Some wisdom for a newbie

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
So I've yet to purchase a MD. I'm trying to do my research and make the right decision. I live in Florida and very close to the beach. So most of my hunting will be there. I'm focusing on a garrett at pro or the sea hunter mark 2. I do plan on diving with it also.... I'm open to other brands also. Any advice on making the right choice would be really appreciated. Also any tips or advice in general about metal detecting would be great. Thanks y'all

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your mainly hunting the beach get a detector made for the salt water and black sand. The ATPro works at some beaches but the single frequency will not get you much depth in the water. The beach hunters on here will let you know the best detector to buy.

OP
OP
ryan1715

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
Thanks rob. So there is a big deference in detectors that you would use in salty beach conditions compared to say open fields?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks rob. So there is a big deference in detectors that you would use in salty beach conditions compared to say open fields?

Hi Ryan, yes they are two different worlds. All the serious hunters have two different machines or more that they use to hunt land and sea. The CTX3030 is one of the closest detectors to do both but the salt water detectors are basically in a league of there own and shine at what they do. In my opinion I would get a great salt water detector first if I had beach access like you and then get a land detector later. The beach is where it's at!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to dive and have a machine with discrimination, the Excalibur is the way to go. If you don't need discrimination, there are quite a few that work great for underwater use.....CZ21, Infinium, Surf PI Dual Field, Sand Shark. None of the previously mentioned machines are very good in a park type setting. The AT Pro is not a great salt water detector. You can use it, but, you usually have to dial it down to make it stable and when you do, you lose depth. That being said, it works good in fresh water and park type hunting. If you are just going into the surf and nothing deeper than 10', the CTX is hard to beat. It works great in the water, wet sand, dry sand, and all manner of park/grass type venues. It's a bit pricey however. It would be nice if there was one machine that did everything excellent, but, that machine doesn't exist yet.

OP
OP
ryan1715

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
If you want to dive and have a machine with discrimination, the Excalibur is the way to go. If you don't need discrimination, there are quite a few that work great for underwater use.....CZ21, Infinium, Surf PI Dual Field, Sand Shark. None of the previously mentioned machines are very good in a park type setting. The AT Pro is not a great salt water detector. You can use it, but, you usually have to dial it down to make it stable and when you do, you lose depth. That being said, it works good in fresh water and park type hunting. If you are just going into the surf and nothing deeper than 10', the CTX is hard to beat. It works great in the water, wet sand, dry sand, and all manner of park/grass type venues. It's a bit pricey however. It would be nice if there was one machine that did everything excellent, but, that machine doesn't exist yet.

Awesome.... I really appreciate the help guys. Learning more on this forum in 3 days then in the past few weeks of just surfing the web... So based on what both of you have said I'm definitely ruling out the AT pro. And I looked up the other ones you just mentioned and unfortunately they are out of my price range. My cap is around 700. The sea hunter mark 2 seems to have good reviews and reputation. Any expirance with it? Also it comes with a 8 inch coil. Is there any benefit to have a larger coil besides covering more area. Does a upgraded coil help with the machines performance as far as discrimination or is it all in the machine it's self?

OP
OP
ryan1715

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
Also that being said is there another detector you would recommend in that price range?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro Sand Shark 8" and have done VERY well with it. Best of luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How's the discrimination and depth with the sand shark?

No discrimination, as it is a Pulse Induction unit. Depth is amazing, up to 16" in some cases!

OP
OP
ryan1715

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
Oh ok. I just posted a thread asking about the difference in how the machines actually work as far as frequencies PI vs VLF etc. so a PI md does not have any discrimination? It's going to pick up on all metals all the time?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok. I just posted a thread asking about the difference in how the machines actually work as far as frequencies PI vs VLF etc. so a PI md does not have any discrimination? It's going to pick up on all metals all the time?
Yes

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also that being said is there another detector you would recommend in that price range?
I've found some used Excaliburs in that price range. Just don't get the first series.....Sword model. Nothing wrong with it's performance, it's just that it isn't service by Minelab anymore and parts might become hard to find.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PI's have no discrimination regardless what the advertisements say. The Excel has disc and you can dive with it to 200 feet, but it is just as pricey as the CZ-21, another fine saltwater beach detector. If you can live with digging some trash and are young, you can get the Sand Shark like Terry suggested. The Tiger Shark and Fisher 1280 are in your price range but they don't always like salt water even though the Tiger Shark has a saltwater setting. Sometimes you can find these EXCELS and CZ-21's cheaper used.

Lynne G. Peck

Dec 14, 2013
Vero Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrtee AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ryan, where on the Florida coast are you? I am about nine miles from the coast here in Vero Beach. The good Ol Treasure Coast. LYNNE

OP
OP
ryan1715

ryan1715

Mar 8, 2014
Hey Ryan, where on the Florida coast are you? I am about nine miles from the coast here in Vero Beach. The good Ol Treasure Coast. LYNNE

Hey Lynne I'm just south of you not far... North fort pierce... Not far from fort pierce inlet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread