Please tell me im not the only idiot who destroys my finds

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
What's the first thing I do when I find a decent old coin? I destroy it... Uuuhhggggg. I get all excited and think that if I just remove enough crud to see it more clearly... Next thing you know I lose the date n details. Luckily it hasn't been coins worth anything, but they are my special find. Today I found a 1910 penny n with ketchup made it a turquoise mess. So I thought if I use soap n water n just scrub alittle.. Nope.. If I just do a quick electrolysis dip.. Then yeah I can totally destroy it:(. I did this with a silver 1800's coin before to:/ and some others .
So I stop doing this to my coins , what is the proper protocol , so that you can make the details clear enough to try to reAd it .

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to find the pics of the iron "stuff" I mention above. One man's trash is another man's treasure!
collar.jpg nails.jpg TTC

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel unique!! I'm sure that I speak for many when I say that I, or we, have at some time or another destroyed or degraded a coin or other relic due to improper or rushed cleaning. Not from ignorance..as we do know better..but from excitement and anxiousness! I took a WIRE BRUSH to my very first Indian Head cent..which was in excellent shape but a little corroded..and I like, totally f'ed it up with the wire brush. :(... My md'ing buddy threatened to stab me in the face with the wire brush if I ever do it again..which I won't. And he has taken responsibility of cleaning my older/valuable finds..hee hee...So get out there and find more good stuff..happy hunting..ddf

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Well I got back there, today , n found an old carbide light and shattered the glass cause I got all anxious, because people were watching me .. Lol. This may not be the hobby for me :/

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I got back there, today , n found an old carbide light and shattered the glass cause I got all anxious, because people were watching me .. Lol. This may not be the hobby for me :/
I did a similar boo boo. I got a target in AZ "dirt" which is more like CEMENT. I found the barrel of a cap gun. The barrel appeared to have a fresh "break". Yes.... the rest of the gun soon came out of the dirt. I too was excited and did not take my time and ruined the find. Keep at it. It gets better! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread