Kellyco Vulcan 360 Pinpointer first look

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco’s entry into the world of GPP, Pro 25, RS, and others is now available at a whopping sale price of $179.95. Snow days and boredom and a high degree of curiosity contributed to the call that caused Fed X to bring me yet another box. When it arrived and finally made it on to my bench for the initial inspection I was somewhat impressed. There are a few things that I felt are on the down side of this product. First off was the price which seems to be well above market. Then came the initial inspection and the need for a mini screwdriver to change out the battery. A person could have a sack full of batteries in the field and without the little screw driver you could not change out the cell. The supplied carrying holster does however have small areas on the side of the main loop that would allow for the little supplied driver to go along with you. There is no light for those evening tips and dark deep holes. The over all length is about two inches longer than my Pro 25 and GPP. The speaker is just behind the main switch so I found that very little use caused some debris to begin to collect so I went to my truck and got me one of those spot band aids and put it over that area. The sound is lower in frequency that the GPP and Pro 25 but was louder than my Pro 25 which was a plus. It does have the proximity alert like the GPP and Pro 25. The overall length and contoured grip was also a plus for my old bones. I slipped on one of my Home Depot protective caps and took it along with the GPP and Pro 25 to a local lot for a two hour run. My sensitivity setting was a 5 which is max. I used one of my small detectors (ATP) to locate all targets then I took each of the three pointers and went back over the located area and tried to locate the target. In many cases the Vulcan 360 was able to see targets that the other two did not respond to. The Minelab Pro 25 came in second. This means that the GPP just got delegated to stay in escrow while the Pro 25 and Vulcan go to the field with me. Then comes week after next when the Whites arrives.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never change batteries in anything in the field, I don't wait till battery is dead to change. ...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

nmarz77

Feb 26, 2014
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Gold Bug Pro, Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your talking about a single unit, had no issues with mine yet.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

I found a review on another site mentioning the same problem with the insides pulling out when removing the battery. Apparently this is a known issue with Kellyco. Seems they chose to use a small dab of glue to hold everything inside instead of a screw. Hopefully they will correct the design flaw. Otherwise this pinpointer is great!

omahaorange

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Vulcan a couple weeks ago, have used it, and like it. I was torn between this and the ProPointer, but after reading about the GPP problems, and several favorable reviews on the Vulcan, I picked it. turning on is not a problem. I use the belt holster, I have not had an issue with it turning on accidentally. I do notice if I leave it sit a few minutes without using it, it will start to beep on its own. If I remember the product manual (I'm too lay to go get right now) the Vulcan does have an auto-off feature, and will start to beep to let you know it's about to shut itself off. I absolutely love the device so far.

Texanhunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Vulcan 360 yesterday. Used it this morning for about 2 hours then it quit. I changed the battery and it seems there is not enough pressure when I screwed the cap back on. It works fine when I am pushing the battery just a little bit by hand, but I tried 3 different brand name batteries along with the one it came with, but its the same issue with all 4 batteries.
Kellyco is replacing it, but now I have to wait till I send this one back ground shipping and then wait again for another ground shipment. 2 weeks basically. It took 4 days just to get the one I have now.
Oh, and Kellyco isnt even going to email me the RMA tag to print out until tomorrow. This has been a bad experience.

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, we are finding that issue in less than 1% of the units that have gone out and it is already being addressed. Of course with anyone that experiences this issue or any other for that matter the units are being replaced right away at no charge. As always with forum members, if you have any issues with any of the products we sell feel free to contact me directly via email and I will do all I can to help you out.

Gene Knight
Director of International
and Domestic Sales
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Vulcan 360 yesterday. Used it this morning for about 2 hours then it quit. I changed the battery and it seems there is not enough pressure when I screwed the cap back on. It works fine when I am pushing the battery just a little bit by hand, but I tried 3 different brand name batteries along with the one it came with, but its the same issue with all 4 batteries.
Kellyco is replacing it, but now I have to wait till I send this one back ground shipping and then wait again for another ground shipment. 2 weeks basically. It took 4 days just to get the one I have now.
Oh, and Kellyco isnt even going to email me the RMA tag to print out until tomorrow. This has been a bad experience.

Texashunter, email me directly with your info and I'll get you taken care of.

Gene Knight
and Domestic Sales
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir for your prompt attention...

Texanhunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on my replacement Vulcan. KCo has been able to expedite the shipping of a replacement without having received the defective one.
I am certainly very happy about that. Sent the old one back today and KCo has already shipped me out my replacement per tracking.
I'm hoping the replacement stays in working order and can accept any brand battery without having troubles again. I had given my suggestions to Mr. Knight about what I noticed that could be the cause.
Hopefully in a revamped model they will address the issues. Since I know current stock cant really be changed, I would assume.

nmarz77

Feb 26, 2014
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that they expedited yours for you. I asked for the same thing amd was turned down. Still waiting on an email with a shipping label so I can send it back. Didn't even recieve a call on Monday like I was told I would....I had to call Kellco back. I'm tempted to repair it myself the way it should have been made from the factory. Very dissatisfied with the customer service. Buying local next time.

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that they expedited yours for you. I asked for the same thing amd was turned down. Still waiting on an email with a shipping label so I can send it back. Didn't even recieve a call on Monday like I was told I would....I had to call Kellco back. I'm tempted to repair it myself the way it should have been made from the factory. Very dissatisfied with the customer service. Buying local next time.

nmarz77, shoot me an email ASAP with your info and I will get you taken care of.

Gene Knight
and Domestic Sales
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]

Texanhunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was turned down at for the replacement while the defective one was shipped when I called KCo by phone, but Mr. Knight pushed the issue and got it out for me per email.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was turned down at for the replacement while the defective one was shipped when I called KCo by phone, but Mr. Knight pushed the issue and got it out for me per email.

Gene Knight is the man.... Kellyco cares about their customer service, it is just the matter of reaching the person.....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gene Knight is the man.... Kellyco cares about their customer service, it is just the matter of reaching the person..... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

It sounds like some of the people care about customer service if you have to hunt Gene down to get anything done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like some of the people care about customer service if you have to hunt Gene down to get anything done.

What's to hunt down, Gene has posted his contact info here multiple times and said to contact him if there is an issue..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's to hunt down, Gene has posted his contact info here multiple times and said to contact him if there is an issue.. American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Yeah that works fine for the 2% of people on T-Net that have bought one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, we can't help people who aren't here.... :cool:

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sent an email to Gene about my Vulcan 360, everything should be ok soon.

nmarz77

Feb 26, 2014
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recieved a prepaid packing slip while I was out of town. Of course it's for ground shipping so I will be out of a pinpointer for who knows how long. Thanks Gene for trying to help but if you have to search the forums for issues to try and fix then that doesn't say much for the company you work for or the products they manufacture and sell. I'm going to send my pinpointer back with the slip I recieved and wait like the general public who don't post on a forum have to do. I like to experience the truth so I can report about it. I felt like I was pulling teeth just to get that prepaid ground packing slip. I felt humiliated that I did something wrong and I was made to feel like I had the pjnpointer for too long and that Kellyco usually does not pay for shipping of thier pinpointers within that time period (which was 3 weeks including the week it took to ship to me and the 5 days I waited for a call back that I never recieved). I wasnt asking for a miracle but I do expect a company to jump to action when they see an issue(s) with their own products.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So even though they sent a prepaid shipping slip your not happy because it's not air....Don't understand the "humiliated" comment either....

nmarz77

Feb 26, 2014
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not happy because I asked if they could send one out so I was not without a pinpointer and I was laughed at and told no but that I could buy another one if I wanted. Sorry but not gonna buy another poorly assembled pinpointer. I then was told I would need to ship it back. I said that I had just received the pinpointer and that the cost just went up because now I have to pay to ship a defect back. That when I was told that they usually dont pay for shipping when the customer has had it so long. He said he wpuld make an exception and that I would receive an RMA by email and then a packing slip by email after that in a few minutes. I recieved the RMA right away but not the packing slip until the next day after I had already left to go out of town. Of course then I see its for ground shipping which will take another week. I was also made to feel stupid that the battery was loosing connection because I hadn't tightened the cover down enough....well guess what, I did and the same thing happened. Only when I put a peice of foam in there did it made constant contact. The tone of someone's voice over the phone can say a lot and unless you were on the call with me then you wouldn't know. I'm going to take photos and post so you can see what myself and others are talking about. Also their packing slip is useless because I now need a box to ship it back in, packing paper and packing tape.....I will just ship it in a usps box and get it there in 2-3 days for the price I would pay for all of that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread