Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug my grandpa's gta 500 out of my old garage and tried fixing it up. It needs the battery holders and covers but other than that it works great. I contacted Garrett about the parts but no response yet. I guess my "McGuyvering" will do for now. Wish me luck :)

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! If it doesn't work, out we can give you all kinds of advice on it's replacement! :laughing7:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup have a gtax 550 and Garett is good about helpin.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-net! I must be gettin' old...I remember thinking that the GTA 500 was one of them new-fangled detectors with auto ground balance and this mysterious thing called "notch discrimination". I think of a Grampa's detector as having one knob and weighing about 10 pounds...The GTA 500 is a great detector and you will find Garrett is a great Company to deal with...I still use a GTP 1350 which is a descendant of the GTA 500...Happy hunting!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love your avatar, I used the handle hudey for many years till I found reference to it I didnt like. Nice job well done.

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My GTA500 has found thousands of coins, and uncountable more whatsits. It is a good reliable machine, and I found the depth capabilities to be to about 6 inches with the stock coil.

The battery holders can be found on eBay for much less money than any place that attaches the description "for metal detector" to it. Just look for AA battery holders.

FYI, Garrett performed an Engineering Change Order on mine some time back. You may want to provide the serial number to them to see if yours qualifies.

OP
OP
WhoDey

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet! If it doesn't work, out we can give you all kinds of advice on it's replacement! :laughing7:
Well I put a rubber band on each set of batteries to keep them from jiggling and reseting the machine, stuffed foil in to make a connection, put pennies on top of the foil (for now), and used velcro to hold everything nice and tight. So far so good haha.

OP
OP
WhoDey

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My GTA500 has found thousands of coins, and uncountable more whatsits. It is a good reliable machine, and I found the depth capabilities to be to about 6 inches with the stock coil.

The battery holders can be found on eBay for much less money than any place that attaches the description "for metal detector" to it. Just look for AA battery holders.

FYI, Garrett performed an Engineering Change Order on mine some time back. You may want to provide the serial number to them to see if yours qualifies.

What exactly is the Engineering Change Order?

OP
OP
WhoDey

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: Garrett emailed me back and asked for my mailing address. They're sending me the replacement parts for free. I've heard Garrett takes care of their customers.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Garrett emailed me back and asked for my mailing address. They're sending me the replacement parts for free. I've heard Garrett takes care of their customers.
well I guess I gotta talk to um cause my holders are about to go

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread