Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have had mixed success when requesting permission to detect property owned by commercial organizations. I either get the run around or some lame liability excuse.

I recently discovered a large building dating to the early 1910s in an old part of town. The building is currently for lease with no tenants. Lots of promising grassy areas! Some research revealed the owners are a XXXX Properties, LLC. I did find that they have an office very close to where I work. The only form of contact that I have found is a phone number and a realtor's information.

My success rate with cold calls is very low so I'm not even considering that. I'll probably stop by the owners address and hopefully can ask in person. The property does need a bit of work as it has not been occupied for some time, so not like its a well manicured lawn or anything. Plus nobody occupying the building would make for my kind of hunt (I don't like an audience!).

EDIT!

Getting permission at this place was much easier than asking for private property!

As luck would have it the company that owns the property has an office next door to mine. I just went over at lunch and ran into the company owner himself. We talked for a short bit, I asked him about detecting, he said have at it! I could tell he was reluctant at first, but I also mentioned that I pick up garbage as I find it, he eyes lit up and he said "we have a deal then". We shook hands, got his business card with contact info, and I went on my merry way.

A phone call or email probably would have resulted in an instant "No". Showing up and asking in person, well dressed and knowing the history of the property was the way to go.

This feels like a great success considering the last few owners and said no to my requests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I see you live in Western Montana too. Back in the day I would just hit it. Now I would find someone to ask. Go to xxx office and ask, maybe not what others will say but I don't take people getting upset at me very well.

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no way I would consider detecting private property without permission. During my lunch break I'm going to swing by the listed address and just ask. I know nothing of the company that owns this property, but I suspect that they are just a holding company.

If I can get permission I'm going to request a business card or contact info from the guy who grants it.

I've just never asked about a property like this before. Usually its just dealing directly with the property owner on residential land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread