May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an AT pro and want to go hunting in a river near my house. I live in Michigan so the ground is frozen all over the place before, but the rivers should be good because the water is always moving right?

Anyway I've never detected in water before and was looking for tips. It's bound to be 25-30 degree water because it's been extremely cold. I'll be wearing waders at least, but I have no idea what to do for my hands and don't have a scoop. I can't remember if this particular riverbed is sand or pea gravel either.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to hunt in the water, you will need a long handled scoop - there's no way of getting a target up out of the water without one. But I don't think its a wise idea to get into the water without a wetsuit until it is much warmer, waders can be especially dangerous if you slip or get water inside them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on the River & the speed of the Current, Be very careful
your detector may not be the only thing found Miles down the river the next day

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't wear hip waders. if you walk into a deep water hole, they will fill up with water and may drown you or anyone else wearing them.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Umm, I know your excited to try out your new machine but I would seriously wait for some warmer weather...

sent from a potato...

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should check out aquachiggers videos on youtube. He gives great advice on river hunting. His finds are amazing. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread