is it a cache? i think it is, but its so DEEP, i am STILL DIGGING a WEEK later!

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was using my :metaldetector:on sunday the 6th and think i have a:treasurechest:. its big, because i dug for over 45 mins and still havent struck. :icon_scratch: the signal is STRONG, even at such depths:icon_scratch: the signals cover a solid foot or so, not a single location like a coin would. someone who has found a cache before, tell me if these conditions sound like those that would indicate a cache. whoever can answer this question (the bold underlined stuff) and is right i'll give... uh, ill be your friend

okay... today is friday the11th, and i'll be back soon to tell you what i find this weekend soon:hello: wish me:4leafclover: :)

Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread smells strongly of BS! what is this guy digging with a tea spoon? Second post ever, and why would a cache that I found be similar to the one he thinks he has found. It would totally depend on the person doing the hiding of the cache. If it was the same person doing the burying then maybe. I think this post reminds me a lot of the big signal at the base of a tree thread. :censored:

OP
OP
M

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
late getting back.... but found it

sorry for making u wait. with a school project, i put this on backburner. not cache, old chain. has interesting square links. took DAYS to get enough rust off to even kno wat it was. we all know what an old pile of chain resembles coming out of ground. mine looked like hip replacement.:dontknow: now it looks loke this:
WP_20140415_003.jpg WP_20140415_004.jpg WP_20140415_002.jpg WP_20140415_001.jpg
does anyone know anything about my rusty old chain? know what kind of chain it is(as in intended pourpose/application/job)? tank tu!

and about taking so long to leave an update: like the guy from BP said,"im soooorrryyyyyyyy."

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's probably the chain they used to lower the treasure chest into the hole, did you check the hole after you pulled it out?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mitchelff, glad you got your target out. All of us have "been there /done that". When you first start detecting, you will not settle for leaving something there. Afterall "what if it's a treasure?". haha After awhile, you get to where you pass such large signals. Unless you were specifically cache hunting, with some reason to believe a cache existed somewhere ?

As to the ID of what you dug: To me it looks like the type thing that makes it to the nearest garbage can.

OP
OP
M

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in reply to Gold Maven

yes i checked. only leftover oxidization. the stuff that makes the surrounding soil orange.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of hints of a fire place trammel chain. They allowed adjustment of what was being hung over fire. Yours is missing a piece on the non hook end if its related.
But there were different styles and up to the builder.

IMG_0072.JPG

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While were on the subject of chain, does this look like a link from a chain (the piece under the monkey wrench) I dug it in a ghost town that was built around a sawmill industry in the early 1800's.

Attachments

• image-2173330007.jpg
    image-2173330007.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 70

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread