Hired to search for a cache need detector advise

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hired to search for several possible hidden cashes in a backyard. They consist of possibly expensive watches, coins, jewlery, and possibly guns or firearms. The firm who has hired me has no idea if these items are actually there. If there is anything there I would imagine it is a quick hide probably in plastic containers and hopefully not very deep. I currently have a new ace 250 and Tesoro silver u max. The Ace will air test good at two feet on a large plastic folgers containes half full of clad coins, the Tesoro only at about 18". I am thinking of getting either a Fisher F70, Tesoro Tejon, or Whites MX5, for this projects. Any thoughts and advise would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go for the Tejon with a large coil as my first choice, but the others with large coils should do the trick as well, assuming your description of the target bulk and depth is fairly accurate.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, depth and size of target are going to be key in choosing the right equipment. If the target is at least coffee can size and deeper than 2', you'll probably need a two box detector like the White's TM808. Something that size and shallower, just about any decent detector with a big coil should be able to find it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the yard is at all junky (nails, foil, tabs, coins, etc.... as you would expect of any house, of any age), I would go with the TM 808, as Mark says. Because then you can effortlessly pass up all targets smaller than a soda can. No spending all day 2nd guess large vs small.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Check with the guys at metaldetectingstuff.com, I remember not too long ago, they were in the same boat as far as finding a cache for a property owner. I can't remember what equipment they were using, but they had good luck. The thread is on here somewhere, but as computer illiterate as I am, I'm having trouble finding it.

Best of luck,
Bill

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the targets are 2 feet deep or less , the F70 should find it. If it's more than 2 feet, you will either need a GTI2500 with depth multiplier or a two box or high end PI like the Garrett ATX or GPX 4800.

We found 3 buried containers, one was outside the range of everything but the GTI2500. At 2 foot depths, the containers (glass and plastic) registered as a penny or dime on the AT Pro and CTX3030.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For you guys musing on how standard machines can find cache size objects at appreciable depths , sure . That's not the issue as to whether it can find size objects at same depths as 2-box units can . Because yes , they can .

HOWEVER: The problem is that they likewise do JUST FINE on coin sized objects too. :(

So by using a two-box , you only find /hear soda can sized objects and larger . Hence being the perfect discriminator for if your stated goal is large objects .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, but if the search area is small and you already have a good detector with a big coil, you might want to just tough it out and dig a few extra holes instead of shelling out more dough for a new detector you might not use again.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger Blue

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought me a new Tesoro today $510. Looking forward to getting started with it. My first job is to locate a cache for a client. Let's see how it goes....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread