Rings and other modern treasures

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To start things off I will tell ya I was on the forum quite a bit last summer when deciding what detector to get, I bought one and ever since I have really come to love detecting, thank you for all of the help with deciding on a new detector! Late last fall I also received a White's pin pointer as a gift and holy crap did that make things easier! It was like night and day detecting with a pin pointer although I think starting off without one may have helped sharpen my pin pointing skills with the coil. Anyhow this year I would really like to try detecting some beaches deeper in the water. Do those of you who detect in the water find your jewelry finds are much better in the water than anywhere else? I would think there might be more rings and jewelry in the water than anywhere else. So far my best areas for jewelry have been soccer fields but I would like to know of any other higher percentage areas you have had success in. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also like to add I have searched beach volleyball courts with no luck(assuming someone beat me to it), baseball fields and of course parks. Baseball fields for me haven't been too great and parks usually yield coins but nothing too valuable yet. Of course I will be getting a long handled scoop for water detecting, I just finished reading the current thread on beach scoops and think I am more confused now than when before I read it! Lots of differing opinions out there. Also if there is anyone out there looking for company when detecting shoot me a message, I would like to share my excitement with another detectorist and maybe get some tips from watching someone else's technique. I am located in the west metro in Mn..

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things, if you are going to detect in the water, you really should have a waterproof detector. And a good water scoop. Also, there are regs in a good part of the metro regarding water detecting. City of Minneapolis does t allow it during the summer, 3 Rivers park district doesn't allow it at all, and Ramsey County requires a permit and restricts time to before 11:00 and after 8:00 pm in the summer

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Susan, I was aware of the Three Rivers Parks anti-detecting rule and also the Minneapolis/Hennepin county rules but not Ramsey. I am willing to travel a bit to get to some unrestricted areas. My detector is waterproof(AT Pro) and I am in the process of shopping for a water scoop. I don't make it over to Ramsey county often so that will be easy to avoid. Do you remember when the no summer detecting starts for Minneapolis? Guess I can look it up. My plan is to get out there in the next couple weeks while the ice has only receded about 50-100 feet from shore, I am thinking with the majority of the lake still frozen waves will be minimal. I am not concerned with the cold water, I have my trapping gear to keep me warm while detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions