upgrade

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my heart set on owning a CTX3030. Just started detecting this year, and have a good grasp of whats going on, with over 300 hours on my AT Pro, which I like a lot. Other than a little more depth, GPS, and a lot of tech bells and whistles, I may use or not, they are a lot of $$$$ I have tried to talk myself out of this, but there is one loud mouth voice in my head, that wont let it go:BangHead: I hunt fresh water beaches, parks, home sites, tot lots and schools, and am retired, so I know I would have lots of time to use it. Or just buy silver with the $$$$ and keep hunting with the ATP? I am sure my wife is hoping someone talks me out of this!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started last week.. but have had other hobbies and upgraditis. If it is something you will use and you are not putting yourself in financial peril (you have the disposable income and are not hitting savings you live on) then go for it. If you are hitting your living budget, keep going with what you have and make enough with your findings to afford a new machine!
Food, heat/cooling, shelter, gas and medical are what matters, don't compromise the important stuff for something that may not provide a good ROI.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On and off for years, I played golf.
I spent far more on golf clubs, green fees, golf carts, balls, traveling to courses, etc., than I have ever spent on metal detectors, and other than a few prizes at local tournaments, I never received any monetary gain from golf.
Through the years, I have bought seven or eight metal detectors, all have paid for themselves, the expenses of using them and a nice monetary gain as long as you don't count the time I lost that I would have been working at a real job.
The pleasure I have derived from metal detecting exceeds the pleasure derived from golf and I think the exercise metal detecting has served me better health wise.
Metal detecting is a great hobby, a great experience in learning history and can lead to knowledge of coins, jewelry, artifacts and many other things that we encounter in our daily lives.
If you make the purchase of another detector and decide to leave the hobby, more than likely you can sell your detector for half or more of what you paid for it.
I will purchase another detector someday but right now, the AT Pro is serving me well.
Good luck & HH

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX3030 is a great detector. I dig less trash with it, it works well in iron, and works quiet at the saltwater beach. I love to track my hunts with the GPS. As Jeweler21 said, it's about the price of a good set of golf equipment or some nice fishing reels and poles.

Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you, I have a lot of hours on mine and have used it on land and in the ocean at Myrtle Beach SC, Panama City FL, and the gulf coast of Texas.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the main reason you want the CX 3030 instead of the AT Pro? Depth, If your going to be hunting the same type of areas? Just think it thru all the pros and cons you'll have your answer.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I confess to being a "detector addict". However, over the last 10 -12 years every detector I've brought into my stable has been used. This has enabled me to pick up machines that wouldn't have fit my budget at full retail. If a person doesn't really NEED an upgrade, but just wants one, I'd suggest patience and watching for a good buy on a used one. In the meantime, I'd suggest getting out with your current detector and use the devil out of it as any detector in hand will give you goodies if you keep it working. Just my two bits.
luvsdux

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your wife isn't going to like me but I say go for it...
300 hrs sounds like your not quitting any time soon.
I shot guns for the longest time I can tell you this is by far cheaper then what I was doing. My last pistol I bought I could of bought 2 ctx's
As long as you have the money enjoy your hobby.... your kids are just going to spend it when you are gone...

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its really not the money, and the wife can buy whatever she wants, so she wouldn't say a word. I have 3 coils, with covers, all set up on extra lower rods, pin pointers, sand scoop, Lesche, and Samson diggers, every accessory you could need and really love this detector, so I think I am good for now........................what the hell was I thinking! Maybe some day!

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've picked up a couple of "somedays" when I ran into good deals on used ones and have enjoyed them just as much. That's one of the reasons I'm detector poor which may be an addiction, but I don't smoke, drink to excess or gamble heavy so what the heck.
luvsdux

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Coop,

Looks like you may have 4+ months to think about it, ground has been solid as rock since the weekend.

I'll have to admit to having suffered a severe case of upgraditis when I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago. (I had a radio shack detector as a kid in the 70's). I thought hey a detector would be fun so I had my wife and kids get me a bounty hunter for christmas 2 years ago. After I had it and hunted around some. I started researching treasurenet I knew I needed better equipment. Since I didn't want to upgrade again anytime soon so I got an excal for the beach then when summer was ending I 'needed' an e-trac for the dirt. Also added the required accessories like pro pointer and smaller coil etc..

I like both machines alot and I have had some success -a couple gold rings, some nice old coins and clad, but I have got a ways to go to 'earn' my money back.

As has been stated you can spend your money on other hobbies like golf, but at least with this hobby you have a chance of making it back. Most days I happy if i cover my gas in clad and thrilled if I hit silver.

Anyways treasure hunting is just damn fun and if you can afford it why not? Just wish I had more time to hunt.

Best of Luck,

Pete

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Pete; Ground hard as a rock here also, going to try to get to the beach a few more times, but 35 degrees and windy kinda takes some of the fun outa it!!I have never been a golfer, but did bow and gun hunt for over 25 years, so I have spent plenty of $$$$ on hobbies The AT Pro is great and I put about 300 hours in since spring........................... I think its just the what if factor, your right, I have 4 months to think about it. Good ice making weather!! HH
Hey Coop,

Looks like you may have 4+ months to think about it, ground has been solid as rock since the weekend.

I'll have to admit to having suffered a severe case of upgraditis when I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago. (I had a radio shack detector as a kid in the 70's). I thought hey a detector would be fun so I had my wife and kids get me a bounty hunter for christmas 2 years ago. After I had it and hunted around some. I started researching treasurenet I knew I needed better equipment. Since I didn't want to upgrade again anytime soon so I got an excal for the beach then when summer was ending I 'needed' an e-trac for the dirt. Also added the required accessories like pro pointer and smaller coil etc..

I like both machines alot and I have had some success -a couple gold rings, some nice old coins and clad, but I have got a ways to go to 'earn' my money back.

As has been stated you can spend your money on other hobbies like golf, but at least with this hobby you have a chance of making it back. Most days I happy if i cover my gas in clad and thrilled if I hit silver.

Anyways treasure hunting is just damn fun and if you can afford it why not? Just wish I had more time to hunt.

Best of Luck,

Pete

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pete; Ground hard as a rock here also, going to try to get to the beach a few more times, but 35 degrees and windy kinda takes some of the fun outa it!!I have never been a golfer, but did bow and gun hunt for over 25 years, so I have spent plenty of $$$$ on hobbies The AT Pro is great and I put about 300 hours in since spring........................... I think its just the what if factor, your right, I have 4 months to think about it. Good ice making weather!! HH

Golf.....Guns.....Detectors....small change. Bass fishing...now there's an expensive hobby!!!
And that new Ranger is full of nice rods, reels and most kinds of lures known to mankind. It makes for a high priced fish dinner! But fun getting it. :headbang:

P2150234.JPG

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coop you are right the season looks about over. I am heading to Traverse City tomorrow and was hoping to hunt the beach on the day off. I don't think I'll even be able to see the sand now, guess I'll take the toboggan up instead of the detector. Gotta love the four seasons - or move out of Michigan!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Pete

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just put the ATP in the other hand for a month then switch back. You'll get over it in no time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions