What types of sites do YOU maximize your silver take at?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking ahead to 2015 goals, I find myself wondering when I look at posts on here what type of site certain finds are from when there's not much of a back story included. Everybody, as a new detectorist reads the same "where to go" articles that list 101 places to find old coins, relics, and jewelry and, as a result, everybody and their mother goes there. Churches, for example, are on every one of those lists, and I can honestly say I've never found an old coin in a church yard. They were probably there 30 years ago when the people who wrote those articles were detecting, but they've been hit hard.

My question is what TYPES of sites are your "go-to" for silver (or other) old coins nowadays? I've found most of mine at a school from the 20's, although nothing that's come from there has been larger than a dime because it's been cherry picked for so many years now.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Silver coins en-masse can occur after beach erosion gets down into old layers /stratas . My record silver after a single beach storm hunt was 46 (and over 100 wheaties ). I've heard of guys who got up to 100-ish silver per hunts after the right conditions occur.

Unfortunately .... those days are few and far between.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Know if u guys ever looked up republican campaines, gatherings or the like from the 1800's!! they were huge gatherings, recently came across one in 1865 near me where there were 10,000 in attendance,, bands playing, and bare knuckle fights attended by hundreds of onlookers!!!! going there this spring--hope to find some silver myself

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me know when you figure it out, but I think most people keep these a secret! :)

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your best bet is to find a site with some age where the structures are no longer there....a member on another forum found an old picnic site/swimming hole area and her and her hubby found about 150 old coins many of them silver along with relics, etc....

Regards + HH

Bill

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know I've never found more than 1 silver during a hunt. Apparently not in the right type places.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In areas with a lot of active detectorists hunting the parks and schools to death, try asking people to search their pre-1960's private property. Go to the oldest part of town and start knocking on doors. Try researching other old areas in your area that may have been forgotten. Get an old map and compare it with a new one for old schools, parks, fairgrounds, dump sites, etc. Keep an eye out for any new construction sites in the old part of town.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find most of my silver on private properties. If you can find an out of the way football field that has been replace by a newer facility you may find some silver there. I have a field like that near me. in 2 hunts I found 5 silver. 1 barber dime and 4 mercs.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found 40 silver coins in 2014, 1 in a coinstar, 1 in a customer's driveway, and the other 38 detecting old homes. Most of the oldest homes in my town were built in the housing boom of the 1920's, and that is where I focus my permissions. My best finds were in an empty lot where an old house once stood, 1917 walker and 1898 Barber quarter. My goal here in 2015 is 50 silvers, I don't plan on hunting anywhere else, until the permissions run out. I have also dabbled in the CRH, but the thrill of pulling old silver out of the ground turns me on more.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Empty lots in old neighborhoods. Lots on which old homes once stood had kids playing in the yards and Dads digging in their pockets for keys by the driveway before getting into the car. Driveways (or where they were) are generally the most productive for me. Believe me, a bunch of these old empty lots have never been hunted. Do your research and find the neighborhoods built before the 50's to increase the silver count.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best places where I dug mass amounts of silver were in big city apartment complexes that had been built in the 40's - 50's.

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about old farms? I have been eyeing a few around me? Has anyone every tried places like that?

Just wondering if thats worth my time.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know when you figure it out, but I think most people keep these a secret! :)

Yep! I've figured out a type of site that has better than 50% chance of old silver (and lots of it), but I'm not saying because I don't want the places around me I haven't got to yet to be overrun.

The only one (that is well known) I will say is construction areas. If you can get in, and are the first to get in, you can have a bonanza!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about old farms? I have been eyeing a few around me? Has anyone every tried places like that?

Farms are low on coins and high on trash. Still worth a look but don't expect a lot.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

Any old home is a good target. I found 50 silvers in the last 6 months of 2014... include 2 Walkers and Franklin. I did well at the old schools... the old guys said that they were hunted out, but with diligence and a little thought, I was able to locate a few silvers. I have only found three silver coins in a day twice... both times were, older (pre 1960s) houses with undisturbed yards. It is a numbers game, you have to hunt a lot of houses to locate the good ones... most of the houses DO NOT yield silver coins... Maybe 1 in 5. remember, if it was easy, everybody would be posting hands full of silver coins regularly! GL&HH.

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
I was able to detect at the home owned by my grandparents (sometime in my 30's). The house was close to an intersection, and across the street was a little store where they sold ice cream and soft drinks and popsicles.
Of course, almost every time we were there as kids we got money and ran to the store.
I detected on a line from the front porch to the street towards that store; found about a roll of wheat pennies and other assorted coins.
Ironically, some of the coins I found were no doubt some I dropped myself :)

So if you can determine on an old piece of land where people spent their time, or where the kids ran, you should do fairly well.
Any old place is worth checking, but you will find that drops are usually concentrated in certain areas that may not be obvious after the passage of time.
I was lucky to know the best places to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread