3 Dealers Push Me To AT Pro... but I dont Want One!!

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Dealers Push Me To AT Pro... but I don't Want One!!

So far I've had 3 dealers want to push me to an ATPro over a Omega 8k, F5/F70. I'm looking for a deep and TID accurate (as much as accurate can be) for parks/schools looking for coins/jewelry/silver.

I actually had an ATPro, so I'm looking to upgrade from it - without going to a $1500 machine. I'm starting to wonder if that's even possible. In fact, the only time I don't get any attempts to push me to the ATPro is when I'm thinking of spending $1500+ on a Minelab.

Now, I'm not complaining - in fact, I really appreciate them trying to help me get the best machine.

BUT... is the ATPro THAT much better?

Update - this is no knock to dealers. Every dealer I know is an awesome resource and always treats me right. I just think they see the success of the ATPro and recognize the value there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I'm not knocking anyone here. I believe I got an honest opinion out of the 3 dealers I asked for advice. These are 3 guys I go to all the time for detecting questions and always get helpful responses. Let me say this, all of the dealers I know are GOOD PEOPLE! My only goal was to find a machine in the sub $900 range that was better than an ATPro and I truly believe that the people I asked did not believe there was one.

What does that say? I guess it says the ATPro is pretty damn good detector for the price!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One dealer on this site was as bad as a used car salesman. Giving me a speech about the etrac EVERY time I asked about a machine in my price range.

I finally told him I was going to look at used Safaris as they can be had for what I had to spend, and even then I got the "Well a Safari is ok but the resale value is nothing compared to an etrac....."

It's not like this person was trying to sell you junk and claiming it was amazing. The E-Trac is a proven machine, and considered one of the best. I understand it was not in your range, and the dealer kept bringing it up, but it seems extreme to "warn others" from the dealer. Some people are just enthusiastic about great detectors.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was shopping for my t2 I called 4 dealers and 3 told me to but the atp after I told them I wanted the t2. Then recently I stop at a local whites dealer to order a trx and was told I can get you a garrett propointer if you want. This has come up quite a bit, makes me wonder if they can make a little more money on the garretts or something along those lines. After researching what I wanted it kind of ticked me off for them to try to change my mind.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It SUPER sucked at ergonomics. I literally hated detecting after about an hour in because the way the machine felt in my hand. Yea, yea, I could buy a sling but I tried that and it felt awkward.

But yes, the Etrac was by far the best in performance (ID'ing coins at depth).

Would I buy another Etrac? I might if I had the money. I had mine before Minelab sling/vest, so maybe that would eliminate the awkwardness... or maybe I'd just live with it... but right now, I don't have $1500 lying around.
A good used E-trac is very much within your price range.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a used higher end machine. That should, perhaps, solve your quandry.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently saw an gently used XP Deus with stock coil go for under $1000. I almost bought it just because it was such an amazing deal. A brand new CZ21 just sold for $950 on eBay. Just keep checking the forums, craigslist and eBay and you'll see some great deals.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, the ATP is a very good machine for the money. If you're talking brand new with warranty, you won't find a better machine in that price range. Just put it in pro zero mode and leave it there. Do not take it out of that mode. Do not use discrimination. Start every location with a dig it all mentality to get an idea of how things there ring in, then use only your brain to discriminate, never the machine.

The real trick to doing well with any machine is not the machine. It's the mentality. If you go into this hobby trying to dig less and find more, you're embarking on the wrong path......not to mention a contradictory one. Run'r wide open and use your mind!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly, the ATP is a very good machine for the money. If you're talking brand new with warranty, you won't find a better machine in that price range. Just put it in pro zero mode and leave it there. Do not take it out of that mode. Do not use discrimination. Start every location with a dig it all mentality to get an idea of how things there ring in, then use only your brain to discriminate, never the machine.

The real trick to doing well with any machine is not the machine. It's the mentality. If you go into this hobby trying to dig less and find more, you're embarking on the wrong path......not to mention a contradictory one. Run'r wide open and use your mind!

perfectly stated.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used an at-pro and in my opinion is a mediocre detector at most. You want something better in your price range, get a whites mxt pro and I can assure you that you won't regret it ever...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought a new Explorer SE Pro for under a grand with a 3 year warranty! I use a detector Buddy and it seems weightless! I love the SE Pro's tones. Coming from the Excal it was a natural progression!
But if you need an affordable, waterproof detector, an AT Pro with a small 6x8" coil is awesome in Pro Zero! I found items, at least past my shovel by half again as much, and pulled the find from the side of the hole so
I know the AT Pro can go deep!
Best of luck with your choices!

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your not going to get a better machine than the ATP for $600. If you master the ATP it will find almost everything 6" and under, over 6" you will find larger objects such as metal cans and rusty steel. No matter what machine you buy once you get over 8" you won't find much and what you do will be by luck and ground conditions. If you spend $1500 you get what you pay for the Minelab and the Whites V3i machines are very comparable and will go much deeper than the ATP but consider if you want to spend and extra $1000 for a cpl of inches

Iron Range Digger

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2014
Northeastern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000, BH Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Researched a LOT on the internet then called around and asked questions when I bought my latest machine. I live in HEAVILY infested Iron ground ( Minnesotas Iron Range) and for the $$ and features I went with the Gamma 6000 with the 11" DD. Has worked out GREAT for me up here. For a little more I could have gotten the AT Pro, But glad I went this way. Super Machine. HH All !!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Researched a LOT on the internet then called around and asked questions when I bought my latest machine. I live in HEAVILY infested Iron ground ( Minnesotas Iron Range) and for the $$ and features I went with the Gamma 6000 with the 11" DD. Has worked out GREAT for me up here. For a little more I could have gotten the AT Pro, But glad I went this way. Super Machine. HH All !!

The gamma 6000 detector is an amazing machine... I have seen great thing and I have used the BH platinum that is more or less the same unit but without the adjustable ground balance. Anyway great detector for sure. I disliked the ATP but many users out there love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread