Educational usage of metal detector

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few weeks ago, I sent emails to all the major brands of metal detectors, searching for information on any programs for educators looking to use a metal detector in the classroom. I was hoping to get some special pricing or possibly, albeit unlikely, a donated refurbished unit to use. Nearly all of the companies, Garrett, Minelab etc. had no interest in any sort of help. That was what I had expected, but I thought I would give it a shot. And then XP got in touch with me the other day. They were willing to offer me 50% off ANYTHING I wanted! I couldn't believe it. Without hesitation I ordered the Deus with 11" coil, remote and the larger WS5 headphones for $998 shipped! Now, obviously you need to provide documentation of your employment and fax a few forms, but I was glad to do so.

My biggest surprise was that out of all the American (and one Australian) companies I reached out to, it was ONLY a French company that wanted to lend a hand to an American educator. I have the utmost respect them and their willingness help. God on you, Alain Loubet.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow cool deal. I wish they taught metal detecting when I was in school. Maybe I can get one and teach a few people how to use it for that price. Hmmmm.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you teach, and how will you work a metal detector into it? What Grade level? Sounds very interesting.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you teach, and how will you work a metal detector into it? What Grade level? Sounds very interesting.

10th grade American History. As an enthusiast of the hobby, I teach that metal detecting is a valuable source for recovering historical artifacts. We will spend a few days discussing the advancements in technology, ethics and etiquette, researching local historical sites and culminating with a field trip to a particular site in an attempt to locate some sort of relic(s) to be displayed at our local historical society.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool - I teach high school chemistry, biology, physics, and experimental design and I've been wondering if I could work detecting into a lesson. We did do a demonstration lesson last year when I was using electrolysis to de-rust a grapeshot ball I found in town.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool - I teach high school chemistry, biology, physics, and experimental design and I've been wondering if I could work detecting into a lesson. We did do a demonstration lesson last year when I was using electrolysis to de-rust a grapeshot ball I found in town.

It sounds like you could easily incorporate it into your lessons. Speaking of physics/chemistry, I'm sure you could just use Faraday's laws of induction and electrolysis and make use of a metal detector's magnetic field followed by the cleaning of metal objects you find! PM me if you would like the contact information for the Detector Electronics Corp. rep that organized my discount.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome your going above & beyond to educate your students, I have former students stopping me on the street (6 yrs later) and thanking me for teaching "outside the box" they'll always remember your class.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread