Kellyco Vulcan 360 Pinpointer first look

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco’s entry into the world of GPP, Pro 25, RS, and others is now available at a whopping sale price of $179.95. Snow days and boredom and a high degree of curiosity contributed to the call that caused Fed X to bring me yet another box. When it arrived and finally made it on to my bench for the initial inspection I was somewhat impressed. There are a few things that I felt are on the down side of this product. First off was the price which seems to be well above market. Then came the initial inspection and the need for a mini screwdriver to change out the battery. A person could have a sack full of batteries in the field and without the little screw driver you could not change out the cell. The supplied carrying holster does however have small areas on the side of the main loop that would allow for the little supplied driver to go along with you. There is no light for those evening tips and dark deep holes. The over all length is about two inches longer than my Pro 25 and GPP. The speaker is just behind the main switch so I found that very little use caused some debris to begin to collect so I went to my truck and got me one of those spot band aids and put it over that area. The sound is lower in frequency that the GPP and Pro 25 but was louder than my Pro 25 which was a plus. It does have the proximity alert like the GPP and Pro 25. The overall length and contoured grip was also a plus for my old bones. I slipped on one of my Home Depot protective caps and took it along with the GPP and Pro 25 to a local lot for a two hour run. My sensitivity setting was a 5 which is max. I used one of my small detectors (ATP) to locate all targets then I took each of the three pointers and went back over the located area and tried to locate the target. In many cases the Vulcan 360 was able to see targets that the other two did not respond to. The Minelab Pro 25 came in second. This means that the GPP just got delegated to stay in escrow while the Pro 25 and Vulcan go to the field with me. Then comes week after next when the Whites arrives.

Upvote 0

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to use a micro screwdriver to change the battery?! Holy hell, that's an immediate NO-GO for any field item.

So I'm not the only one that thinks that is a silly design. I keep a spare 9V in my bag just in case my GPP dies. I like to be prepared for the worst case when I am out in the field. Sure, my multitool has a micro screwdriver, but come on, why not adopt the traditional rubber ring and screw cap design that has worked well for others?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a big deal, screw driver can be attached to anything in your hunting supplies if your worried about losing it......

Pinpointer works great.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer works great.....

I'm glad to hear that. I've had a few bad interactions with Kellyco, so I was pretty skeptical about this pp. The more quality out there, the more opportunity for price reduction and/or increased performance to set themselves apart.

vhakra

Mar 31, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
BH T4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered one to replace the Garrett that my toddler destroyed. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you think of it, and how it works.

vhakra

Mar 31, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
BH T4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Vulcan today. Too bad there's still a pile of snow and ice about. I unpacked it and thought I'd attach a picture of what you get out of the box. It's nice to have a battery included as well as a small screwdriver and some extra screws. However, I would use a bigger screwdriver with a good bit. The Vulcan 360 feels pretty solid in the hand and has five sensitivity settings. It gives a good beep and a small vibration when going off, but not overly loud. Hopefully, I'll have more to tell you all soon when the weather warms up. IMG_1177.jpg

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you will enjoy the Vulcan. I like mine but that pesky old TRX came in and I have been playing with it but I still take the Vulcan in my tote bag every trip and as the newness wears off the TRX I am sure it will be getting equal time in the dirt soon.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ordered one from Kellyco for $120.

Just ordered one today myself at the sale price! I have been using the GPP with pretty good results, but same issues already mentioned. Figured I'd give this one a try.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably have your detector to close to the pointer when you're using the pointer. Try moving your detector away from where you dig your plug. My Garrett will act up if any of my detectors are within 4' of the pointer.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anymore updates from Vulcan 360 users ???

I am looking at buying the AT Pro detector and the Full kit with extra coil, etc. etc and it comes with this Vulcan 360 Pin-pointer.

Anymore updates on users thoughts of this bad boy?

I know the Garrett PP is solid but the price I am getting the AT Pro kit for with this pinpointer its basically free in the end really ... but I want to know it quality and not a cheapie and will work just as well as the PP?

Thanks guys for any more info you can provide on this. :)

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anymore updates from Vulcan 360 users ???

I am looking at buying the AT Pro detector and the Full kit with extra coil, etc. etc and it comes with this Vulcan 360 Pin-pointer.

Anymore updates on users thoughts of this bad boy?

I know the Garrett PP is solid but the price I am getting the AT Pro kit for with this pinpointer its basically free in the end really ... but I want to know it quality and not a cheapie and will work just as well as the PP?

Thanks guys for any more info you can provide on this. :)

mine is still going strong and the main issue I have is the main on/off switch is very easy to hit when transporting and staying on if stored next to something metal. As far as being solid, it is ever bit as solid as the Gpp which isn't exactly a pillar of function and carries a failure history they should not be very proud of.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mine is still going strong and the main issue I have is the main on/off switch is very easy to hit when transporting and staying on if stored next to something metal. As far as being solid, it is ever bit as solid as the Gpp which isn't exactly a pillar of function and carries a failure history they should not be very proud of.

How is the issue with the slow turn on?

I read that it needs a few seconds after pressing the button to initiate.

I would assume this would be a pain when just getting into the hole bu more of a pain if it takes a few seconds "every time" you press the button?!?!?!?

If it is that way you search and and then get close, sift some dirt etc. and still don;t see it so you need to press the button again ... do you have to wait another few seconds for it to initiate again?

For what I am basically getting it for with the package deal I am going to be using this pinpointer 100% percent so I am hoping it is good ... just curious about how it functions when it comes to this issue and if there are any other shortcomings to report that make it less appealing then the highly popular PP?

thanks so much for any further info you can provide. :)

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been one to be in a hurry while I was out with my hobby. The button is very easy to push and it takes a tiny period to do its initial beeps to tell you the sensing level it is on. I have not noticed that time being much different than the TRX or the Gpp. It is just an area that didnt jump out as a problem. If that is a real issue turn the pointer on and lay it down then cut ur plug. Just lay it where there is no metal or it will talk to you. Good luck.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is the issue with the slow turn on?

I read that it needs a few seconds after pressing the button to initiate.

I would assume this would be a pain when just getting into the hole bu more of a pain if it takes a few seconds "every time" you press the button?!?!?!?

If it is that way you search and and then get close, sift some dirt etc. and still don;t see it so you need to press the button again ... do you have to wait another few seconds for it to initiate again?

For what I am basically getting it for with the package deal I am going to be using this pinpointer 100% percent so I am hoping it is good ... just curious about how it functions when it comes to this issue and if there are any other shortcomings to report that make it less appealing then the highly popular PP?

thanks so much for any further info you can provide. :)

It takes about 3 seconds to turn. I don't like it. When I grab it, I am anxious to see what is in the ground. Honestly, as far as performance, I think the GPP is just as good. Plus I find the carrying case to be a little tight, which makes it difficult to remove the PP sometimes.

Overall, it isn't a bad product, just not the "be all to end all," in my opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes about 3 seconds to turn. I don't like it. When I grab it, I am anxious to see what is in the ground. Honestly, as far as performance, I think the GPP is just as good. Plus I find the carrying case to be a little tight, which makes it difficult to remove the PP sometimes.

Overall, it isn't a bad product, just not the "be all to end all," in my opinion.

I personally don't walk with pinpointer in hand, I turn it on when I locate target, by time I squat down to find target half that time is gone so we are talking 1-2 secs.....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should work just fine for me .... overall I just wanted to make sure the performance is on par with the PP .... the other small issues are not a big deal for the prince I am basically getting it for in the Garrett AT Pro KellyCo package deal.

If it didn't come in the package I think overall I would go with the PP but as long as it "performs" just as good as the PP then it will be good to go for me really.

I am new to this again about 15+ years removed from detecting ... So I am just making sure I learn as much as I can before I take the plunge again and place my order.

Thanks so much :)

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should work just fine for me .... overall I just wanted to make sure the performance is on par with the PP .... the other small issues are not a big deal for the prince I am basically getting it for in the Garrett AT Pro KellyCo package deal.

If it didn't come in the package I think overall I would go with the PP but as long as it "performs" just as good as the PP then it will be good to go for me really.

I am new to this again about 15+ years removed from detecting ... So I am just making sure I learn as much as I can before I take the plunge again and place my order.

Thanks so much :)

Yeah, you'll be fine with it. It's a competitive product. I just have to remember to turn it on when I am first kneeling down to check the hole.

nmarz77

Feb 26, 2014
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Gold Bug Pro, Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a Vulcan about 2 weeks ago and loved it.......until I started having problems. On my first time out with it I used it for all of 5 minutes before it shut off and would not turn back on. I went back to the car for a screw driver and removed battery and then put it back in.....worked fine.....for another 10 minutes and then did the same thing. This time I removed the battery cover and put pressure on the battery and it turned on so it has a battery connection issue....no big deal I just stuck a piece of folded up paper towel in there to keep pressure on it. Worked great and has awesome depth and pinpointing abilities.....but then I started having issues with it where it would start going off for no reason and would have to turn it off and back on again to reset it. This still didn't bother me all that much as it worked great otherwise.....until I went to replace the battery again. When I went to remove the battery (which is a very very tight fit) the entire insides came out!!! I pushed it back in but now the LED light by the button fell down inside. I called Kellyco this evening and the rep said his bosses went home already so they would have to get back to me on Monday. So basically functionality wise this pinpointer rocks but quality and build wise it's not that great underneath it's rugged looking and feeling body. I'm just hoping I got a lemon and they will replace it. I will keep you updated....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your talking about a single unit, had no issues with mine yet.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to use a micro screwdriver to change the battery?! Holy hell, that's an immediate NO-GO for any field item.
With my eye sight that is a no go at home..I would lose the screws.. So no thank you on that pin pointer ………. I have my garrett Pro pointer and have had it since it came out and have never have had a problem with it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread