Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1014173
View attachment 1014172 :unhappysmiley: This is the best of the last two days or so hunts. this morning's hunt was getting hotter and hotter, i was finding clad and various junk. I headed up into the poison oak area, totally forbidden by the highly allergic wife and quickly dug a couple pieces of aluminum trash. We were both hot and rather nasty from the sweat and the dirt when i hit a hard signal, it sounded fairly shallow and as i squatted and neared my garrett pin pointer, it screamed loud. I scraped the dirt away and saw the clasp end of either a bracelet or necklace, a heavy one at that! I scanned it again with the AT PRO, it was 66/68 and I am thinking junk from the looks of it as i begin pulling it out, but i have been wrong before. I yell over to my wife that I have some jewelry of some sort and she hurries over to see what it is. I am nearly blind in my left eye and the right was full of sweat as I struggled to see if it had any writings, I can see something is there but that is all. The little woman grabs it from me and stares hard at the writing and then excitedly says, "14 K, 14 K! You've finally done it!" Well, the ole heart is pounding, the mind is racking up the dollar signs, after all, this is a big man's necklace so we head back to the house. The little woman has yet to relinquish the necklace back to me so I can inspect it closer so I mention this and she smirkly hands it back to me. With my Loup, i see that it does indeed have 14 K stamped on it but it just doesn't look all that great to me, so the acid test for 14 K and it is a complete failure! The look on my wife's face said it all but up to that point, she was a super excited woman and is getting more and more into metal detecting. So close and yet so far away! there are a lot of scammers out there and we need to be sure of what we find so that we are protected as well. it has to be disappointing to take something to sell only to find out it is fake. on the bright side, my first Susan Anthony Dollar with the ten quarters. I am still a very blessed man, the gold will come!

Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will!

I know that feeling very well...it's a good thing the perpetrator isn't within arms length when that happens!
As another T Net'er said "That should be illegal!" Although I believe it is!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahh :) The real stuff will come. I've pulled about a dozen "Bling" necklaces all with 14k stamps only to find out its plated silver. Its still neat junk but it never pays for the batteries. Nice to have the thrill though. Keep swinging.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to hit it with the 10K acid. Maybe it's just a bit underweight. A 10K necklace would still have some value.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks, i will try that as well to see if it is plated silver, one can only hope.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, no go, the 10 k acid gobbled it up, the silver acid did the same. it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. such is life and nothing new to those who do this very much. it is sad but a fact of life... there are those who deceive, lie and steal. for us, it is the excited high of finding what appears to be one thing only to be dashed down with the reality low. on the other hand, there is the occasional pleasant surprise of thinking something is junk only to find out it is the real thing! for some of us, it just drives us to hunt harder. life is full of disappointments, so that makes the good finds even better. My wife was the most disappointed, she was caught up in the moment more than me, but I have been there.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why when I find something I think may be the real deal, I just drop it in the goodie bag and keep hunting, will check it out later at home.
I must say there is more excitement thinking it is real before learning it's not, than thinking it's junk and it turns out to be real later.

May your next find be the real deal! GL. HH!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
66/68 seems a bit high for 14k gold. I tested my ATP over a real 14k gold necklace once and it was in the foil range, low 40s.

Still a cool find!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, the reading was high to me, that's what i told my wife immediately but she kept saying, 14k, 14 k. at this point in my life in metal detecting, I have seen very little in the gold aspect of this, knowing that size and alloy make up can sound or hit differently. so i really can't say it can't be gold of some sort until it is proved one way or another. i have also seen where people have pulled out the good stuff in spite of a not so great hit. so i dig to find out for myself. giant learning curves for a lot of us, these great people on this site help in this curve, most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread