Halp! Noob in need of salty advice

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to know what the general consensus is for buying a first time no experience metal detector.
Im willing to spend a little as im sure in time all the diamonds and gold will bring it back ;)

Seriously
Please name companies
Model numbers,
Features and what is a reasonable new / used price
I need to get ready for spring!!
Thanks
I think
Malestrom :thumbsup::dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are cordial, I wouldnt say hes been over for dinner or a beer.
I've not decided on a package yet, I get sleepy reading all the specs and everything so im taking my sweet time.
I have an upcoming reptile expo that im gearing up for so everything else has taken a back seat, I have so much to prepare in addittion to daily care of all my animals. I breed corn snakes and collect for trade and sale many other snakes for the shows.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you already have a hobby that consumes a lot of time. Thing about MD, it consumes a lot of time. If you are looking for something to do to relax then great. If you are looking to make money.. it aint happenin round here.. If you live at a shore town and can hit the beach before and after work or all day (don't work) I bet you could do ok during the summer.

I hit a ball park the other weekend when it was warm and spent about 2 hours.. came home with $8 in quarters and dimes. That was my highest dollar per hour yet and not typical. Only 1 ring in over a year and 4 silver dimes all from private family/friends yards, non older than the 40s..
Take your time, understand what you are buying, and it's limitations as well as it's resale value. It gets expensive fast if you under buy and want to upgrade constantly..

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just for fun, not looking to supplement my income. I do expect prospecting for gemstones will pay off eventually, ill make and sell jewelry.
thanks!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought of s. cape may beaches in the winter as a fun place, ill inquire at the twp building regarding laws, the building inspector down there likes me.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought of s. cape may beaches in the winter as a fun place, ill inquire at the twp building regarding laws, the building inspector down there likes me.
Well when you get your gear, should you ever take a day trip down let me know. I have not had the opportunity to hit the beach, wife will want to go, and with her mom living with us that would not work out.. however if someone else was to initiate the trip I could probably pull it off without to much pain! :laughing7: I can drive just can't go by myself for the day.

Not sure if you know but most detectors in the entry and mid price level don't work well in wet sand where the goodies are. Dry sand is ok, but the salt water make the sand conductive. Most of the machines under $600 that are not build specifically for beach use do not ground balance the conductive salt out and your machine will just chatter like crazy requiring sensitivity to be turned down and lost of any depth. Ground balancing is the ability of the MD to ignore minerals in the ground. Most minerals are iron based, salt based conductivity is not ignored on most machines.
Just keep this in mind if you were planing on MD in the wet sand where all the gold is lost during swimming. One other thing with wet sand beach detecting, some type of harness is probably a good idea since most machines are only water proof up to the box. If you were to drop the machine or put it down to retrieve a target it could get wet, so having a tether would be a good thing, not something you need for land or dry sand.. Beach Detecting also requires some sort of sand scoop. Dry sand scoops don't work in the wet sand, they are not heavy duty enough. A good wet sand scoop typically cost 100+. This is why you kind of have to pick the type of hunting you are going to do, so you buy the proper tools. Adding additional tools later is fine, but something you need to consider when starting out.

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats some serious thinking to do lol!!
Thanks
My pal has a Whites classic III he said he'd lend me, where does this fall in the general usage, fields sand etc as we were discussing? and id definitely initiate a trip to CM come a few months.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a machine from the 90s.. instructions here http://www.whiteselectronics.com/media/downloadable/files/samples/c/l/cl_2_sl_instruction_manual.pdf
It is a dry sand only I would guess but not sure. This is one of the older analog machines that a lot of people like (No display sound only) Those who have learned them and know them apparently do well with them.
Here is a link to the whites forum for that model. Classics, IDX, & ID

This thread is not really in the correct location for this conversation. We are in the tools forum and this should be more in the metal detecting form so others that know this unit can comment

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to metal detecting forum for more responses.

We have some good used detectors for sale by our members and supporting vendors on our classified forum found under marketplace forum......

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread