Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a quick search on here but couldn't find what I was looking for.... and let's get this out of the way too - I have no intention of selling this coin...it's a common date IHP worth about $5 for a good, non-dug coin. I know cleaning "devalues" but I'd rather it look good in my collection, which is where it's going to stay.

I dug an 1890 IH penny yesterday that I initially thought was so corroded I wouldn't even be able to get a date off of it. When I got home I soaked it for a few minutes, scrubbed it lightly with some dish soap and a soft toothbrush (based on recommendations from the IHP king himself, "Goes4Ever" on his website). Turns out, it's in quite good shape on the obverse (the reverse is pretty worn), minus several rough, raised green areas. The numbers on the date are very distinct around the edges, and the Liberty is visible, so it'd be nice if I was able to get rid of this crap that's on the front.

I've tried peroxide in the past but every time I do I'm always left with something worse than when I started (never turns out like everybody's "before and after" comparisons I see on the forums from time to time. Beyond that, any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did a quick search on here but couldn't find what I was looking for.... and let's get this out of the way too - I have no intention of selling this coin...it's a common date IHP worth about $5 for a good, non-dug coin. I know cleaning "devalues" but I'd rather it look good in my collection, which is where it's going to stay.

I dug an 1890 IH penny yesterday that I initially thought was so corroded I wouldn't even be able to get a date off of it. When I got home I soaked it for a few minutes, scrubbed it lightly with some dish soap and a soft toothbrush (based on recommendations from the IHP king himself, "Goes4Ever" on his website). Turns out, it's in quite good shape on the obverse (the reverse is pretty worn), minus several rough, raised green areas. The numbers on the date are very distinct around the edges, and the Liberty is visible, so it'd be nice if I was able to get rid of this crap that's on the front.

I've tried peroxide in the past but every time I do I'm always left with something worse than when I started (never turns out like everybody's "before and after" comparisons I see on the forums from time to time. Beyond that, any other suggestions?

Congrats on your IH and I too have trouble getting the crustiness off stuff too. I have found a U.S. large cent that was thick with green stuff and now a V-Nickel that is also cruddy and toasted green after being coated with pesticides and fertilizer from corn fields. G.A.P. Is that what I should try first if I'm lucky enough to find a non silver coin? The details were decent enough when I dug the coin,maybe I should have left it alone.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CoilyGirl
yes it works, you must have some crudy coins or old flat buttons around.
I use a small piece of ash wood around 1 yr. old cured in the wood pile, works great on old Buffalo Nickels too.
Gary

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got an old crusty flat button but I think it was burned in a fire. Just hoping I get lucky one day and find another largie or V nickel in better conditions without corrosion from harsh chemicals. trpnBills hope your IH comes clean with time.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I'm working with, by the way... I hate my camera, but you get the idea...

Attachments

• 1890 IHP.jpeg
    1890 IHP.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 193

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a ultrasonic cleaner, I picked up a decent sized one with heat for $35.00 at Harbor Freight. That is what they use at jewelry shops to clean jewelry, I use mine to clean carb jets, detecting finds, jewelry, old knives, etc...

Here are two items I cleaned with my ultrasonic cleaner.

[video=youtube;KeLq6Iky5sI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KeLq6Iky5sI[/video]

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not too shabby on that IH trpnBils,your coin has great detail. As luck has it today I found an 1895 V-nickel but she is well worn,not sure on what to do.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just in reading the forums over the past 12 hours or so I can count almost 20 V nickels that were found yesterday by only about 6 people. That's nuts...I got my first Shield last year but the V is still elusive to me.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I've done with Indians like that is put them in some lemon juice for 30-40 seconds then try to rub it off. Then I repeat, it seems to work good. Then I wash them with water to get the acid off. Last step I put them in mineral or olive oil for a day or two to kinda seal the coin. Just don't do that with old coppers, it will eat them. Don't forget about the Indian either or the same thing will happen,just a half minute at a time

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just in reading the forums over the past 12 hours or so I can count almost 20 V nickels that were found yesterday by only about 6 people. That's nuts...I got my first Shield last year but the V is still elusive to me.

I just bought a handful of them for a quarter a piece at our local gold/silver shop. I wanted to filll a bit of my nickel collection out. I used my CLAD finds to pay for them.

In the past couple of weeks, I stopped getting hung up on finding the elusive dirt dug coins, and realized I can add to my collection other ways.

I know this is NOT for everyone (some folks aren't in it for the collection, but the fact they FOUND the coin), but it's a nice way to fill out collections if you're just looking at it that way.

For me, finding clad and turning it into old coins is the same as finding old coins (sort of)... the end results are my metal detecting is resulting in old coin collection growth!

Skippy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dry ice. Apply - thaw. Chip off the crud with a sharpened popsicle stick. Repeat until done.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's my V nickel I found. The reverse isn't quite as clear.
image.jpg

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Soapy water for a couple of minutes and leave it in the sunniest window from sun up all day- move it from window to window to follow the sun- closer to the glass the better- people have had great results on car dashboards. you have to do all day before you do anything else! The uv seems to start breaking up the Biological detritus (sic) !
Good Luck

Last edited:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While researching the original first half-penny (one went for auction for 2.53 million dollars or something like that), I came across an interesting note on a Certified coin. Specifically, it noted there was some verdigris that had been removed from the half-cent using ACETONE, which is apparently safe to use on coins?

I have NO idea if this works or not, but I found it immensely interesting. If acetone doesn't damage the coin, but will remove other crud, it might be worth a shot. Acetone, btw, is what is used in Nail Polish Remover.

It'll strip paint, for sure, but I don't know if it'll take off tarnish (which we'd want to leave on a coin). Have to check with some old copper pennies and find out! I'll post back my results in a few days.

Skippy

[Edit] Some quick research shows that ACETONE is safe, but you may be looking at DAYS of soaking for removal of Verdigris. In one post, the poster noted it took 3 days of soaking to remove a small green spot on a King Charles X 40 FF with green copperrot in the ear.

The other thing is, you can stop the rot, and you can remove the Verdigris, but there will ALWAYS be a mark where the damage was done... but you can certainly prevent further damage without affecting the value of the coin (if done properly).

Last edited:

omahaorange

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the "green stuff" (verdigris) try this stuff:

Verdi-Care Coin Fluid

I've never tried it, but it reviews well on several coin forums.

Acetone will losen dirt/grime, but I do not believe it works on the verdigris. As far as corrosion, you're on your own. There is nothing you can do about that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread