Can someone explain the sounds coming from my Whites Classic Idx?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'd probably have to hear what your definition of each is. In general, you want to go after repeatable sounds in the good target range. I'd take your machine down to a popular swimming beach and start recovering targets. You'll learn reasonably fast what your machine is telling you after all the different targets you'll find there. You can do it in a park too but the beach is much easier and faster to make a recovery. After several hundred sounds matched to finds, you'll be able to guess what's in the ground before you dig.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blips and skips are usually something that is being discriminated out. Usually a trash item but not always, depending on where you have the disc set. Most folks will ignore these sounds and only dig the smooth, round, full beeps. The double beeps are usually a target on the surface or multiple targets close together. The IDX is a slow sweep, quick response machine meaning that the coil can be swept slowly to very slowly and it will respond to a target very quickly. This makes the IDX and Classic series of detectors about as good a detector as you'll find for hunting trashy sites. It is also tops in picking out good targets in iron and nail infested sites. For these trashy sites use a small (4" to 6") coil and move slowly through it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah digging a signal you don't understand is the only way your going to figure them out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice. When you start finding the good stuff, you'll know exactly what it's saying! GL. HH!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an IDX Pro for a few years and it performs exactly like Tom Slick said it does. I finally parted ways with it slowly and only when I bought newer detectors and did find that it would not find some masked targets.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ha, Rob is right: there's no shortcut to the school of "hard-knocks". I suppose though, that if you had someone around you with the same machine, and could trade off flagged signals, he could tell you "skip this and that, versus dig this and that". And he might tell you "because that's iron" or "because this one is a large overload" and so forth. But really though, it's still not a good substitute for the school of hard knocks. Because once you've dug up and stared at a variety of objects, making the mental connection between that, versus the signal it gave, only THEN do the lights go on, and you start to develop mental patterns. And just be aware that some items of a variety of values might share the same TID/tones. For example: a car key and a coin will be similar. A pulltab and a gold ring will be similar, etc...

Oh, and one final note: I had to chuckle when I read the title of your post about "explaining sounds". Because when you think of it, that's impossible in printed text. For example, no amount of printed text can explain what the sound of c-minor sounds like, right? It has to be heard. Same for when someone says "repeatable" or "bold" or "smooth" or "full". All such terms are arbitrary and nebulous. Because all those things mean one thing to one person, and another to another. Again, things that must be heard and seen (in conjunction with the way the coil is being swung, criss-crossed, etc... as to how the user is isolating various sounds).

So either pick a spot prolific with easy clad, and dig 300 signals. Or hook up with a proficient user in your area, to flag and compare signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread