is it a cache? i think it is, but its so DEEP, i am STILL DIGGING a WEEK later!

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was using my :metaldetector:on sunday the 6th and think i have a:treasurechest:. its big, because i dug for over 45 mins and still havent struck. :icon_scratch: the signal is STRONG, even at such depths:icon_scratch: the signals cover a solid foot or so, not a single location like a coin would. someone who has found a cache before, tell me if these conditions sound like those that would indicate a cache. whoever can answer this question (the bold underlined stuff) and is right i'll give... uh, ill be your friend

okay... today is friday the11th, and i'll be back soon to tell you what i find this weekend soon:hello: wish me:4leafclover: :)

Upvote 0

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no detector that can detect an object "27 foot away". If you had a Volkswagon, you could perhaps detect it to 10 or 15 ft. away with a 2-box unit type detector. Also: no detector is going to tell you "gold" versus any other sort of metal either. Conductivity, perhaps, but composition? no.

Uhhh yes there is. Used them in EOD to find unexploded aircraft dropped bombs. These things detected deep enough where u need to build cribbing while retrieving.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Uhhh yes there is. Used them in EOD to find unexploded aircraft dropped bombs. These things detected deep enough where u need to build cribbing while retrieving.

One problem is I doubt the average joe is going to be buying one anytime soon.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if its a chest of gold gold is conductive would that change it? Dig a small hole to put a flash light down and peek around. Unno seems iffy though. If you dig a hole the ground above it will be even more unstable

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go out there though and find out I hope they marked it! Also op keep digging maybe its a chest full of gold

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I want one of those detectors that can hit a target at 27 feet,I'm sick of digging beer cans at a lousy depth of 2-10 inches deep :-)

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if the OP is still digging or not............:dontknow:

Or is this the other guys thread now?

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a probe to poke straight down from the signal and see if you clank on anything, if not I would abandon ship on that one. If you already have dug a foot or two plus the depth of the probe you will end up having a hole 5 or 6 feet deep and you will have to have a shoring box:sadsmiley:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its the lost cache of bigfoot! I heard it was really deep. SMH! :blackbeard:

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote hatch

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I found a cache once. It was about 6 inches down another cache was located about 12 feet away and again no more then 6 inches down. Some items from the cache were lying on the surface of the ground after being hit with a dozer. When I was done digging and it took a few days I had found over 3200 hundred religious medals and my friends found more then 600. In addition I found another 6-8 caches at 8-16 inches these were personnel items but I really not going to get into how, what or why... But I have all the answers but I don't want to get into now... Jim

was using my :metaldetector:on sunday the 6th and think i have a:treasurechest:. its big, because i dug for over 45 mins and still havent struck. :icon_scratch: the signal is STRONG, even at such depths:icon_scratch: the signals cover a solid foot or so, not a single location like a coin would. someone who has found a cache before, tell me if these conditions sound like those that would indicate a cache. whoever can answer this question (the bold underlined stuff) and is right i'll give... uh, ill be your friend

okay... today is friday the11th, and i'll be back soon to tell you what i find this weekend soon:hello: wish me:4leafclover: :)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were a chest of gold the detector wouldnt be picking up the gold,it would be picking up the metal on the chest:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I found a cache once. It was about 6 inches down another cache was located about 12 feet away and again no more then 6 inches down. Some items from the cache were lying on the surface of the ground after being hit with a dozer. When I was done digging and it took a few days I had found over 3200 hundred religious medals and my friends found more then 600. In addition I found another 6-8 caches at 8-16 inches these were personnel items but I really not going to get into how, what or why... But I have all the answers but I don't want to get into now... Jim

Hunter, your story is "telling". It dispels a popular myth that caches, must of necessity, always be "deep". And humorously, the bigger the gold cache supposedly, the deeper it's always supposed to be. Eh ? haha. But when you think of it: someone way-back-when going to hide something, what difference did it make how DEEP something was, to make it "hidden" ? As long as the surface was covered and indiscernable, then 10" verses 10 ft. makes absolutely no difference in how well something got hidden.

And if any of you has ever dig a hole even 5 or 10 ft. deep, you KNOW that's back-breaking work. Bottle diggers, and those who dug foxholes in military bootcamp will be the first to know, that .... if you (the person burying) ever intended to come back and retrieve the frickin' thing, then the LAST thing you'd dream up doing, is to make it some insane depth.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone noticed that this notion of treasures, of necessity, always having to be incredible depths (up to 30 ft.!) always start from 3rd world countries ? It's almost as if there's a cultural superstition in some cultures, where ........ a) there's a treasure in every cave, and b) it's 30 ft. deep, and c) if your detector can't get a signal there, it doesn't mean there's not a treasure there, it simply means it deeper!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toms right. My brother in law and my self after high school while looking for work dug out house holes for the South East Ohio coal mining co.
$75 dollars a hole. We had to dig the hole 4 feet square, by 7.5 feet deep.
Here's why. We would get 4, 2x4x8 foot studs. Cut in half.
These where nailed together to make a 4 foot square rim,1 for top, 1 for bottom.

Then, 4--1x12's by 8 foot,,would get nailed to each side. 1x12 are actually only 11.5 wide. So there would be a 1/2 inch gap between boards to let liquids through.
Then the box,would be put in hole,Old out house placed on wooden box,dirt around edge.
The reason I described the whole process, was because it took both of us, all day to do it.
Not hard ground either.
Oh yeah, we where both 6 foot tall,150 lbs, and young.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tweets bear- tell him to try dropping a light and a camera on a rope into the fox hole to see what's down there.

Mitchell's- so what did you dig up?

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I have the story with a few pictures in the Best Find Western Eastern Treasure for 1998 .. You can find it on line .. First day found over 700 medals .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread