luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've made a good move in my opinion. Start by detecting with the settings at the presets. You'll find, depending on the soil, that you'll be able to raise the sensitivity up considerably as you get used to the machine. Set the Threshold as a just audible hum. When you cross over targets that are discriminated out, the threshold will null out. I prefer hunting in the coin and jewelry mode most, but try the relic mode to see how you like that as well. Be aware that when pinpointing or hanging over a target too long that the auto ground may tune to the target and no longer beep. Locking the ground balance or keeping the coil moving will help. You don't say what coil came with it, but the coil selection available for the MXT makes it a very versatile machine. I use the 6X10 elliptical most of the time as it gives good coverage, decent depth, and good separation. The 5.3 is useful in trashy areas and the 4X6 "Shooter" is near surgical in heavy trash, but doesn't cover much area. Using headphones, I got to where I could tell the difference in sound on aluminum cans versus coins most of the time. Get out and have fun.
luvsdux

OP
OP
T

Toxophilite

Jan 21, 2014
Hot Springs, AR
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've made a good move in my opinion. Start by detecting with the settings at the presets. You'll find, depending on the soil, that you'll be able to raise the sensitivity up considerably as you get used to the machine. Set the Threshold as a just audible hum. When you cross over targets that are discriminated out, the threshold will null out. I prefer hunting in the coin and jewelry mode most, but try the relic mode to see how you like that as well. Be aware that when pinpointing or hanging over a target too long that the auto ground may tune to the target and no longer beep. Locking the ground balance or keeping the coil moving will help. You don't say what coil came with it, but the coil selection available for the MXT makes it a very versatile machine. I use the 6X10 elliptical most of the time as it gives good coverage, decent depth, and good separation. The 5.3 is useful in trashy areas and the 4X6 "Shooter" is near surgical in heavy trash, but doesn't cover much area. Using headphones, I got to where I could tell the difference in sound on aluminum cans versus coins most of the time. Get out and have fun.
luvsdux

Right now I just have the 950 eclipse coil with it. I will probly play with it for awhile before I upgrade the coil. I got out for just a bit today and my first hit was money yaaa! I'm thinking that's a good sign. It was just a zink penny but it was money lol

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though the mxt "looks" simple, it has more than meets the eye... Buy yourself the MXT edge book, you will discover the detector in depth and understand it much better...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread