New guy with the same old question....

donb62

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small amount of experience with a cheap detector and I want to get a better one. I have been reading this forum for a while trying to pick a new unit. I have decided the Garrett AT pro looks like the one to go with, but before I do I thought I would ask here if there is a better way to go in this price range...
Most of where I'll be using it is in the woods and beaches of northern Minnesota..Thanks, Don...

Upvote 0

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no experience with either detector i'm going to mention, but you can try the Teknetics T2 or the fisher F70 both are great machines from what I hear. But other than that I think the At pro is probably your best bet. good luck (Ps) Contact bart at big boys hobbies, and he'll get you a great deal!

OP
OP
D

donb62

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner, can you add a little more to that..

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F70 has a learning curve for sure but it has been a great upgrade for me. I did a ton of research and I am happy with my decision. Great depth, great ability to adjust settings for areas I detect, and light weight (my biggest need, back issues) so I can hunt for more than a couple hours.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the water and shoreline available to you, you will want to go with a unit that can be submersed. So, for land and water hunting, the At Pro is the best choice.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F2 is a BEGINNING detector, hardly an upgrade from anything. But still a great machine.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
F2 is a BEGINNING detector, hardly an upgrade from anything. But still a great machine.

detectingpro I see your point. I assumed OP has a real no-name crapper. F2 is rather cheap but certainly would be a nice upgrade, especially with a big dd on it. If all I had was F2 with the big coil, I would be satisfied even for some light wading in the lakes. But since the OP needs a waterproof machine I agree with Susan atpro or maybe atgold. Or 3030.

OP
OP
D

donb62

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought most all coils were waterproof. I wont be going under water, just beaches. The reason I choose the Garrett is that's the price range I'm in, about 5-600.00.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought most all coils were waterproof. I wont be going under water, just beaches. The reason I choose the Garrett is that's the price range I'm in, about 5-600.00.

Most coils are waterproof, but the electronic housings are not. Believe me, that water will beckon to you and you'll want to do some wading. All it takes is one quick drop in the water and your detector is toast. Even if you stay on the beach, you could set your detector down and a wave could hit it. I know because I did exactly that with my first land detector. It only took me a month of hunting with it to decide I needed a water machine.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep good stuff is in the water
fisher f5 is a good land machine under budget also...

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you're doing beaches you really need to look at the Whites M6. It is in that price range and in may opinion is one of the very few that can actually work wet salty sand without constantly sending false signals. Now ATP Pro is an excellent machine but the Whites M6 is much more simple and requires hardly any learning curve. It has two knobs and a toggle for your soil setting as well as a trigger for pinpointing. The M6 also comes with an Whites 950 coil which in my opinion is GREAT. The ATP Pro has too many buttons as well, but as I said, it is a great machine by my favorite in that range that can work beaches is the M6. You also may want to consider Tesoro .....they are made one by one here in the USA as well and are very reasonable beach models as well. If you wanted to squeeze out another $100.00 you could get an X Terra 705 .....

Check YouTube, read some reviews (from users - not advertisers), think about what your goals are, but mot importantly - HAVE FUN !!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the water and shoreline available to you, you will want to go with a unit that can be submersed. So, for land and water hunting, the At Pro is the best choice.
In his price range, I'd have to agree. If you get another model that isn't submersible, get a good tether so you don't accidentally drop the machine in the drink.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check on youtube and educate yourself with the company videos you are Interested in... this will save you time and confusion. :find:

JoeDiggs

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
West Central,Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, At pro , ,Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the budget to get the At-Pro I would pick it up. I started with an F2 (Great for the Money) but quickly(5 Months) wanted more ( Deeper, Water-proof, and able to ground balance), Plus has coin mode where it is basically a turn on and go machine, then once you are comfortable switch to pro mode and its like another detector. Hope this helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is a good learner detector and its water proofness will help if you want to try the water, and you will as that is where the many gold rings are. I have a ATP and don't trust is anymore and I don't need a screen to lie to me. Course you can always cover it with duct tape. Instead I suggest the Tesoro Tiger Shark as it is very reliable and comes with a lifetime warranty. It costs a little more but does more and is deeper in your soil. Check them out. :icon_thumleft:Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. But if you have to have a screen there are other fine detectors out there.

Also don't over look the 1280 as it can be had used for lots less and is built like a tank.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ATP and i really like it. I can't say about any other detector but I am sure there others out there in the same price range that are just as good. Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies he will help you

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd personally go with a used Whites MXT. I've heard GREAT things about them and its little brother the M6. They're built like tanks, are sold by a fantastic company, and can run with the high end machines... Which it is by the way. Another thing to like about it is that it has all you need, but remains very simplistic. Three knobs (including threshold!!!) and a toggle switch, not much you an mess up haha. It really is weird if you dig around on these forums, almost every person I've talked to said that they would grab their MXT over their AT pro or whatever other machine they use any day. I'm not bashing the AT Pro, I'm sure it's a fine machine, but the MXT seems to perform well more consistently.
I hope this helps,
C4C

OP
OP
D

donb62

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks a lot people,,,,here I thought I had a plan and all you guys messed it up for me with all these different ideas....Just kidding, but I will check out you-tube a little. I don't need to purchase till spring, which here in Minnesota is only 5 months away...Thanks again for all the help..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread