Best Detector for Jewelry?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatever you are good with. Just dig all targets. I like my gold bug pro with 5" coil for its easy pinpointing. Good pinpointing= fast recovery=more targets dug=better odds one is good.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, Etrac is NOT the best for jewelry. You can swing a gold ring 2 inches under its coil and hear crickets. A T2 would sing like a bird doing the same test at 5 inches.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, Etrac is NOT the best for jewelry. You can swing a gold ring 2 inches under its coil and hear crickets. A T2 would sing like a bird doing the same test at 5 inches.

Agreed

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can do that, you have a problem with your Etrac or something way out of wack with your settings. That being said though Minelabs aren't super duper at air test anyway. The real advantage is when your hunting in real world conditions, i.e. iron infested sites,trashy sites, salt water beaches, highly mineralized ground, etc! Have you done a reset on your Etrac?

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tested the Etrac under various settings with gold. The fact is, Etrac is not a good gold machine. Silver, it's one of the best, but not gold.This isn't new news.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my 6 gram, 14k wedding band in auto sensitivity, standard Minelab coin mode, I get 9" easily and in manual sensitivity (26) I get 14.5". And yes it's new news to me. I'm glad my Etrac can't read these posts, she may start believing it too!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've tested the Etrac under various settings with gold. The fact is, Etrac is not a good gold machine. Silver, it's one of the best, but not gold.This isn't new news.

metal-detector-dude, Fletch88 is right. The etrac can pick up gold rings just fine. Either your setttings are askew, or the gold ring you're sampling with is some super teensy-dainty thing?

Yes the Etrac (ANY power house deep-seeking machine, for that matter) will wain on earing studs, tinsel thin chains, etc.... But given the power-house that they are, the explorers can still be set to find gold rings, just fine (barring, as I say, something dainty and feather weight?).

So to answer your question, a LOT of machines can be made to find gold rings in parks just fine. All you do is turn down the disc. knob, go to any urban park, and I bet you have no lack of low conductors to choose from. Finding low conductors in parks in hardly the problem for any machine. In older blighted parks, guys have been passing low conductors for years (in their quest for old deep silver coins). So you can go to a lot of parks now, and dig low conductors till your arms fall off. Having a machine that "finds more of them" hardly seems to be the problem, if there's all you want, as it is, with most any machine. JMHO.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bought this machine new and you've done a factory reset there has to be a problem if it can't get but 2" on a wedding band. I would send it in for a checkup.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
It's not the best but I've found 4 rings, an ear ring and 2 really thin gold necklaces with my Outlaw. My Explorer SE with Pro Coil wasn't good at all on small gold.
Three of the above finds were found with my Outlaw in places I already did with my Explorer.
With the higher frequencies the AT Gold and Tejon should be really good on the gold.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just about all machines will find jewelry. You just have to dig all targets. Gold rings will ring up as pull tabs. Silver will sound like quarters. I don't know if there is a best machine but some may work better than others.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say the best jewelry detector would be umm, your wife, or girlfriend. Sorry had to say it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can do that, you have a problem with your Etrac or something way out of wack with your settings. That being said though Minelabs aren't super duper at air test anyway. The real advantage is when your hunting in real world conditions, i.e. iron infested sites,trashy sites, salt water beaches, highly mineralized ground, etc! Have you done a reset on your Etrac?
Agreed, I've found gold rings at amazing depths. Something must be wrong with his machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread