Which metal detector for a beginner ?

Dubstep

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in australia and all metal dectors here are expensive and quite hard to find my budget it $400 which of these are best? Ill be buying my detector in 1-2 days

Minelab X-Terra 305 $395

garret ace $250

Whites Coin master $324

Whites Coin Master Pro $445

bounty hunty quick sliver $200

These are the ones i have found Which should i go for? Are tips? Please help

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote for the Minelab X-Terra 305

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well since you live in Australia, you should buy the Minelab.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either the Minelab or Garret. I have both manufactures and like them both. A pinpointer is a must, don't go cheap either. You get what you pay for expecially with the pinpointer. Go Garrett or one of those Vipeprobes or whatever they are called. My buddy has one and it's pretty good. I still like the Garrett though. I have read a lot of post one here with guys making some nice finds with the Ace 250. Either way, Good luck and enjoy every minute of detecting.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the minelab if u get the ace 250 u will wanna give uo the hobby. It is s very annoying bell tone machine.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Welcome to Tnet Dubstep. And a big hello from Arkansas. I would go with the Garrett Ace 250. Good luck & post your finds.

GOD BLESS!!!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to someone who had an ace don't waste ur money.

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $400 you can get an ACE 350 and Pro Pointer. The 350 has the better coil and more discrimination.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to someone who had an ace don't waste ur money.

Yea, the ACE does have a annoying Bell tone...But for a Begginer Machine....I did quite well with it in the couple years it was my primary machine

Dont get me wrong...of course the Minelab is going to be better, but I was giving him an option that is best for his wallet.....My ACE only got me more obessed with detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab X-Terra 505 if you could find one used. Or save up a while longer for a new one. From what I read the 505 is quite a step up from 305.

Last edited:

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would by the ace 350 they run about 350 to 379 and a pro pointer about 129 good luck

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say do your research on each one. Buy what your gut tells you but if you enjoy the hobby no matter what you buy you will want a better one later. I bought an Ace 250 as my 1st detector and loved it but I moved on after 3 months to a better detector. The Ace 250 does well on coins as all detectors do. A Garrett pro pointer is a must. Check out the forums on the detector brands and see what they all have to say as well. No matter what you buy some guys will love it and others hate it. In reality it's all how well you learn your detector and what it tells you.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would by the ace 350 they run about 350 to 379 and a pro pointer about 129 good luck

For that price u get the annoying bell town and cheap kiddie detector for 399 u can grt the xterra305 like the poster said about.

I wouldn't recommend the ace line of detectors to anyone. I met up with a guy who got the 350 and hes regreting it right now.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since you live in Australia, you should buy the Minelab.

I agree with fella, Australia is the home of mine-lab. If I were you I would spend a little extra money the first time around and get a mid range MD.Wait until you can afford a mid range one. Especially if I lived in Australia.

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
Tesoro silver umax! Very affordable and easy to use. I have found a lot neat stuff with it. Tesoro guarantees their detectors for life.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say, find the cheapest dang machine you can get your hands on, hunt for a few months to see how much you like it. Meanwhile, read the New Finds forums on TNet regularly, paying attention to what machines are being used, watch some youtube videos. By the time you decide to upgrade, your finds may pay for it. My first year finds paid for my upgrade in Gold and Silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions