Looking to upgrade, Any thoughts?

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I have been swinging an F2 with 8 inch coil for about three years now. I love the machine and work it hard and have been pleased with what I have found. I really want to upgrade but money is a little tight right now so was thinking of getting the 11 inch DD coil for the F2 while I save up for a second machine. I have been very interested in the AT Pro and know a few people who have found some great things with them, but then this weekend I ran into a few other guy detecting who were talking to me about going with White's and they are double the AT Pro price. Is the AT Pro a good upgrade from an F2? The big this is I can't detect wet sand at the ocean beaches with an F2 only the dry sand. Let me know your thoughts and ideas, I am just hooked on this hobby! Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DD Coil is a good move. I swung a Fisher F4 (with a DD coil) most of last season and it paid for itself. I also chose to upgrade when I found a great deal on a used F75 SE LTD. I love it. Wanted the boost process since I have permissions to do some fields where homes once sat. The plan this year is to return to many places and go slow and deep in boost mode to see if goodies ring up. Good Luck.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMHO, weight is weight. 5 lb's of feathers weighs the same as 5 lb's of lead. After several hours of swinging a heavyweight Whites unit, your arm really doesn't care about the great the balance. If Whites wants to become competitive again, they need to lose the box and develop a unit that doesn't require a sleeve of batteries to operate. A less complicated menu would help as well.

Alternatively, if you aren't trying to cover an entire field in a day and can give your arm an occasional rest, most grown men can put up with the extra weight. My wife hated the weight of our VX3 however and I sold it recently for a much lighter Fisher machine. I'm not missing the 1.5 lb difference a bit to be honest. If your dream ride is a big cushy Cadillac with all the modern do dads and electronics, but housed within one of their 1970's style bodies, then White's is for you.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JMHO, weight is weight. 5 lb's of feathers weighs the same as 5 lb's of lead. After several hours of swinging a heavyweight Whites unit, your arm really doesn't care about the great the balance. If Whites wants to become competitive again, they need to lose the box and develop a unit that doesn't require a sleeve of batteries to operate. A less complicated menu would help as well.

Alternatively, if you aren't trying to cover an entire field in a day and can give your arm an occasional rest, most grown men can put up with the extra weight. My wife hated the weight of our VX3 however and I sold it recently for a much lighter Fisher machine. I'm not missing the 1.5 lb difference a bit to be honest. If your dream ride is a big cushy Cadillac with all the modern do dads and electronics, but housed within one of their 1970's style bodies, then White's is for you.

You are aware someone changed your name to "Juice in the hole" right? :laughing7: Good points though, my shoulder kills me after a couple hours of detecting, can't imagine having anything heavier. I think the sore shoulder may be underlying issues though like bursitis or something.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know what they say about opinions. Which much lighter Fisher did you decide on?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I have been swinging an F2 with 8 inch coil for about three years now. I love the machine and work it hard and have been pleased with what I have found. I really want to upgrade but money is a little tight right now so was thinking of getting the 11 inch DD coil for the F2 while I save up for a second machine. I have been very interested in the AT Pro and know a few people who have found some great things with them, but then this weekend I ran into a few other guy detecting who were talking to me about going with White's and they are double the AT Pro price. Is the AT Pro a good upgrade from an F2? The big this is I can't detect wet sand at the ocean beaches with an F2 only the dry sand. Let me know your thoughts and ideas, I am just hooked on this hobby! Thanks everyone.
The AT Pro won't be much better in the wet sand at a salt water beach. For that purpose, you need a Minelab if you want good depth and discrimination, or a Fisher CZ21, or a PI machine if your beach isn't riddled with iron.

OP
OP
M

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches by me are pretty clean, mostly beat up old cans but it is Long Island, NY so people wear a lot of jewelry on the beach here. I will definitly look into a beach machine as well as an all purpose one to upgrade. Everything in time. I have been using my F2 with the stock 8inch coil and have been pretty pleased with it, especially since I work it very very hard and it has never failed me. But it really needs better clarity so I figure the upgrade while saving and shopping around will be a good start.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches by me are pretty clean, mostly beat up old cans but it is Long Island, NY so people wear a lot of jewelry on the beach here. I will definitly look into a beach machine as well as an all purpose one to upgrade. Everything in time. I have been using my F2 with the stock 8inch coil and have been pretty pleased with it, especially since I work it very very hard and it has never failed me. But it really needs better clarity so I figure the upgrade while saving and shopping around will be a good start.

I think all the opinions given by the great people here are very valid. I have used many detectors not listed on my sig, one of my number one deciding factors is a machine that works very well on land and salty wet sand. I live on the beach, and frankly if you have the option to visit one frequently it's an awful waste to not detect on it.If this is your preference none of the single frequency machines mentioned above will do a good job except the Racer by Makro or Nokta Fors Core. I prefer American made proven customer service companies, but many are playing catchup in the innovation department. A multifrequency non submersible machine like a Whites VX3, or Minelab will work well. As far as weight it depends greatly on your physical condition, I can swing my CZ20 for 7 hours after that my shoulder tingles, it is a heavy beast. As someone mentioned above, weight is not everything though balance is just as important. This all has to do with physics and torque, some heavier machines feel better to swing due to weight distribution and angular momentum characteristics .I can swing my Whites DFX just as long as my Gamma 6000,the gamma is lighter however the balance on the DFX with a 9.5 coil is superb. Consider a multifrequency or a Racer if you want a machine that will work well everywhere.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread