What types of sites do YOU maximize your silver take at?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking ahead to 2015 goals, I find myself wondering when I look at posts on here what type of site certain finds are from when there's not much of a back story included. Everybody, as a new detectorist reads the same "where to go" articles that list 101 places to find old coins, relics, and jewelry and, as a result, everybody and their mother goes there. Churches, for example, are on every one of those lists, and I can honestly say I've never found an old coin in a church yard. They were probably there 30 years ago when the people who wrote those articles were detecting, but they've been hit hard.

My question is what TYPES of sites are your "go-to" for silver (or other) old coins nowadays? I've found most of mine at a school from the 20's, although nothing that's come from there has been larger than a dime because it's been cherry picked for so many years now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In areas with a lot of active detectorists hunting the parks and schools to death, try asking people to search their pre-1960's private property. Go to the oldest part of town and start knocking on doors. Try researching other old areas in your area that may have been forgotten. Get an old map and compare it with a new one for old schools, parks, fairgrounds, dump sites, etc. Keep an eye out for any new construction sites in the old part of town.

Yeah this is what I do a lot of now - only panned out a few times with silver, but I agree I think that's the ticket there....that, and houses no longer standing like somebody else said above.

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I put my xlt in coin mode and turn up the sensitivity and listen for the right sound.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
How about old farms? I have been eyeing a few around me? Has anyone every tried places like that?

Just wondering if thats worth my time.
My last home was a 1790 farm that I lived in for 30 years. I found tons of farm junk over the years, some modern coins and NO Silver. Old time farmers did alot of bartering and had very little cash. What they did have, they were careful not to lose. Just my personal experience. Never had much luck on old farms

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with TOM iN CA, after Sandy, the beaches were loaded with all types of coins here in Ohio. I have done well in an area that was an early Irish settlement in Cleveland, it's a park now.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah way back in the day they were so poor here in Western North Carolina if they dropped a dime they would spend all day looking for it an old man told me once

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best luck has been knocking on doors and asking permission to hunt. I have found a few silvers in parks but more on private land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread