Stealth Metal Detector for Surface Popping Precious Metal in very public places?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Okay, here's the deal. I live in Southern CA, where there is tons of people out and about at all hours of the day.
My goal is to find precious metal rings and jewelry that are 1-2 inches deep in very public places without drawing attention to myself. I don't know about you, but I feel very self conscience metal detecting and digging manicured lawn in public places. When your in a public area, even very early in the morning, you stand out with a full size detector, headphones, digging tools, and pointer. It would be great if you could walk around a public area completely unnoticed, hear a possible precious metal tone, and pop a ring out of the ground in just a few seconds with just a small screwdriver. You could verify that the target is 1-2 inches down by using a Pointer. You keep your pointer and screwdriver in your pocket, not strapped to you like a warrior ready for battle. You could even bring markers (like golf ball markers) if you hit a good sounding target, but can't pop it out at that moment.

I could make myself an all-metal light weight stealth detector, but it would hit on anything and everything down to about 4-5 inches.

Why hasn't someone designed the following metal detector, or have they?

I envision it looking like a light weight telescopic hiking, trekking, or walking stick with a 4-5 inch light weight coil at the end. The small control unit could be concaved and strapped to your upper arm with a Velcro strap. Then two wires run from the control unit. One wire runs down your arm to the trekking stick handle then down through the stick to the coil and the other wire runs under your shirt to ear buds in your ears (or bluetooth).

My thinking is a specialized low cost unit:
It would be great if the controller was designed with a switch for just two non-adjustable modes. One mode would be pre-set around 50-70 on a discrimination scale of 1-99 for precious metal (and pull tabs unfortunately). The other mode pre-set between 70-99 on a discrimination scale of 1-99 for coin popping. And the sensitivity max out at around a 4-inch depth.

This would be an inexpensive, no display or bells and whistles, and could be a great intercity tool for working very public places indiscreetly. While detecting you would almost look like your picking up trash with a reaching claw tool :)
Think of all the places that you could metal detect, legally :) completely stealth with something like this.

~~I'm not talking about using a MD in your run of the mill park, field, or playground. The places I have in mind, although not illegal that I know of, should have a wealth of old and new finds, less then 3" deep. I'm sure most of you have been places and thought, this would be great if I could MD here, but what would people think or say to an official if I dug out my arsenal and hit it~~
-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Problem TH ...

As far as laws go in a highly dense populated area like I'm in. You can't tell where one city starts and the other ends. There is more then just parks and beaches to detect. What might be illegal in one city, may be okay in another. City websites are useless for info, so the point is, I'm not going to each and every city hall to find out where in their city I can MD. And if I did, we all know how that would turn out, whether it's true or not.
So my objective is not to do something illegal, it's just to avoid potential problems with some buffoon in city or county government or to be reported by some green power save the grass tree hugging busy body.

Enough Said :)

How is this comment different than your previous one?

Would you say this if you were before a municipal judge and "expect a different result"?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sorry, my comments were based on your comment......

"And no, I'm not going to ask the powers to be that may or may not have authority over the place (you know how that goes) or research endless government web site to find some dumb law that may or may not pertain to MD"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Treasure_hunter, I can see why you took this statement, to possibly mean: "a site where detecting isn't allowed". However, that's not always what it means. There's an aweful lot of places where there's no "specific" rule that says such a thing. And guess what? Better to keep it that way. And the best way to "keep it that way", is not to be a visible eye-sore. The less busy-bodies see and question it (to possibly make such a rule, or morph something else to apply), THE BETTER :) Like nose-picking, .... not illegal .... but for pete's sake, best to do it with proper timing, so as not to offend people.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So-Ca-beach-scanner, you say:

" .... I just don't want to compromise a potential great site that I can go back to time and time again ....."

Right. And this is why I do most of my hunting turfed parks at odd-ball times. Whatever is needed to keep lookie-lou's from getting their panties in a wad.

There was a particular park in central CA, that about 20 of us md'rs on a CA forum decided we'd all descend upon to have a group hunt. And this park has no specific rule, and gets routinely hunted. So why would it be a problem for a bunch of hunters therefore to have a hunt there? But I noticed as all these guys descended onto this big park meadow (which is the size of several football fields set side-by-side), that passerbys would stop to gawk. Someone comes up to me and asks "is this a club?" and "what are you guys looking for?" and so forth. All of the sudden, I began to feel like a big red X. This type of stopping to watch, and questions and so forth, never would occur if it were just a lone hunter or two (they'd go un-noticed). But when you put 20 people in a confined zone, doing the same thing, it merely draws scrutiny. Eg.: "gee, what are all those guys doing?" and "gee I wonder if they're allowed to do that?" "what are they finding? Will they leave a mess?", etc.. And sure enough, some cop comes along and booted us all !

At that point, it really wasn't going to be a good idea to debate him, and "get clarified" that we can or can't be there. So our party was over. But it impressed upon me big-time, that all-too-often, there's scores of places you can hunt with no problem, and be ignored. But the minute you're an eye-sore begging for attention, presto, someone can morph something else to apply, or assume you're about to leave a mess, or whatever. Hence I do all turf-hunting at very-odd-ball low traffic times. And if I'm with several buddies, we "spread out".

There's absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about this. It's simply common sense. I do not understand why some hunters assume the red-carpets should be rolled out for them, and they should be allowed to waltz over beach blankets at high noon. There's scores of places with no rules about detecting, and our best tactic is to keep it that way, and don't beg for attention.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree wholeheartedly with Tom on this one.

There's a lot to be said for "low key" and not baiting trouble unless that's what you're looking for and not pop tabs. :thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting isn't the publics point of contention, it's the retrieval. Keep your bag of picked up trash you have retrieved from their lovely park on hand to show all who inquire what you are doing. You're a kind hearted trash hating park loving citizen, who likes to wave a metal detector over the metal "trash" so you can rid the park of it. And smile. We seem like odd balls to the general public any how, that is your camouflage.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_hunter, I can see why you took this statement, to possibly mean: "a site where detecting isn't allowed". However, that's not always what it means. There's an aweful lot of places where there's no "specific" rule that says such a thing. And guess what? Better to keep it that way. And the best way to "keep it that way", is not to be a visible eye-sore. The less busy-bodies see and question it (to possibly make such a rule, or morph something else to apply), THE BETTER :) Like nose-picking, .... not illegal .... but for pete's sake, best to do it with proper timing, so as not to offend people.

I was indeed talking about the comment " a site where detecting isn't allowed".

You know me, I research local rules and laws myself, I don't call and ask local officials anything, I just go detect.

In 6 years I have only been asked to stop once, that was in a state park my first hunt, I had forgotten it was a state park, i go there so often to swim and it was my very first hunt ever first day in hobby.

Ranger was very polite and respectful, he asked if I was looking for something I had lost, he told me I could look for something I had lost but I could not just go hunting in general looking for anything I could find.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

therelichunter

Jul 8, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I read your first post and question this popped in my head.. haha

Can you take like an aluminum walking cane, mount a sniper coil on the end.
run the wire through the cane mount the detector box on your belt under a coat
and run the ear phone into a Bluetooth adapter and use a earwig???
the only thing that can be seen would be the wire from the cane to the box..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read your first post and question this popped in my head.. haha

Can you take like an aluminum walking cane, mount a sniper coil on the end.
run the wire through the cane mount the detector box on your belt under a coat
and run the ear phone into a Bluetooth adapter and use a earwig???
the only thing that can be seen would be the wire from the cane to the box..

The coil will respond to the aluminum cane which is why the lower rod on detectors are fiber.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such thing as stealth detecting in public. I was at the beach last year after a storm. Detecting is definitely allowed. There were quite a few people there. A truck from the park drove by and the glare was amazing. You'd have though we were robbing a bank or something. I'd like to avoid over zealous public employees who have nothing better to do than watch an old fart like me try to find scraps of metal in a 10 mile long beach! Hello taxpayers! Your tax dollars at work.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They have got the right concept over there in the UK, but way over engineered and over priced at $12,229.00, and I see KELLYCO has them for sale.

My thinking was; same concept with trekking stick , small 3-4 inch coil, no display, and budget friendly between 1-2 hundred. Just something to have as another tool in the tool box.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your best to make "on lookers" feel comfortable! Of course there will almost always be someone that may choose to be disturbed by our hobby for their own reasons so, they will just disturb themselves. Leave your dig holes looking like you've never been there, in the grass, on the beach or anywhere! Dress conservatively with complimentary clothing colors for each place you are at. Be kind and nice to adults, children and Puppy's. If people are there then be considerate about "their space". All of this means giving up something by us however, there seems to be a negative connotation out there to metal detecting, some of it is just due to some who dig and leave a spot torn up. If we intend to continue detecting WE must choose to overcome the Negative Spin people have about detectorists in general, IMHO........................63bkpkr

I like reducing all the wires so I use wireless headphones, I keep my digging tool as small as possible for the appropriate site (grass, beach, etc.) and I try to make my trash collecting obvious. Also, I like people, children and Puppy's of all age's.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do your best to make "on lookers" feel comfortable! Of course there will almost always be someone that may choose to be disturbed by our hobby for their own reasons so, they will just disturb themselves. Leave your dig holes looking like you've never been there, in the grass, on the beach or anywhere! Dress conservatively with complimentary clothing colors for each place you are at. Be kind and nice to adults, children and Puppy's. If people are there then be considerate about "their space". All of this means giving up something by us however, there seems to be a negative connotation out there to metal detecting, some of it is just due to some who dig and leave a spot torn up. If we intend to continue detecting WE must choose to overcome the Negative Spin people have about detectorists in general, IMHO........................63bkpkr

I like reducing all the wires so I use wireless headphones, I keep my digging tool as small as possible for the appropriate site (grass, beach, etc.) and I try to make my trash collecting obvious. Also, I like people, children and Puppy's of all age's.

Dress halfway decent but don't dress in tuxedo.....they'll think you are finding gold with every swing! :D

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about finding a good location that you can md legally? Shortcuts, in most endeavors, tend to be hazardous.

Look at the fine example Congress is setting for the rest of the country with laws they ignore or pass to enrich themselves. Up until a few years ago they could do Insider Trading in the Stock Market, and if you watched 60 Minutes last night, they can spend Campaign Contributions on personal trips and stuff for themselves and family. The law makers for the country are a bunch of crooks!!

dirtfisher28

Oct 10, 2013
lancaster sc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always pretend to be blind waving your stealth detector and walk with a service dog to dig up the finds for you bet nobody would question the blind guy!!:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And all of these still gives a black eye to our hobby and reasons to ban it in more places.......

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

And all of these still gives a black eye to our hobby and reasons to ban it in more places.......

Sure. You're right. Which is EXACTLY why those type people who may not like it, simply will not see me. If they don't see you, then presto, no "black eye". I mean, heck, what did you intend to do: wear neon orange with flashing lights, and go at high noon during an archie convention? :icon_scratch:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil will respond to the aluminum cane which is why the lower rod on detectors are fiber.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

That's not true. The original metal detectors used metal rods, typically aluminum. They also had metal nuts and bolts holding them on. Metal detectors respond to the change in the signal as metal moves around the field. The rod is static and unchanging in that field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread