how far south do I need to go to dig in january

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it hasn't even been a week of below freezing weather yet and I'm ready to find greener pastures. I hate not being able to get out swinging that coil around. So I want to look for someplace I may be able to take a weekend drive to and be able to do some hunting. With the holidays and everything I know it won't be until january befor I get a chance to go but the wife already gave her blessing to try it out.
I was wondering how far south I will need to go to find 35+ degree weather in january. I'm looking at Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. mainly because I can get to these states in less than 12 hours. So anyplace further than that would have me spending more than 24 hours round trip just driving, and not leaving much left of a weekend for detecting.
So I was hoping some of the members from the areas I mentioned could help me out by letting me know if it is possible to get out detecting these areas in january. Also if there are any places I might try to go metal detecting when I'm there would be great. I don't mind if it a hunted out old site just as long as swinging a coil is allowed there. Thanks for any help my fellow member can give.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in NC. The ground odes not freeze around here. GL&HH.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll wager that there's soft ground in southern Illinois or southern Indiana in January. Lower elevations for sure.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to go farther south than MO, possibly as far south as memphis. I am from the St Louis Mo area and although the ground usually isn't froze very long there are times in Jan you can detect but it gets spotty from Dec to March

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY fliermartin if you take off for a weekend hunt in Jan and would like some company swing over into Ohio and pick me up I would g along and with two the expense would be better. I do this in the summer time just take off and detect for the whole weekend I then detect land and water.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll wager that there's soft ground in southern Illinois or southern Indiana in January. Lower elevations for sure.

Not this past January! That was the coldest winter that I have ever experienced. The ground was mostly frozen from December until late February. The first hunt that I have on record for this year in Indiana was March 10th, when the ground had turned into a swamp.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK fliermartin we can also take a few days in Dec I have the 15 of Dec to Jan 4 before I have to be back at work. Just may get away a few days during this time also. If I can find someone to take me out in KY to a battle field would be cool to dig some civil war items.

OP
OP
F

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I'll have any time until after the holidays. Thats why I'm checking on January. between work and family going to be pretty tied up till then.

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground freezes in Arkansas but the frost lline is not as deep as the northern states. @ 16° it's froze here right now...

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The deep woods layer of rotting leaves keeps the ground soft below 2" 3" inches here in New York so I can hunt most of the winter season.
Gary

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY fliermartin did you get out any this month. there is still time to go. As we have snow and cold here in Ohio been below freezing for the last two weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread