Greenie
Feb 14, 2014
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever been hunting and had an aggrevating person ruin it for you? I hunt by myself, it brings me peace and tranquility... but yesterday, i went to the local park with my kids and a friend of theirs, this boy (18) stayed in my way the entire time, I had to keep asking him to move, and when I got a good signal, he would get the digger and start digging, getting in the way....Getting my nerves up so bad I finally just went home..I didn't wanna start nothing with him, being that he is a family friend...and I've never been that good at quiet conversation, being bi-polar and ADHD, so I just went home and took my medication...vowing to never go hunting anywhere near him again....
sorry, just had to vent somewhere.....

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly how you feel. I had permission to hunt the location of my town's first high school that was relocated years ago. A young kid rolled up on his bike and just watched me for a while. He got the courage to ask me a few questions, which I'm always glad to answer, to help explain the hobby. This progressed to him following me to every hole, getting in the way, trying to see what I was digging. He kept bothering me to use my detector and pinpointer to find stuff. I explained that it was not a toy, and I wasn't comfortable letting some random child use my expensive equipment. He wouldn't let up, and I didn't want to get too mean to him, so I lied and pretended to pack up. He left, and I went back to work!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When that happens, I go into super slo-mo mode. I start moving like a glacier and they get so bored, they go do something else and leave me alone.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes & no I had a bunch of kids crowed me once, I didn't know them, but
they would all dive in every time I would get down to dig & reach in the hole
even While My Digger was still breaking soil :(

I finally just said something along the line.
Careful you could get cut, there could be glass.

& at that point they all sort of got up & went on to other play

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I should work on an alternate personality for situations like this. Get some crazy eyes going on, mumbling and cackling at nothing, or talk to an invisible friend. That might help keep people away.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I should work on an alternate personality for situations like this. Get some crazy eyes going on, mumbling and cackling at nothing, or talk to an invisible friend. That might help keep people away.

LOL That might get you a Visit from the White Wagon :laughing7:

images.jpg

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is a hard pill to swallow and it isn't always kids. I usually just pack up, go grab lunch or a drink and come back an hour later. Usually they are gone by then.

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us have had similar experiences. Anyone that dirt fishes long enough will have some.

My most memorable was detecting at a park while a soccer game was going on. I think the parents sent the little ones over to bug me in order to get them out of their hair. Anyway, I had the little fingers in the hole, questions, etc, etc until I looked around and found there were 15 kids crowded around me! (a personal record)

I too just packed it up and went somewhere else.

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in a park in Tucson one day. I have a permit to hunt in the parks and I carry with me at all times when I'm in the park. I Follow all the rules I'm very careful with what I'm doing. One day I was bent over looking for a coin and I hear gentlemen start talking to me. He asked me what I was doing and I told him and he began berating me stating the park was a business and I shouldn't be doing it there. Eventually asked him to identify himself as he did I. He Stated he worked for the parks department. I told him I had a permit which was valid and he still continued to tell me I shouldn't be metal detecting in the park. At one point he asked me what this permit was. And did I have a copy of it so of course I pulled it out of my pouch and show it to. He looked at the permit briefly and said he never saw such a foreman didn't believe it was legal. I finally got disturbed told them to go away. He then stated he was going call the police on me in which case I told him to please do so. The police of been around many times and stop and talk to me usually just asked me what I found never been bothered by them or had a problem with them. Eventually he went away and I went home.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I hate is being on a beach and minding my own business when the kids come over to see what I'm doing. I explain and show them as they follow me. About this time mom shows up and wants to know why I'm bothering her kids and I better leave. Sometimes I do just to avoid problems even though I can detect there. On rare ocassions whem my wife is with me, she sets the mom straight and thats the end of that. I would get arrested if I talked to her like my wife can get away with.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I hate is being on a beach and minding my own business when the kids come over to see what I'm doing. I explain and show them as they follow me. About this time mom shows up and wants to know why I'm bothering her kids and I better leave. Sometimes I do just to avoid problems even though I can detect there. On rare ocassions whem my wife is with me, she sets the mom straight and thats the end of that. I would get arrested if I talked to her like my wife can get away with.

Happened to me today. Had five kids from the age of 12 to probably 6 following me around a yard. I really like when you dig a mercury dime and they want it, lol! No chance kid. I have given away a few zincolns before though.

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had that problem but then I am 6'5" and tip the scales at 330 lbs. Also I'm bald and bearded with tattoos and scars.. I once even stopped to pick up three hitch hikers and they told me they would just wait on another ride if I didn't mind.. :dontknow:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had that problem but then I am 6'5" and tip the scales at 330 lbs. Also I'm bald and bearded with tattoos and scars.. I once even stopped to pick up three hitch hikers and they told me they would just wait on another ride if I didn't mind.. :dontknow:

BAMF!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
[QUOTE="A young kid rolled up on his bike and just watched me for a while. He got the courage to ask me a few questions, which I'm always glad to answer, to help explain the hobby. This progressed to him following me to every hole, getting in the way, trying to see what I was digging. He kept bothering me to use my detector and pinpointer[/QUOTE]

You let yourself get over friendly with the kid. If you gave him a short answer and ignored him, he never would have asked to use yoir equipmemt. He would have gotten the message. "Get lost kid!"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You let yourself get over friendly with the kid. If you gave him a short answer and ignored him, he never would have asked to use yoir equipmemt. He would have gotten the message. "Get lost kid!"

when Being followed & asked questions from a single person, & your strapped for time, Lift your headphone up & ask "Huh ?"
when they ask a question & answer their question short & sweet. Then plop headphone down
& start detecting. When they ask another question, Lift your headphone up & ask "Huh ?"
& answer their question short & sweet. Then plop headphone down
& start detecting. Rinse & repeat as Necessary. Usually it doesn't take long before they tire of Repeating everything, or at least realize they are in the way.

OP
OP
Billiot

Billiot

Greenie
Feb 14, 2014
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda do that anyway...lol

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same! It's hard not to laugh sometimes when they don't think you can hear them! Lol!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make my self unapproachable...Usally the I'm dressed, and ai have a natrul pissed off face anyway, so it works out nice

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not all that fond of kids pestering me, so I follow the same rule as I use on strange dogs, don't make eye contact and they will usually go away. I don't mind a question or two from adults but just go back to hunting if they linger too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread