Stealth Metal Detector for Surface Popping Precious Metal in very public places?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Okay, here's the deal. I live in Southern CA, where there is tons of people out and about at all hours of the day.
My goal is to find precious metal rings and jewelry that are 1-2 inches deep in very public places without drawing attention to myself. I don't know about you, but I feel very self conscience metal detecting and digging manicured lawn in public places. When your in a public area, even very early in the morning, you stand out with a full size detector, headphones, digging tools, and pointer. It would be great if you could walk around a public area completely unnoticed, hear a possible precious metal tone, and pop a ring out of the ground in just a few seconds with just a small screwdriver. You could verify that the target is 1-2 inches down by using a Pointer. You keep your pointer and screwdriver in your pocket, not strapped to you like a warrior ready for battle. You could even bring markers (like golf ball markers) if you hit a good sounding target, but can't pop it out at that moment.

I could make myself an all-metal light weight stealth detector, but it would hit on anything and everything down to about 4-5 inches.

Why hasn't someone designed the following metal detector, or have they?

I envision it looking like a light weight telescopic hiking, trekking, or walking stick with a 4-5 inch light weight coil at the end. The small control unit could be concaved and strapped to your upper arm with a Velcro strap. Then two wires run from the control unit. One wire runs down your arm to the trekking stick handle then down through the stick to the coil and the other wire runs under your shirt to ear buds in your ears (or bluetooth).

My thinking is a specialized low cost unit:
It would be great if the controller was designed with a switch for just two non-adjustable modes. One mode would be pre-set around 50-70 on a discrimination scale of 1-99 for precious metal (and pull tabs unfortunately). The other mode pre-set between 70-99 on a discrimination scale of 1-99 for coin popping. And the sensitivity max out at around a 4-inch depth.

This would be an inexpensive, no display or bells and whistles, and could be a great intercity tool for working very public places indiscreetly. While detecting you would almost look like your picking up trash with a reaching claw tool :)
Think of all the places that you could metal detect, legally :) completely stealth with something like this.

~~I'm not talking about using a MD in your run of the mill park, field, or playground. The places I have in mind, although not illegal that I know of, should have a wealth of old and new finds, less then 3" deep. I'm sure most of you have been places and thought, this would be great if I could MD here, but what would people think or say to an official if I dug out my arsenal and hit it~~
-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not true. The original metal detectors used metal rods, typically aluminum. They also had metal nuts and bolts holding them on. Metal detectors respond to the change in the signal as metal moves around the field. The rod is static and unchanging in that field.

If I put metal near my coils now they go off.

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread