As a gneral rule of thumb

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never metal detected in my life. Im now 51 years old and I have some common sense about a few things. Im going to start off digging simple things on my own property first to try and learn the machine.
If I did decide to buy something like a Garrett AT Gold then do most of you think Im starting out with something too advanced or will the learning curve take a little longer than a Ace 250 for example ? Am I getting in over my head with the AT Gold ?
I know that there are many different variables to this question that could determine the right answer but Im asking a general rule of thumb ???
Is the AT Gold ok for a starter detector if Im willing to take the time to learn it ?
Thanks

Upvote 0

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be fine wih the AT Gold or AT Pro. All detectors hava learning curve and some more than others but I would not rank the AT Pros as one of the high ones. You are doing the right thing starting in your own yard. You might even plant a coin garden in a clean area of your yard so you can get familiar with the sounds and display on your machine. Detectors have a language and once you learn your specific detectors language you will be a better detectorist. Dig a lot of targets at first and make notes or at least a mental not of what the VDI # is and how what tone you received. After a while it will become 2nd nature to you. I think you made a good choice on your first detector because you will have the advantage of VDI#'s on the AT Gold or Pro instead of just icons like on the 250. Good luck with your new machine. I have limited use on a AT Pro and I liked it pretty well. I am a Whites guy but the AT Pro is very popular and people find good stuff with them.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're willing to spend the money, AT Pro will allow you to start off in "non-pro" mode, which is VERY similar to what you'll get with an ACE250. Then when you have some confidence, you can change it up and run the pro mode. That's what I've heard, anyway. I'm currently running an ACE350.

-Skippy

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !
I just read the Owners Manual http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/1533500_at_gold_rev_a_english.pdf and I can tell you that I will have to read it a few more times. There is a lot more to this than I thought. Im sure I will figure it out over time but some of the features are confusing. Time and experience shall prevail...I hope.
When you say "non-pro" mode then are are also referring to all metal mode ?
Thanks for the help

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow !
I just read the Owners Manual http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/1533500_at_gold_rev_a_english.pdf and I can tell you that I will have to read it a few more times. There is a lot more to this than I thought. Im sure I will figure it out over time but some of the features are confusing. Time and experience shall prevail...I hope.
Thanks for the help

Sometimes an experience is worth 10x the book! Most of what is in the book seemed like gobbletygook until I actually picked up the machine. Then it was "Lightbulb" moment. "OH! Now I get what that means!"

And that was just with the ACE350, which doesn't do the Pro-mode.

It took me about 10 hours of actual practice to understand the machine, and probably 30-50 to become good at it. Yes, you can hand it to someone and say "swing until you get a beep," but there's SO much more to it.

You'll be digging EVERYTHING for the first 20-50 hours, just to really get a grasp of what's under the dirt, and that's not including the time you're spending learning the machine's bells and whistles.

For example, basic stuff like ground sensitivity, sensitivity, discrmination, etc... all come into play. Some equipment when you discriminate will reduce depth, others simply "block the sound from coming out" but still technically detect the signal (and some will show the detection on the screen, too!)

Equipment that does bell tone is VERY different than equipment that tones through variable sound squeals. No matter which type you use, you'll learn to determine what's in the ground by the signal your getting (it'll vary for a single target). For example, a double chatter on my ACE350 means something is on the surface (even though the signal depth will show 8+ inches), and bottle tabs will beep iron signals at the edges, compared to nickels and gold which are solid beeps.

But all that is just "SOMETIMES." Sometimes I'll get solid tones on Nickel and it'll come out a pristine new pop tab top. LOL

You'll learn to determine what's under the ground, too, by size.. Nails, cans, crushed cans, can slaw, etc... all have a profile and pattern that will be unique to your equipment (and partially to how you like to swing... resulting in different detection tones).

You'll find some tiny targets love a fast swing for a blip, and you'll lose them under slow methodical swings. Other targets on their vertical edge will only be detectable ONE direction on the swing.

Weird stuff is all over the place, and you'll keep learning for years.

Part of the reason I went with the ACE350, is that I knew that it gave me a decent amount of discrimination and power without breaking the bank... I also know that the ACE series hold their value pretty well. I plan to sell one of my two ACE series when I save a bit more for a Garrett ATPro.

All in all, though, I'm thinking the Pro will be super nice, but it wasn't something I could justfy at first. It was TOO easy to get a 350 and get out there swinging. I have NO regrets, even though I intend to upgrade.

The difference between each "level" of detectors is more discrimination, excelling at one thing or another, and a steeper learning curve. No matter how you look at it, you're going to be putting time in.

I chose to get out there, knowing the targets I was shooting for were going to be less than 4" from the surface (park finds), and I could certainly catch jewelry with it. Identify your targets, first, then go get to it, brother!

One thing is for sure... you need to start swinging to start really learning!

Cheers!

Skippy

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow !
Thanks for the help
You're right, there's quite a bit more to this hobby than you first expect. That said, when you get a few hours in the field under your belt, much of what you'll read or pick up from this forum will make more sense when you apply what you read to what you've experienced. Have fun and beware - this hobby can be very addictive.
luvsdux

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes an experience is worth 10x the book! Most of what is in the book seemed like gobbletygook until I actually picked up the machine. Then it was "Lightbulb" moment. "OH! Now I get what that means!"

And that was just with the ACE350, which doesn't do the Pro-mode.

It took me about 10 hours of actual practice to understand the machine, and probably 30-50 to become good at it. Yes, you can hand it to someone and say "swing until you get a beep," but there's SO much more to it.

You'll be digging EVERYTHING for the first 20-50 hours, just to really get a grasp of what's under the dirt, and that's not including the time you're spending learning the machine's bells and whistles.

For example, basic stuff like ground sensitivity, sensitivity, discrmination, etc... all come into play. Some equipment when you discriminate will reduce depth, others simply "block the sound from coming out" but still technically detect the signal (and some will show the detection on the screen, too!)

Equipment that does bell tone is VERY different than equipment that tones through variable sound squeals. No matter which type you use, you'll learn to determine what's in the ground by the signal your getting (it'll vary for a single target). For example, a double chatter on my ACE350 means something is on the surface (even though the signal depth will show 8+ inches), and bottle tabs will beep iron signals at the edges, compared to nickels and gold which are solid beeps.

But all that is just "SOMETIMES." Sometimes I'll get solid tones on Nickel and it'll come out a pristine new pop tab top. LOL

You'll learn to determine what's under the ground, too, by size.. Nails, cans, crushed cans, can slaw, etc... all have a profile and pattern that will be unique to your equipment (and partially to how you like to swing... resulting in different detection tones).

You'll find some tiny targets love a fast swing for a blip, and you'll lose them under slow methodical swings. Other targets on their vertical edge will only be detectable ONE direction on the swing.

Weird stuff is all over the place, and you'll keep learning for years.

Part of the reason I went with the ACE350, is that I knew that it gave me a decent amount of discrimination and power without breaking the bank... I also know that the ACE series hold their value pretty well. I plan to sell one of my two ACE series when I save a bit more for a Garrett ATPro.

All in all, though, I'm thinking the Pro will be super nice, but it wasn't something I could justfy at first. It was TOO easy to get a 350 and get out there swinging. I have NO regrets, even though I intend to upgrade.

The difference between each "level" of detectors is more discrimination, excelling at one thing or another, and a steeper learning curve. No matter how you look at it, you're going to be putting time in.

I chose to get out there, knowing the targets I was shooting for were going to be less than 4" from the surface (park finds), and I could certainly catch jewelry with it. Identify your targets, first, then go get to it, brother!

One thing is for sure... you need to start swinging to start really learning!

Cheers!

Skippy

Well hot diggity-dogs. Thats a really great way of saying it and thanks for explaining it so my uneducated butt could understand.
Have a great day and Im going to do some more reading and researching.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, there's quite a bit more to this hobby than you first expect. That said, when you get a few hours in the field under your belt, much of what you'll read or pick up from this forum will make more sense when you apply what you read to what you've experienced. Have fun and beware - this hobby can be very addictive.
luvsdux

Exactly right. I feel more comfortable now that I feel like I can make it through the sharpest bend of the learning curve with time and experience.
Thanks

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly right. I feel more comfortable now that I feel like I can make it through the sharpest bend of the learning curve with time and experience.
Thanks

So, did you get the Pro? I'm really excited about hearing what your first experiences will be like. Living vicariously though you, so to speak. We all only get one shot at being a newbie, and there's NOTHING quite so exhilarating as getting out there and making your first find.

My son went with me while there was still 2" of snow on the ground. We decided we'd never find anything in the ground, because it was frozen, so we went to the kiddy area with the bark. We brought a shovel. There was only about 1" of snow over the wood chips (dunno why... maybe they soaked up more heat than the ground?). Anyway... we worked the area for a bit, and my very first find as a screw... followed by a chunk of can, then a metal cap to a USB stick, then a corner to an eyeglasses arm (tiny screw in a plastic arm, at more than 10" down! I was REALLY impressed it found it)... Then finally.. FINALLY, I found a penny!

My son was with me and when we dug it up, we literally WHOOPED! We got so excited. The next dig was a dime. We were grinning ear to ear. On the way home, we were talking about how COOL it was to find stuff. It was only about an hour later (when I got off the high of the event), that I realized how many times in my life I've literally seen change on the ground and didn't bother to pick it up. A penny? Seriously? Why in the world would I get excited over a penny!?

That was the moment, though, that I realized it didn't matter. When I hunt with a gun, it's not for the meat, it's for the HUNT. (though I always eat what I shoot, and am careful to make sure things are done right). Same thing with metal detecting. The thrill is in the experience.

The coin was a 1964 penny. My son wanted to look it up to see what kind of coin it was, so we did. Found out anything prior to 1982 would be copper. We then went to the big jar of change in the house and promptly separated out all of the copper pennies (we're gonna be RICH! Right??)

The next night, we separated all the coins into baggies.

The next night, I remembered I had a TON of cardboard coin flips (I used to collect and clean ancient roman coins... but usually gave them away...for me, it was the thrill of the hunt again [what's under all that dirt?] and the research)... We started putting the best of each year into the coin flips...

That's when I decided it'd be worth getting my son some penny books. I got him the Flying Eagle through 2013 books, and we started filling them. We've found a good two dozen pennies for the books from metal detecting, though the only Wheat Penny I've found we already had (I bought a bunch of rolls to get him started).

From there, we've just really taken off.

It's funny how the whole experience is different for different folks. It's why I'm curious to find out YOUR experience. What will peak your interest? I know it started as gold, but what will happen when you get going? I NEVER would have guessed I'd be helping my son fill out a penny book! Where's your experience going to go?

Are you going to get into jewelry? Coins? Metals? Relics? Very fascinating this process you're on! Sure hope you stick around and share!

Cheers,

Skippy

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, did you get the Pro? I'm really excited about hearing what your first experiences will be like. Living vicariously though you, so to speak. We all only get one shot at being a newbie, and there's NOTHING quite so exhilarating as getting out there and making your first find.

My son went with me while there was still 2" of snow on the ground. We decided we'd never find anything in the ground, because it was frozen, so we went to the kiddy area with the bark. We brought a shovel. There was only about 1" of snow over the wood chips (dunno why... maybe they soaked up more heat than the ground?). Anyway... we worked the area for a bit, and my very first find as a screw... followed by a chunk of can, then a metal cap to a USB stick, then a corner to an eyeglasses arm (tiny screw in a plastic arm, at more than 10" down! I was REALLY impressed it found it)... Then finally.. FINALLY, I found a penny!

My son was with me and when we dug it up, we literally WHOOPED! We got so excited. The next dig was a dime. We were grinning ear to ear. On the way home, we were talking about how COOL it was to find stuff. It was only about an hour later (when I got off the high of the event), that I realized how many times in my life I've literally seen change on the ground and didn't bother to pick it up. A penny? Seriously? Why in the world would I get excited over a penny!?

That was the moment, though, that I realized it didn't matter. When I hunt with a gun, it's not for the meat, it's for the HUNT. (though I always eat what I shoot, and am careful to make sure things are done right). Same thing with metal detecting. The thrill is in the experience.

The coin was a 1964 penny. My son wanted to look it up to see what kind of coin it was, so we did. Found out anything prior to 1982 would be copper. We then went to the big jar of change in the house and promptly separated out all of the copper pennies (we're gonna be RICH! Right??)

The next night, we separated all the coins into baggies.

The next night, I remembered I had a TON of cardboard coin flips (I used to collect and clean ancient roman coins... but usually gave them away...for me, it was the thrill of the hunt again [what's under all that dirt?] and the research)... We started putting the best of each year into the coin flips...

That's when I decided it'd be worth getting my son some penny books. I got him the Flying Eagle through 2013 books, and we started filling them. We've found a good two dozen pennies for the books from metal detecting, though the only Wheat Penny I've found we already had (I bought a bunch of rolls to get him started).

From there, we've just really taken off.

It's funny how the whole experience is different for different folks. It's why I'm curious to find out YOUR experience. What will peak your interest? I know it started as gold, but what will happen when you get going? I NEVER would have guessed I'd be helping my son fill out a penny book! Where's your experience going to go?

Are you going to get into jewelry? Coins? Metals? Relics? Very fascinating this process you're on! Sure hope you stick around and share!

Cheers,

Skippy
I have absolutely no idea. Seriously I guess I want to be able to find something of significant value like some old coins, then possibly gold jewlry etc...
I have not bought the detector yet because Im still trying to read all that I can first. I suspect it will be within the next few days. Im sure I will be excited when I dig up my first nail :hello2:
Im really glad you have turned your hobby into a family adventure and learning experience.
I wish you the best and I will be glad to update my first new finds.
Thanks

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes you are better off hitting youtube and watching videos on the machine you are considering.I've never even opened the book on my at pro.That being said I have had many machines and alot of what they do is overlap.Go to garrett.com and watch the how to vids...they well done.Same with any brand you are considering

cheers

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes you are better off hitting youtube and watching videos on the machine you are considering.I've never even opened the book on my at pro.That being said I have had many machines and alot of what they do is overlap.Go to garrett.com and watch the how to vids...they well done.Same with any brand you are considering

cheers

That sounds like a good idea for me.
Thanks

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very best thing you can do to help you decide on a detector is to do a road trip to a good metal detector shop that carries all brands of detectors, so that you can hold, and hear different machines. Like any other tool, some just feel more right than others.

One other versatile machine I would recommend is the Xterra 705. As a new user, you can pretty much turn it on and go, but there are also features available for the more experienced hunter.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are online training videos by Garrett detectors showing how to understand different settings and uses of detectors.

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are online training videos by Garrett detectors showing how to understand different settings and uses of detectors.

I just started out myself, and went through the same process the OP is. I watched a ton of YouTube videos, lurked a lot here before signing up, read the manuals, etc. I ended up getting the Ace 350. I liked the price, "Double D" coil it comes with, and the Garrett interface makes the most sense to this rookie. After spending a few hours on the machine, I can say that you pick up the process very quickly.

The hardest part so far (and something I am still mastering) is keeping the coil the right distance off the ground without banging it into the rocks. I recommend getting a coil cover. They are cheap and protect the much more expensive coil until you get the muscle memory down.

So far this a great hobby, and all I've found is a few bottlecaps, some trash and a 2013 penny! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far this a great hobby, and all I've found is a few bottlecaps, some trash and a 2013 penny! :D
I will be glad to make it that far.
Thanks again for everybodys great help.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the YouTube videos a indespensable tool to learn with. For example,seeing how one ground balances is a lot easier then reading about it then trying to do it. I love my pro. You may not find a lot at first or get a little frustrated but keep with it. At one point, it will be like a light bulb going off. Then you'll really be hooked

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started out myself, and went through the same process the OP is. I watched a ton of YouTube videos, lurked a lot here before signing up, read the manuals, etc. I ended up getting the Ace 350. I liked the price, "Double D" coil it comes with, and the Garrett interface makes the most sense to this rookie. After spending a few hours on the machine, I can say that you pick up the process very quickly.

The hardest part so far (and something I am still mastering) is keeping the coil the right distance off the ground without banging it into the rocks. I recommend getting a coil cover. They are cheap and protect the much more expensive coil until you get the muscle memory down.

You ought to try corn stubble,it takes awhile to get used to the swing.

Attachments

• imple machine 003.JPG
    imple machine 003.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread