$500- $750 detector

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, As some of you may know, I have begun to look at an upgrade to my beloved Fisher F2 (although I will likely not purchase one for the next several months or so, I just want to start narrowing down the field). I realize that most I you are probably bored to death by these questions, so I apologize in advance, but I have one question for you. What do you think is the bet metal detector for old deep coins (8+ inches would be awesome!). I know this is very broad and that I'll get a million different answers, but I just want to know how you guys feel about it, when replying, keep in mind:

-My budget haha
- I can buy a USED detector as well
-I am hunting coins and jewelry, not relics
-I do not do a lot of water hunting
-I do not NEED a screen, I are about performance
-my soil (I believe) I pretty mild
-please tell me why you support that machine

Extra information:
I'm mostly looking into the AT Pro, a used F75, A tek. 8000, or a Whites MXT.

Thank you all in advance!
C4C

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows mayb in 7 months u might find a crazy deal on a deus xp, ull get all the upgrades that come out for free, fully wireless,lighter & quicker response then anything else out there,better in iron, they do have a couple options out there 1 now being a 2,box set up or turn 1 machine into 2, I've used quite a few machines & this one is just unbelievable

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure why every machine you're considering has a screen if you don't want one. I vote for a used Explorer ll or Etrac over ATP any day. Non screened machines Soverign GT(if you ever intend on beach detecting). Maybe Vaquero or Outlaw if not hunting wet, salty sand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure why every machine you're considering has a screen if you don't want one. I vote for a used Explorer ll or Etrac over ATP any day. Non screened machines Soverign GT(if you ever intend on beach detecting). Maybe Vaquero or Outlaw if not hunting wet, salty sand.

I'm REALLY looking into the Outlaw as well, I just forgot to put it on the list.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

And I never said I don't want a screen, I just said that I don't need a screen.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Outlaw is much better than my Explorer in trashy area's and have a 14K ring & a 10K small thin necklace so far to show in ground already covered by the SE.
The Explorer had a hard time picking up thin gold necklaces in my test garden and my GTI 2500 was pretty much useless on them.
I was a diehard Explorer guy for over 5 years.
The Explorer (FBS) is a completely different animal that uses an entirely different technology than the Xterra series (VFlex). The XTerra does very well in trashy areas. Many will leave the Explorer at home and pull out the XTerra for those real trashy sites that seem to constantly null out over the iron. Not to mention, the Explorer is well known for not being super hot on small gold jewelry. I am never concerned about missing a fine gold chain, usually there isn't much weight to them anyway. I've never used an Explorer, but I know the X Terra series ROCKS in trashy sites. If you want a detector that can change frequencies to suit different hunting types, the XTerra is a great choice, in fact it's the ONLY choice for under $600!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I find it shocking that nobody has recommended the AT pro yet!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Explorer (FBS) is a completely different animal that uses an entirely different technology than the Xterra series (VFlex). The XTerra does very well in trashy areas. Many will leave the Explorer at home and pull out the XTerra for those real trashy sites that seem to constantly null out over the iron. Not to mention, the Explorer is well known for not being super hot on small gold jewelry. I am never concerned about missing a fine gold chain, usually there isn't much weight to them anyway. I've never used an Explorer, but I know the X Terra series ROCKS in trashy sites. If you want a detector that can change frequencies to suit different hunting types, the XTerra is a great choice, in fact it's the ONLY choice for under $600!

Thanks for the info :)

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out teknetics T2 it does well for jewelry and coins

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's M6 or MXT gets my vote for a mid-priced machine. Both handle dirt hunting and dry sand very well. For very trashy areas, you can use a small "shooter" coil (4"x6" oval) on either machine. Husband has an M6 and a V3i ($1500). JMHO....

Anita

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
crazy4coins these are my knee jerk reactions to you points

-My budget haha Not funny it sucks buying a new tecter.
- I can buy a USED detector as well Risky, unless you can test it out first.
-I am hunting coins and jewelry, not relics Those are like two peas in a pod.
-I do not do a lot of water hunting Good waterproof machines are expensive mostly because of build, not of ability.
-I do not NEED a screen, I are about performance That's a tough one, most killer machines have a screen, and most not so killer ones have a screen.
-my soil (I believe) I pretty mild That is a plus but you will want a manual gb machine.
-please tell me why you support that machine I said F5 because I like fisher. f5 sounds like a good upgrade from f2 and f5 has autotune which is off the chain.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crazy4coins these are my knee jerk reactions to you points

-My budget haha Not funny it sucks buying a new tecter.
- I can buy a USED detector as well Risky, unless you can test it out first.
-I am hunting coins and jewelry, not relics Those are like two peas in a pod.
-I do not do a lot of water hunting Good waterproof machines are expensive mostly because of build, not of ability.
-I do not NEED a screen, I are about performance That's a tough one, most killer machines have a screen, and most not so killer ones have a screen.
-my soil (I believe) I pretty mild That is a plus but you will want a manual gb machine.
-please tell me why you support that machine I said F5 because I like fisher. f5 sounds like a good upgrade from f2 and f5 has autotune which is off the chain.

True, buying a used machine is risky, and it would be nice if I could try out one before I buy it.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For that budget, buy yourself a used F-75 SE and never look back. If your willing to go a little higher, an Etrac is supposedly killer on deep, old coins.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For that budget, buy yourself a used F-75 SE and never look back. If your willing to go a little higher, an Etrac is supposedly killer on deep, old coins.

Yeah, the F75 is one of the top machines on my list.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your price range so I'll put this out there. I just listed my Minelab Sovereign GT on Ebay, with a reserve of $500. It's in perfect working order.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw your price range so I'll put this out there. I just listed my Minelab Sovereign GT on Ebay, with a reserve of $500. It's in perfect working order.

As much as that sounds appealing, Like I said earlier, I'm not exactly in a position to purchase the new unit quite yet, so I'll have to pass. But thanks for letting me know anyways :)

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are near any dealers, some of them offer very good deals on used machines. I know of one up here in New Hampshire that handles both new and used.

Anita

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
While the Explorer does not excel with small gold,in this price range you will not do better for silver coins in trashy parks and when I say trashy .I mean NYC level of trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread