Looking to upgrade, Any thoughts?

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I have been swinging an F2 with 8 inch coil for about three years now. I love the machine and work it hard and have been pleased with what I have found. I really want to upgrade but money is a little tight right now so was thinking of getting the 11 inch DD coil for the F2 while I save up for a second machine. I have been very interested in the AT Pro and know a few people who have found some great things with them, but then this weekend I ran into a few other guy detecting who were talking to me about going with White's and they are double the AT Pro price. Is the AT Pro a good upgrade from an F2? The big this is I can't detect wet sand at the ocean beaches with an F2 only the dry sand. Let me know your thoughts and ideas, I am just hooked on this hobby! Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get the MX-5 used with warranty for around $450. Very good machine imo and I actually like it better than the MXT-Pro for most hunting situations.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used an AT Pro for a little while, and really liked it. For the money, it is an excellent machine. I switched to Deus, and really enjoy using it... however, it is a bit more expensive. Good luck!

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think you should start with the 11" dd coil upgrade get used to it and then look at machine upgrade.

OP
OP
M

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my plan. The new coil is $127 which I can dig that in about 6-8 weeks so I could have it for summer. I am only working part time so I need to save, but hey if work tosses me an Xmas bonus then I'll upgrade to a new machine.

OP
OP
M

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my F2 and how easy it is to use. I plan on keeping it because when I talk to friends they always want to try it and it is a great machine to learn with. I'll upgrade the coil first since that isn't too costly. Feel I will get better older targets with the DD coil.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my wife the 11"dd for her f2.wow.It has made a big differance for her.deeper,faster,better in trash.It is a little heavier but not bad.She hasnt taken it off since she tried it.And yes the atpro is an excellent upgrade.It is useable in wet salt sand but a little chatty.You may be better off with a dedicated salt water machine and keep your f2 for dry areas

OP
OP
M

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your help everyone! I am going to order the DD coil for the F2 and play around with that for a while. Maybe it will increase my clad pile and enough for a new machine before winter. I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube of people using the F2 with 8 inch coil then going back to the same spot with the 11inch DD coil and dig a whole lot more and better finds so for now it seems to be the best upgrade.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Bigfoot mentioned the AT Pro won't work in the wet saltwater sand, it will be chatty like all single freq. detectors. That 11" DD coil for the F-2 is a wise move.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind when choosing a new detector is weight. The F2 is on the lighter side, the AT Pro too, but all of the Whites are heavy machines. Be sure to try swinging one for a while before you buy it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing to keep in mind when choosing a new detector is weight. The F2 is on the lighter side, the AT Pro too, but all of the Whites are heavy machines. Be sure to try swinging one for a while before you buy it.

You got that right. I had a CoinGT that lasted with me a week. Tiresome and noisy, but some people love 'em.

By the time Christmas bonuses are paid, the F11, F22 and F44 will be out. That could be a great upgrade option as well.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Susan, I have to respectfully disagree. The MX-5 is not heavy and the best balanced machine and one of the most capable I have used. I have an MXT also that is a little heavier than the MX-5 but very well balanced compared to the S shaft of the ATP

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Susan, I have to respectfully disagree. The MX-5 is not heavy and the best balanced machine and one of the most capable I have used. I have an MXT also that is a little heavier than the MX-5 but very well balanced compared to the S shaft of the ATP

According to the manual, the MX-5 weight is 3 lbs 9 oz. Even Fishers flagship F75 doesn't weigh that much. I see that there is a big difference in a battery pack under the cuff, over a 9V battery. Nothing against you or Whites, but the facts are the facts. Maybe it's made stronger. But that extra 1 lb 4 oz over even a F19 can be felt by some after awhile.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know simply comparing the weight in the manual may lead some to think that. I had the F-19 and it is featherlight but the MX-5 swings better due to the distribution of weight. It is exactly the same as comparing the Etrac to the CTX. The CTX is a pound heavier but much better balanced.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Bigfoot mentioned the AT Pro won't work in the wet saltwater sand, it will be chatty like all single freq. detectors. That 11" DD coil for the F-2 is a wise move.

Thought the AT Pro had multiple frequencies, I have one and haven't messed with it but I thought I had seen somewhere it has four frequencies?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just a very minute single freq shift to help with emi or crosstalk with other machines. Minelab FBS & BBS, Fisher CZ, and Whites V series use multiple freq simultaneously

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Hey everyone! I have been swinging an F2 with 8 inch coil for about three years now. I love the machine and work it hard and have been pleased with what I have found. I really want to upgrade but money is a little tight right now so was thinking of getting the 11 inch DD coil for the F2 while I save up for a second machine. I have been very interested in the AT Pro and know a few people who have found some great things with them, but then this weekend I ran into a few other guy detecting who were talking to me about going with White's and they are double the AT Pro price. Is the AT Pro a good upgrade from an F2? The big this is I can't detect wet sand at the ocean beaches with an F2 only the dry sand. Let me know your thoughts and ideas, I am just hooked on this hobby! Thanks everyone.

No! Go second hand and get something good, a Minelab Sovereign, Whites MXT, Minelab Explorer, Fisher CZ etc. at least second hand you can get good prices on decent detectors.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A man in good shape may not notice what women and some older people would. There is a reason Minelab and Whites make these.
237-30110245-450-3f.jpg 960-8025260-450-1f.jpg

Fisher makes one for the CZ. But their F series doesn't need them. Their existence alone says someone had to complain about the weight, even if it were their engineers.

The OP may not have an issue with heavier detectors. That's fine. I am just backing susan's statement that he try swinging one. It was a deal killer for me. It's not about bad or good. It's about opening the mind to the many option that make up a good detecting experience. It's not always about depth....

Last edited:

I Dig WV

Greenie
May 25, 2014
Tad,WV
Detector(s) used
white's coinmaster hp classic III ....V3i...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make it simple.............Forget the rest and go for the best....White's V3i..........................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread