Whats the best tip for the beginner?

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still awaiting my first detector to arrive. (Hopefully Today) and was reading every post on TN.

What is the best tip I read....

Bury some different coins and jewelry in your yard and detect them. I went out this morning and buried several different ones in anticipation for the arrival of my MD.

Wish I would have paid more attention to the author so I can give him the credit for this tip.

Ant others? All us newbies can use all the help we can get.

Upvote 0

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My tip, dig it all! Especially when starting out. You never know what's going to pop up. I was out Tuesday and decided to dig a pull tab at 3" and ended up finding a flying eagle penny! You just never know

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S-L-O-W down and overlap your swings, and GRID the area you are detecting in 20'x20' sections, north to south, then east to west.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still awaiting my first detector to arrive. (Hopefully Today) and was reading every post on TN.

What is the best tip I read....

Bury some different coins and jewelry in your yard and detect them. I went out this morning and buried several different ones in anticipation for the arrival of my MD.

Wish I would have paid more attention to the author so I can give him the credit for this tip.

Any others? All us newbies can use all the help we can get.

A test garden is a good way to learn, but you usually want a clear section of soil. If there are other objects close to where you buried the good targets, they might get masked. For best results, use your detector to find and remove ANY targets so that your area is clear before creating the garden. Of course, after you learn about your good targets, you can incorporate trash to see how it affects the signal.

I'm guessing you will be using a BH 2200, based on your profile. There are many YouTube videos on this detector, so If you haven't yet, it might be a good idea to watch some of the tutorials.

When first learning a detector, it is a good idea to dig nearly anything, so you can learn from the experience about how it sounded and what the VDI was like. Try to guess what your target is, even if it is junk.

Finally, research research research. The most skilled detectorist can't find the good stuff if it isn't there. Research your area for places that had foot traffic in the past. Try to find historical maps and correlate old locations with current maps. Don't be afraid to ask permission to hunt private property. Chances are public places have been hit hard, and unless you have a high-end detector, you might not find many rare finds in these areas. Private property is more likely to be hiding some amazing things.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I agree - just learn the machine. So may people give up because they go out twice and don't find anything and then throw the machine in the garage. Go out there have some fun and dig EVERYTHING>

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't swing from tree branches, crawl through dog houses, eat grass, yell/holler at the top of your lungs for minutes on end and no gymnastic routines when you get a nice find!
A "Yes!" and a fist pump will suffice!

Good luck!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't swing from tree branches, crawl through dog houses, eat grass, yell/holler at the top of your lungs for minutes on end and no gymnastic routines when you get a nice find!

Good luck!

Right, you don't want to encourage individuality and passion. Respond mildly like a grumpy old man.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Also state which detect you are getting so people that own the same one can give you tips on your particular detector. Have fun it's addicting though haha.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you play around in your yard, go to a tot lot with a sand or wood chip play area. There are usually a few coins to be found and you can easily dig your target and learn their sounds and ID's.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn your machine and or watch as many videos on it that you can find,also dig everything for the first couple of months.We all find junk,so don't be discourage:icon_scratch:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn your machine and or watch as many videos on it that you can find,also dig everything for the first couple of months.We all find junk,so don't be discourage:icon_scratch:

Pay attention to the details of the signal and see if it is a good repeatable signal before digging. Once you learn what the detector may be telling you, it gets easier to interpret less strong and constant signals

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Find and Join a detecting Club in your area. The folks there are a wealth of info and leads ok. Good Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones are helpful in hearing those faint signals that are deep.
Tot lots with wood chips is easier to dig and cover holes in so is dry sand/beach.
Most of all. HAVE FUN!!!!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There-

Best advice I got, was to read the thread on this forum called The Golden Olde by Norman Garnush.
Every time I read it I find new ideas. Good Luck. Rory

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always re check the area around the hole before covering over. Quite often there'll be more than one target.
luvsdux

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you start to feel overwhelmed from all the sounds and trying to dig all hits, discriminate everything except coins. Just go around and dig a few coins. This will build confidence in you and the machine.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck!
Never act the way someone tells you to act...do whats right for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread