Size of coil

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty new also but I but can relay what my dealer told me. The larger coil will detect deeper and cover ground faster. Being new, you need to learn what the machine is telling you by digging all the targets you find. You will quickly learn what to expect in the hole. This speeds up the learning process. If you find yourself in a very trashy area, the smaller coil sees a smaller area and can help pick out good targets between the trash.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The rule of thumb of coil sizes, is that the bigger the coil, the deeper you go. BUT, there is a point of "diminishing returns", when it comes to coin-sized objects. At a certain size of increasingly larger coil sizes, you will only get larger objects deeper (jars, cans, hubcaps, etc...) not coin sized targets deeper. The usual point of diminishing returns with most detectors, is somewhere between 9 to 11". Hence you'll notice that's the usual stock size, since it fits the best compromise for most hobbyist purposes.

When you go to larger coil sizes, there comes a point where you only increase coverage, but not depth on coin-sized targets. And while "increased coverage" sounds like a good idea, bear in mind it comes with draw-backs: Fishier signals, more masking, difficult pinpointing, etc...

Smaller coils are good for things like very junky or iron ridden spots. Like ghost townsy type places, under wooden porches, under bleachers with lots of metal scaffolding, etc.... But they lack the depth of larger coils . So as you can see, there's pros and cons to each.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the following and then come back and read it again after you get 20 or so hours of time you will be very happy you did.
Truth About Search Coils

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
From your other threads about searching in your back yard I would suggest starting with the small one. It will be a little easier to pinpoint and less chance of multiple targets under the coil. If you have a lot of land or are searching a field or beach and you find yourself going a long time without a hit then switch to the large one. All those explanations on the differences of coils are good to know and will benefit you as for my answer for your questions there you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions