What is protocol when asking landowners permission to metal detect?

Mar 2, 2014
Hello fellow detectorists! I'm new to metal detecting, just purchased my ATpro month ago. I just joined the forum today. There are several sites that I have been scoping out while the weather is bad. My question is what is protocol when asking someone to detect on their land? Do you share half? Or do just don't mention it at all unless they ask? How do others on this forum handle this?
So excited to get and find some treasures!

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow detectorists! I'm new to metal detecting, just purchased my ATpro month ago. I just joined the forum today. There are several sites that I have been scoping out while the weather is bad. My question is what is protocol when asking someone to detect on their land? Do you share half? Or do just don't mention it at all unless they ask? How do others on this forum handle this?
So excited to get and find some treasures!

I would not volunteer any deals at first, but if it is a location you are really interested in, and you get the vibe the owner is leaning towards a "no", sweeten the pot by offering to split the finds. You may run into people that will give you permission without any stipulation, but then become more interested in what you are getting from their yard, and possibly even demand that everything be given to them. One thing to remember, it is their property, and if they change their mind, the best thing you can do is comply and move on. Here is a nice document on gaining permission.

Gaining Permission

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask to hunt their land and try not to mention the finding of money,but when it comes up I'll ask 50-50,or 80-20,or even ask if I can just hunt their land and give everything to them.You might try to get this in writing,make yourself a permission slip,and have them sign it.good luck.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask to hunt their land and try not to mention the finding of money,but when it comes up I'll ask 50-50,or 80-20,or even ask if I can just hunt their land and give everything to them.You might try to get this in writing,make yourself a permission slip,and have them sign it.good luck.

If a stranger approached me to sign a permission slip, I would likely shut them down.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bring them a big box of chocolate and tell them if I find anything of "major" value I'll split it. Then if they ask What do you consider major I work out a number that we both agree on…I actually had one property owner ask if I had a second detector cause he always wanted to try it, I always have a backup… So I gave him a 20 minute tutorial and away we went...

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not volunteer any deals at first, but if it is a location you are really interested in, and you get the vibe the owner is leaning towards a "no", sweeten the pot by offering to split the finds. You may run into people that will give you permission without any stipulation, but then become more interested in what you are getting from their yard, and possibly even demand that everything be given to them. One thing to remember, it is their property, and if they change their mind, the best thing you can do is comply and move on. Here is a nice document on gaining permission.

Gaining Permission
If they demand every thing you've found I believe you legally have to give it to them. And I definitely would not go around asking people to sign contracts.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will return a ring or something of sentimental value to the land owner, but other than that it's mine. The way I feel is I got all the money into thw equipment and I'm doing the work. If they want half or all of it I say thanks for ur time ans move on.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always offer to show what I find and tell them they can have first pick of anything I find.

Also..if I find something nice that I think they would like ..I take it home..clean it up and give it to them....word will soon travel around the neighbourhood and then your more likely to get permission at the next spot.

And I have an ace up my sleeve..... I,m a lobster fisherman..so I offer to give them a feed for free .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not volunteer any deals at first, but if it is a location you are really interested in, and you get the vibe the owner is leaning towards a "no", sweeten the pot by offering to split the finds. You may run into people that will give you permission without any stipulation, but then become more interested in what you are getting from their yard, and possibly even demand that everything be given to them. One thing to remember, it is their property, and if they change their mind, the best thing you can do is comply and move on. Here is a nice document on gaining permission. Gaining Permission
That's a pretty good link, however, I wouldn't use the word "dig" or "holes" in my opening monologue. Use the word 'recovery". If they're curious as to how you go about "making a recovery", offer to give them a demonstration (and pick a nice soft spot!). I also like to complement them on their house or property (even if it's a dump) and show some interest in the history of the area. Don't offer contracts or any other type of paperwork unless they ask for it, but, have it ready if they do ask. I keep all my forms separate....permission slip, division of finds, liability waiver, personal info sheet, etc. I only produce what is needed to gain permission to hunt. No use giving them ideas or concerns that wouldn't normally cross their minds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions