Every Beer/Soda drinker oughta be required to "treasure hunt" poptabs and bottle caps

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every Beer/Soda drinker oughta be required to "treasure hunt" poptabs and bottle caps

It just gets SO old going to a nice park and finding the incredible volume of trash on the SURFACE. It's not like the stuff is old and people from the 1970's did it.

My new standard answer when metal detecting parks.
Them: "So, find anything good?"
Me: "Nah, I'm just basically getting paid about 60 cents an hour to pick up trash."

It always brings a laugh, but dad-gum if I don't get tired of emptying my satchel. Half the stuff is just laying on the surface.

I wanna hang signs everywhere: "YOU: pick up your own garbage!"

-Skippy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya, Skippy. That just comes from peoples upbringing. When I first moved to the mountains of NC from Ft Lauderdale, the first thing I noticed is that many men up here never learned to flush the toilet for the next guy. Or maybe they were raised with mommy flushing it for them.

I hate the "it's all about me" crowd.

HAHAHA!!!!

That or they've been using automatic flushers for WAYY longer than I have. The other day I went to a restaurant and found myself waving my hand under the faucet repeatedly. Started to get frustrated it wasn't coming on, when I noted, it had a handle. I just burst out laughing, then quickly quieted. Nothing is supposed to be funny in the men's room. :P :)

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm possibly. But if that were true, I would be able to find a roughly random distribution across the fields, right? Not just in the areas people congregate...

Litter bugs are everywhere. Some folks just think it's a right to pollute... Sad, really.

NAILS_N_BOTTLECAPS

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hilarious:).... I did that one day only with the paper towel dispenser. I was getting slightly irritated because I kept waving my hands underneath it several times and trying different angles trying to get the darn thing to spit out a towel....till I finally realized I had to twist this flat " knob?" on the side . You could barely notice it and by THAT time with all that waving I did ,my hands were just about almost dry!

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad that someone would come to enjoy the outdoors and trash it at the same time. I see it all the time. Some of the worst culprits are cigarette smokers. I'm not saying all of course but I've got friends who would never dream of littering but don't even think about tossing a butt. Cigarette butts and plastic bottles will outlast all of us...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some parks have trash cans. Lakes are the trash cans of many boaters and others. Outta sight means its clean. As a diver and water hunter it amazes me of the slobs boaters and fishermen are. While fishing, many just drown the beer or pop can to sink it where it lays on the bottom till the lake is gone. Hardly nobody brings the trash back to the dock and some marinas won't have a trash barrel near the landing as it is "unsightly.":BangHead: shooting-guns.gif

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What i find scary is all the sharp stuff..broken beer bottles,glass,torn pop cans etc. They are in and around buried under the soft material(usually by the swings and play toys)that are for the little ones to play in! How totally LAZY people are that they can't even keep this area safe for small kids who dig around and play in this....just infuriates me.

When I do tot lots, I typically will leave the iron discrimination off... I do that, specifically to catch the nails and screws and stuff. When parents give me funny looks (i usually don't search lots unless they're empty, but sometimes folks will come up while I'm searching), I make it a point to show them the sharp objects I'm pulling out. They're usually very chatty and nice after that! I also will typically give the pennies and nickles to the kids that gather around when my "beeper" goes off. It seems to help a lot, and now when I go back, folks are friendlier (word gets around, I guess).

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's sad that someone would come to enjoy the outdoors and trash it at the same time. I see it all the time. Some of the worst culprits are cigarette smokers. I'm not saying all of course but I've got friends who would never dream of littering but don't even think about tossing a butt. Cigarette butts and plastic bottles will outlast all of us...

I have to agree with that assessment. I think it comes from the habit of tossing out the butts. It just becomes "OK" to throw down other stuff, too. Sad really. It certainly isn't all smokers, but it seems like a lot of litterers are smokers. (wonder if there's been any actual studies done... gonna go look.).

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hilarious:).... I did that one day only with the paper towel dispenser. I was getting slightly irritated because I kept waving my hands underneath it several times and trying different angles trying to get the darn thing to spit out a towel....till I finally realized I had to twist this flat " knob?" on the side . You could barely notice it and by THAT time with all that waving I did ,my hands were just about almost dry!

HA HA! Last night at the movies, I got caught off guard with an automatic sink, and the paper towel dispenser was manual. I waved and waved and waved... Then I found the knob. Had to laugh at myself, given this conversation was already started!

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA HA! Last night at the movies, I got caught off guard with an automatic sink, and the paper towel dispenser was manual. I waved and waved and waved... Then I found the knob. Had to laugh at myself, given this conversation was already started!

My 4 1/2 year old thinks all screens are touch screens! They won't even know what a rotary dial phone is. Back on thread though...he also has gotten into the habit of cleaning up the trash on playgrounds. Monkey see, monkey do!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 4 1/2 year old thinks all screens are touch screens! They won't even know what a rotary dial phone is. Back on thread though...he also has gotten into the habit of cleaning up the trash on playgrounds. Monkey see, monkey do!

Awesome. I'll admit there are days I miss having a young kid wander around "being like Dad." Older kids have perks too, but I can understand the draw of being a grandparent after so many years of dealing with teenagers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread