shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the areas I hunt are located in the inner city. Putting on headphones that effectively isolate me from my surroundings makes me nervous as people can walk up on me without my knowing they are there. I have this year switched to using ear buds and actually only insert one. I can hear detector well enough to "feel it" but I also have an ear open to the world so I can also hear what is going on around me. Thought I would pass this on for others who might want to try.

Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can usually do this with head phones too. I've have lifted one on one side just to hear my pin pointer. Could go as far as moding a pair by removing that ear piece and replacing it with a foam pad. I believe there are also commercially available single sided head phones. Make sense in some situation to need to or want to hear your surroundings even if not in an urban environment.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad idea to have a hunting partner either.

Good Luck!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arrange your hunting patterns so you always have your shadow in front of you and watch for another shadow to appear, cast by someone approaching. And always have a wicked looking digging tool or knife in hand and make sure you hold it like a weapon when your not digging. And make sure its in plain sight. I always clean mine off nice and shiny after every dig...How much does all this help, I don't know, but it has to be better than not doing it, earphones, buds, or not.

OP
OP
shufflr

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad idea to have a hunting partner either.

Good Luck!

Yes having a partner is best but a lot of my hunting is done on my lunch break. I only know one other person who I can detect with. I also carry a very exposed Lesche digger and did I mention I usually carry my Glock as I have a concealed carry permit.

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharp Shooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use headphones but put one off to the side, I'm not in urban areas but rather places with bears and coyotes. I always let the wife know what time I'll be home and try to take a buddy when going near old mines. Few years ago some kids fell down an old mining shaft in the area. Be safe

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In uncertain situations, I use Grey Ghost Rattlers. Made with just one earpiece so it is comfortable on your head and excellent sound quality.

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3 position switch on my sun ray pro headphones. When I go down to cut a plug I switch it down and it cuts all sound to the headphones. I think it's to allow use with different machines but in this case it cuts the sound from the e-trac and allows me to hear whats going on around me and the pin pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread