TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everyone is now going to ask you what type of detecting you plan on doing. Beach, Parks, Nugget hunting?
It makes a big difference.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro (in no particular order)

Honestly, best thing to do, is just call one of the reputable vendors on here, set the expectation for what your looking for and budget, have them steer you in the right direction. They have real skin in the game to help make sure you get what you want the first time, many are experienced with all the machines. As long as you don't buy a total junky el cheapo machine, its going to work well, as no reputable vendor on here is going to sell you a junk machine if you talk to them about your expectation. If you spend a little, you may outgrow the machine, but it will serve as a good backup. You could sit on this forum all day debating the F2 vs. Eurotek vs. etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder can not post links to non supporting vendors. We have good honest vendors here who sell..

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best detectors for someone with no knowledge of detecting, or idea where it will be used, is:

Fisher F2, Garrett Ace350, Fisher F5, Tesoro DeLeon, Minelab X-Terra 305, White's MX5, Garrett AT-Pro, Tesoro Cortes, White's MXT, Minelab X-Terra 705, Teknetics Omega 8000, White's Matrix M6, Fisher F70, Fisher F75SE/T2SE, Minelab Safari, Fisher F19, or Minelab E-Trac.

That is all. Don't buy anything else.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you!!
Now where do i find these vendors? :occasion14:

Give Bart a call at BigBoysHobbies. He will beat anyone's price and has lightning fast shipping. He's a real stand up guy.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im willing to spend a little as im sure in time all the diamonds and gold will bring it back
wink.png

Since the title is "salty sdvice" and you plan on diamonds (which would have to have gold, silver or other metal jewelry holding them to be detected) we're looking at a beach unit for jewelry? I'm going to suggest a Tesoro Sand Shark to add to Jackalope's list.

If you may also want to hunt parks and picnic areas for coins - not a good choice.

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salty referring to 'old salts' of the hobby, those within the know and past the initial years of learning and onto the years of satisfying trips knowing what to skip and what tools to use and where to look
Sounds like im asking for a personal map haha I'll gladly take one if offered lol!
============================================
With such a grand list of tools available to me, what are your opinions of used units?
If someone put together a package of equipment they had laying around and no longer used that might be of good learning use to me would y'all comment on it or recommend / discourage it?
Im not trying to skimp out, new isnt always best
I like new, shiney is awesome like that new car smell.
However a broken in piece of equipment that has proven itself worthy of passing on may be an option
Comments/opinions please?
Thanks much for all the comments so far, im really enjoying the forum aspect of the hobby, I cant wait to get started.
Does anyone have GPS co-ordinates to the quartz dig in exton on RTE 100?
Please pm me if you do.
Thank you everyone of you for helping me with your knowledge, may your reward be 10x whatever i find for helping me get there, I cant wait!!
oh! 1 more question
Is it a good idea to have a waterproof end for my detector?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
only buy used from someone on this list or a dealer on this list, if you just do random eBay/Craigslist your asking for problems. I find it really only makes sense to buy used if your buying an etrac, ctx3030, excal, or other expensive detector. Many of the ones mentioned are cheap enough, that with the added benefit of the warranty, its just worth it.

Keep in mind when budgeting that you will need other items! At a minimum a GOOD pinpointer. If your doing beaches, you need a good sand scoop. If your doing parks, you need a good digging tool.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Minelab used that I still own and it shows no signs of stopping. Like anything used - sometimes you win and sometimes you are buying someone else's problems. Depends on the condition of the unit, how it was treated, and the original build quality.

No matter what you buy there is a learning curve and period of "paying your dues" in digging trash or nothing at all until you learn what the detector will tell you at various settings and under various conditions.

No, no maps. I'm a coin hunter and all I have to do is get on my local municipalities' or county's website and look up "parks" and I have enough to keep me busy for years. The older coins take some searching and thinking about.

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the kits im seeing that include everything for around 300 bucks
500 isnt out of the question if it makes that big of a difference at this point in time, i can always upgrade later down the road
Thanks everyone ;) :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can. You just need to know where and what you want to hunt for, what type soil you will be hunting in.
For most of us an all a round detector works fine till we need a more specific machine.

OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will probly start on paths in the woods where people walk their dogs and park areas where kids ride swings.
then ill hit the golf course at night, so with those parameters as a beginning point we can assume everything from there.
Eventually, id like to do streams where trout fisherman wade and small run offs.
Does switching the disc switch the nature of the detector from a dry dirt one to a water proof one?
again thanks everyone for the help

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are going to trespass on private golf course ground at night? That is NOT something we do! YOU are going to F it up for others if you get caught, not to mention Police Superintendent Chitwood would be on TV telling everyone about the dimwit digging holes in the golf course at night like the gofer in caddy shack.
Please have respect for private and public property.. just because it is called a public golf course does not give you the right to MD there without permission.
Think before you dig or trespass.

This is posted at many sites, just google Metal Detectors Code of Ethics.
Here is a link to a few of them
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/code-of-ethics
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/code_of_ethics.htm
http://detectingrights.com/code-of-ethics/
http://www.fmdac.org/about/codeofethics.htm
http://www.metaldetectingintheusa.com/metal-detecting-code.html
http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/buying-guide-articles/getting-started/code-of-ethics
https://sites.google.com/site/metaldetectwa/code-of-ethics

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malestrom

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id ask permission for the golf courses, I have made it clear I don't trespass and wouldn't stain the reputation of diggers doing that. I am well acquainted with the chief of police, he offered to send me to police academy. ;)
I'm not a dimwit that sneaks around doing unthoughtful things, thanks for the gusto on ethics but you need not worry about me, if i'm not sure, i don't, I ask and find out and stay between the lines.
ouch! :icon_study:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id ask permission for the golf courses, I have made it clear I don't trespass and wouldn't stain the reputation of diggers doing that. I am well acquainted with the chief of police, he offered to send me to police academy. ;)
I'm not a dimwit that sneaks around doing unthoughtful things, thanks for the gusto on ethics but you need not worry about me, if i'm not sure, i don't, I ask and find out and stay between the lines.
ouch! :icon_study:

EXCELLENT! Glad you are with us because when you said "Hit the Golf course at night" that did not sound to good. There are a lot of folks who don't think about the consequences and do things that effect others in a very adverse manner.
Which packages have you been looking at and what is your time frame to buy? If you have not committed before the thaw, I would be happy to spend a few hours with you and let you take my Coinmaster GT for a spin up at the high school.

BTW
If you are a personal friend with the chief, could you ask him to STAY OFF TV, because HE is Effecting the property values in a VERY adverse manner! :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread