Would you detect a place where you had to give everything back to the owner?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tons of places to hunt here on our farm (late 1700's home sites, tobacco barns, slave quarters) but still I'm drawn to some of the fantastic historic mansions in my area. Many are designated "National Historic Places" and were owned by large plantation owners. There are plenty to choose from and I'll bet at least some would be willing to let me give it a shot. The question is, do you even mention what you plan on doing with the finds up front? Do you give the owner the pick of the finds and keep the rest? What if the owner says okay, but they get to keep everything? Is it still worth detecting to you (time & energy) if you aren't allowed to keep a single item?

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it would be fun anyway, but I would not bring the idea up myself

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for me! My time, skill, and effort are valuable commodities and they would have to pay something for me to even consider hunting their place.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
life is for fun, not profit

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equipment is expensive, my time is valuable. I'm not spending my time and using my equipment solely for the benefit of someone else.

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for me! My time, skill, and effort are valuable commodities and they would have to pay something for me to even consider hunting their place.

I hear ya and that's kind of my thoughts as well. If it were a truly unique and historic place like a battlefield or the home of a significant historical figure, then yea, I might be in for the giggles and to help add to the historical record. Anything other than that, I want to at least be rewarded for my time and effort by being able to take home some of my finds.

Would you use the "pick the best of my finds" as a bargaining chip though? I think that would alleviate some of the anxiety of the owner that you aren't walking out with all their treasure.
:laughing7:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a real tough call. I mean the point is getting your foot in the door, on your first hunt, you are at the property owners mercy. He can say well I let you have a chance and you didn't find or disclose anything to me, or on the other hand, you walk up to the land owner and hold your hand out, smile and say, "I found this and I think it has a direct bearing on your property", doesn't matter whether it does or not, its the possibility of it having a bearing on his/her property.

That just might open the door wider and might open some other doors that the land owner knows.

It's a crap shoot, you win one way one time, the next you loose.

Never mention during your first talk or any talk for that matter anything about "If you find anything", let the property owner bring it up, then haggle, just like anything else everything is open to a lil haggling. You have to have something to offer the property owner, or why else would he/she even let you on their property. If all they get out of the deal is a yard full of divits, they gain nothing, but if you treat them fair and give them items that are from history, relating to their ancestors or the properties history, well then the doors might swing open further giving you carte blac access.

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would go for some quick silver or other interesting items. Show it to the owner, if he wants it, tell him you'll continue to hunt if he is open to splitting some of it up, or if he isn't down with that, tell him thanks for the time, give him his loot and move on.

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<SNIP>You have to have something to offer the property owner, or why else would he/she even let you on their property. If all they get out of the deal is a yard full of divits, they gain nothing, but if you treat them fair and give them items that are from history, relating to their ancestors or the properties history, well then the doors might swing open further giving you carte blac access.

When you frame it in that light, I can see the other side of the argument. Sort of like a golfer expecting to hit the links without paying fees just because he blew a wad on an expensive set of clubs.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not agree to that offer. I woould allow them to pick something to keep, or split perhaps, but not give them everything...

CarolinaCurt

Jan 2, 2015
Pittsboro,NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC l l b, Nautilus l l , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Juice, I would agree to returning everything provided that it is a historical site. Preserving history is why most of us enjoy this hobby and what better way to show the public that we are not just in it for the money. Remember, a lot of sites are being closed to MDing because of negative public opinion and any good will action as hobbyist will help in turning public opinion.

omahaorange

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think attitude and approach is everything. This is actually a two-sided question. Ask yourself why you detect. Is it the thrill of the hunt, or is profit your only motivation? Then the issue is, did you approach the proportion owner, or did he approach you. In the first case, I think some negotiation on the owner's part about splitting the finds is appropriate. It's his property, and you want to dig it. In the second case, where the owner approaches you and says, "I see you have a metal detector, how about checking out my place?" , then you can assume the "my equipment is expensive, and my time valuable" attitude and open the discussion about splits.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think attitude and approach is everything. This is actually a two-sided question. Ask yourself why you detect. Is it the thrill of the hunt, or is profit your only motivation? Then the issue is, did you approach the proportion owner, or did he approach you. In the first case, I think some negotiation on the owner's part about splitting the finds is appropriate. It's his property, and you want to dig it. In the second case, where the owner approaches you and says, "I see you have a metal detector, how about checking out my place?" , then you can assume the "my equipment is expensive, and my time valuable" attitude and open the discussion about splits.

Profit has nothing to do with it for me, but I do like having the old coins in my collection, even though I don't plan to sell them. So, thrill of the hunt yes, but not to just give all the finds away.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only times I search an area knowing that what I find will go to the property owner is when I am called in to look for something that they think may be left behind by a previous owner, deceased relative, etc. In these cases I'm either paid a set fee or sometimes a cut of the finds, it just depends on the deal. These types of hunts usually begin and end inside a house but once your in give easy access to the rest of the property. Most of these people are after the jars, bags, or boxes of coins and don't care about the small stuff. I really enjoy being called in for these because you gain access to places that you would never be allowed to enter otherwise and you also gain the trust of the property owner and that word spreads. Other than that I typically wouldn't do it knowing that I had to give everything that I found back, that just isn't worth it too me. If I just enjoy digging holes I can do that in my own yard or get a job with the county. Doing favors for people is one thing but wasting time is something else and I don't have time to waste. The only exception to this would be if it were a high profile item lost. I'll take the fame without the fortune or the fortune without the fame but the two never go hand in hand, unless you have a hell of a good lawyer.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

I had an opportunity to hunt a church yard just a lawn with shrubs (no graveyard just so you know)....this site goes back to 1825 so it has some age.....I was ok to turn over anything church related or if it was engraved with name, etc.....and I would keep the coins.

Unfortunately the church has since closed down so it didn't pan out.....perhaps ownership as been turned over to the diocese so I may give it another shot in the future.

Regards + HH

Bill

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tons of places to hunt here on our farm (late 1700's home sites, tobacco barns, slave quarters) but still I'm drawn to some of the fantastic historic mansions in my area. Many are designated "National Historic Places" and were owned by large plantation owners. There are plenty to choose from and I'll bet at least some would be willing to let me give it a shot. The question is, do you even mention what you plan on doing with the finds up front? Do you give the owner the pick of the finds and keep the rest? What if the owner says okay, but they get to keep everything? Is it still worth detecting to you (time & energy) if you aren't allowed to keep a single item?

I don't get rid of anything I find. My finds are just stashed away so a picture would be just as good for me personally. I think if I worried about values of finds it would spoil my fun.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a big relic collector so I usually offer those up to the owner if they want them. I like to collect the coins, tokens, badges, and jewelry, mostly. I don't bring up any kind of split when asking for permission. I offer to return anything they may have lost and can describe before detecting begins. I also offer the relics, if need be, to either the owner or to a museum of their choice. Usually the owner doesn't care one way or the other about keeping anything you find unless it has some family ties to it. I let them bring up any concerns they may have and produce the appropriate form if they want it in writing. It's actually been years since someone wanted anything in writing. If you start shoving legal documents under their nose right off the bat, that is a sure way to get them to say NO. I also keep each document separate (permission, liability, and division of finds) so as not to give them ideas they didn't have before!

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I wouldn't do it unless asked to find something important. Certainly not for fun,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread