Every Beer/Soda drinker oughta be required to "treasure hunt" poptabs and bottle caps

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every Beer/Soda drinker oughta be required to "treasure hunt" poptabs and bottle caps

It just gets SO old going to a nice park and finding the incredible volume of trash on the SURFACE. It's not like the stuff is old and people from the 1970's did it.

My new standard answer when metal detecting parks.
Them: "So, find anything good?"
Me: "Nah, I'm just basically getting paid about 60 cents an hour to pick up trash."

It always brings a laugh, but dad-gum if I don't get tired of emptying my satchel. Half the stuff is just laying on the surface.

I wanna hang signs everywhere: "YOU: pick up your own garbage!"

-Skippy

Upvote 0

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I just wish that once, somebody, sometime, somewhere, would get busted for littering. I've never heard of it happening.
The other day we took a ride over the mountain on the back road. Lots of snow...beautiful. Until we got to the top of the mountain and there was a couch and chair somebody dumped along the road. Unbelievable!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've even retrieved smashed beer or pop cans that were buried a few inches that would have been much easier to throw in the trash cans provided.
luvsdux

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that! Makes you wanna go over the ground with a magnet first, but that won't get out the pull tabs of course.

Slobs.

It just gets SO old going to a nice park and finding the incredible volume of trash on the SURFACE. It's not like the stuff is old and people from the 1970's did it.

My new standard answer when metal detecting parks.
Them: "So, find anything good?"
Me: "Nah, I'm just basically getting paid about 60 cents an hour to pick up trash."

It always brings a laugh, but dad-gum if I don't get tired of emptying my satchel. Half the stuff is just laying on the surface.

I wanna hang signs everywhere: "YOU: pick up your own garbage!"

-Skippy

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've even retrieved smashed beer or pop cans that were buried a few inches that would have been much easier to throw in the trash cans provided.
luvsdux

Oh, the WORST around here are the newly laid parks. It seems like about every 20 feet under the sod there's a crushed can, where the workers were too lazy to get up and throw it away. Yeah, I know the summer means a can of soda or two, but COME ON.... Seriously, so lazy that you have to crush the can and put the sod over it? In my park near my house (5 years old), I took almost 20 cans out of it with my son. Was completely pathetic. On the flipside, now that they're clear, I know how much litter is going into the park on a regular basis.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, when I was learning my equipment, I pulled everything from under the sod. My personal favorite was a door panel from a chevy truck (just the part that has the VIN code sticker with the weights and stuff on it. A curved piece of door about 2 feet long. I couldn't believe it. I caught the corner, and it literally just slid out from under the sod (the park had been in place only about 3 years).

HOW BAD is that, that a worker would just put sod over a DOOR panel part. Pathetic!

-Skippy

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luvsdux

Ain't that the truth. I have to wonder why the trashiest spots are the places RIGHT BESIDE THE TRASH CANS. LOL!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Skippy SH13,

I love detecting trashy parks, most people will not hunt there; this leaves all the goodies and trash for me to find. Remember if you hunt trashy places good things will be found and you will sharpen your hunting skills in the process.

Regards,

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it. There is a point when you finally learn and you dig less tabs and more coin/jewelry. The trash makers are there and always will be. We just have to make ourselves smarter in what we seek. Equipment + knowledge = a good hunt.

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched people walk right past freaking trash cans and throw trash right on the ground and laugh. There's a video on YouTube were a guy throws the trash back in people's cars it's funny as ****

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt old 1800s mining camps...trust me..todays slobs are only marginally as skilled at trashing an area as those old miners were.On the upside no one else seems to even try to hunt them.Imagine the wannabe straight from walmart with his new tector and a hand trowel hitting a trashy spot.bam.another cheap machine at a yardsale.
Skill,equipment,luck....in that order

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as for fully buried cans...I highly doubt that someone buried it. I have found a couple full cans in my own yard, and I can tell that it was brought in with Fill dirt when they re-did the drainage ditch in my backyard.

If you ever look around the base of trees, you will always find tons of broken glass, where they keep dumping trashy dirt around the base and when the dirt washes away, the glass stays put.

But I agree, it does suck hitting areas with tons of those things around. I hunt alot of trash dumps, and its amazing how back in the day, people just buried the garbage...outta site outta mind I guess

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trashy parks are my favorite place to hunt, in fact I seek them out. Map it and grid it out for a long term project. Phase 1, regular coil, sensitivity down, discriminate up to kill PT's. 2nd phase, same setup, but raise your coil 2-4 inches off the ground to reduce your electromagnetic flux footprint to get targets adjacent to trash, or use a small coil. Phase 3, start gridding off into 6-10 ft. squares and dig everything that is left, that's when the gold starts to come out, and any older deep coins. You will probably be shocked at what all everybody has been walking over without detecting it. If you have lots of small iron trash get an old TR machine with discrimination, like a Compass 77, and work it with that. Those will out detect any VLF in iron trash areas.
That should keep you busy for a year or so, if it is a small park. If it's a large park it can become a lifetime pursuit. All that trash hides the goodies and runs off the competition and you have your own private place to dig. Cheers!!
P.S. Save all that aluminum trash, as it will be considerable, and sell it for scrap. Makes it a bit less bitter when your digging all those cans, and tabs.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it. There is a point when you finally learn and you dig less tabs and more coin/jewelry. The trash makers are there and always will be. We just have to make ourselves smarter in what we seek. Equipment + knowledge = a good hunt.

Oh heck, I'm all in. I've dug 3 gold rings in January that all showed up as weird foil/pulltab readings. I can't pass up a good solid pull-tab notch. :) It's the thrill of what'll it be THIS time?

The hardest part for me though, is that this park is less than 2 years old! The volume of trash in it is ridiculous. I can't imagine what it'll be like in 20 years, if I don't do my part and keep it clean. LOL

Skippy

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as for fully buried cans...I highly doubt that someone buried it.

Oh no... they're definitely under the sod. It's not like they buried the cans, more like squished them, then laid the sod on top, because they were too lazy to collect their garbage. The cans are always squished, always flattened in the same way, and always exactly under the sod layer. After pulling more than a dozen, the pattern had more than emerged.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trashy parks are my favorite place to hunt, in fact I seek them out. Map it and grid it out for a long term project. Phase 1, regular coil, sensitivity down, discriminate up to kill PT's. 2nd phase, same setup, but raise your coil 2-4 inches off the ground to reduce your electromagnetic flux footprint to get targets adjacent to trash, or use a small coil. Phase 3, start gridding off into 6-10 ft. squares and dig everything that is left, that's when the gold starts to come out, and any older deep coins. You will probably be shocked at what all everybody has been walking over without detecting it. If you have lots of small iron trash get an old TR machine with discrimination, like a Compass 77, and work it with that. Those will out detect any VLF in iron trash areas.
That should keep you busy for a year or so, if it is a small park. If it's a large park it can become a lifetime pursuit. All that trash hides the goodies and runs off the competition and you have your own private place to dig. Cheers!!
P.S. Save all that aluminum trash, as it will be considerable, and sell it for scrap. Makes it a bit less bitter when your digging all those cans, and tabs.

Hmm.. hadn't thought to grid it out like that. Fortunately, the trashy parks aren't THAT trashy. I can't imagine spending more than couple of minutes, maximum in a small grid like you've noted. I'm only noting that the NEW parks are filling up with trash...FAST! Doing my best to empty them out... :)

Skippy

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh heck, I'm all in. I've dug 3 gold rings in January that all showed up as weird foil/pulltab readings. I can't pass up a good solid pull-tab notch. :) It's the thrill of what'll it be THIS time?

The hardest part for me though, is that this park is less than 2 years old! The volume of trash in it is ridiculous. I can't imagine what it'll be like in 20 years, if I don't do my part and keep it clean. LOL

Skippy

I hear ya, Skippy. That just comes from peoples upbringing. When I first moved to the mountains of NC from Ft Lauderdale, the first thing I noticed is that many men up here never learned to flush the toilet for the next guy. Or maybe they were raised with mommy flushing it for them.

I hate the "it's all about me" crowd.

NAILS_N_BOTTLECAPS

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i find scary is all the sharp stuff..broken beer bottles,glass,torn pop cans etc. They are in and around buried under the soft material(usually by the swings and play toys)that are for the little ones to play in! How totally LAZY people are that they can't even keep this area safe for small kids who dig around and play in this....just infuriates me.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Many of the trash finds in newer parks are from the fill brought in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread