Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out detecting at my local school grounds, and my neighbor ;who is jealous of me) LOL called the stinkin cops on me. I do not have direct permission from the school to be detecting. But since I pay taxes to them, it's my ground as well. So I'm out detecting and here comes a county officer zooming up. I'm like *crap! lemme at least get this quarter out of the hole* so he gets out and starts walking over to me. My heart is pounding at this point. He approaches me and asks, "finding anything good?" "Yeah got a couple silver dimes and some old pennies" and he starts rambling on about how he himself detects with a whites dfx! He gave me some great advise on locations to hunt, and he told me all public land is available to detect unless it's posted otherwise! We wished each other luck and he went on his way. The funny thing was, when I got home, my neighbor asked me, "So did you get a fine" so I obviously know he called them.

GL HH

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Upvote 0

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have told him no,but he is going to pay you a visit for disturbing the peace.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have told him no,but he is going to pay you a visit for disturbing the peace.

I was using my headphones... And he didn't tell me I was doing anything wrong.

Trevset

Mar 19, 2014
Haha I definately would have thrown that back into the neighbors face. I just don't understand why some people have such a problem with someone walking around scanning the ground for metal. I guess some people just have absolutely nothing better to do than to worry about what everyone else is doing. Maybe they just need a hobby. Perhaps metal detecting! Lol

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I meant to say you should have told your neighbor the police might be visiting your neighbor for disturbing your peace.
Maybe that would get him thinking there would be a knock at his door.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a neighbor like that, guess where my dog's new latrine would be? :laughing7:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experiences , people are more afraid of a d 300 nikon camera with a 24-135 mm lens and or a metal detector with head phones in a public location, than a man packing a pistol in public. I have been harrassed too. I swear joe q public has some strange phobias about things he/ she doesn't comprehend or understand. If you look out of the norm for them you will be under their discriminative scrutiny. Also, joe q public doesn't understand public laws very well.

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is messed up of your neighbor I can't believe some people!

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is messed up of your neighbor I can't believe some people!

They do weirder things than that.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me of the damn radio control airplanes users that call the police on me and run me off cause they wanted the whole 10acres to them selfs. I met up with the same police officers later that week and told me I could go back anytime as those RC people arnt there

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the ones that walk right up to you and say "you can't do that here." You look them in the eye pull the head phones off and ask "do what?" They are usually left grappling for words, because they truly have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY DOING!!! They just know they don't like it!
If they say "dig holes". Look them in the eye and ask "Do YOU see any holes?" They will look around a little, so you pull the head phones on and shake your head as you walk away detecting.
If they say metal detect, turn the tables on them and say you are checking for radiation leaks, the readings have been a little high lately.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea when officers were talking to me one of them stated he couldnt see my holes

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good to hear I'm a retired police officer myself nice to hear good stuff police instead of bad

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
What city did this happen in? Just curious?

Also, your neighbor is a useless tool for wasting tax dollars on complaints like that...

DH24

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I am so thankful for living in the country! The horses never complain about me hunting the property.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stinkin cops, stinkin neighbors. dogs latrine? how about my latrine? i would unleash a reign of harassment and terror on that busybody. they would be so worried about where or when that they would forget all about me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread