Upvote 1

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine has done the same since I bought it a couple of years age. But like you I just turn it off and back on again. No problem.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi-

Check out this video by Beau Ouimette- it may be your problem-

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett is really good on sending accessories back that are not working a 100%
send it back

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks All. It continues to alert even when taken away from the target. I will try the ground balance the guy suggests in the video before I call Garrett.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While reading complaints from other pro-pointer owners i discovered a possible fix. Believe it or not one recommendation is to take the battery out and depress the button with the battery out. While it was out i depressed the on off button and got one single tone. I then replaced the battery and it seems OK now. Something about clearing the CMOS in the unit.
Will advise if the fix works.

CyrusKain

Greenie
May 19, 2015
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would love to know, ty. Haven't had this problem yet; but, if I do, would love to see if this is a fix.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather permitting I will test it tomorrow and let you know.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While reading complaints from other pro-pointer owners i discovered a possible fix. Believe it or not one recommendation is to take the battery out and depress the button with the battery out. While it was out i depressed the on off button and got one single tone. I then replaced the battery and it seems OK now. Something about clearing the CMOS in the unit.
Will advise if the fix works.

There's a capacitor in the tool, then. Depressing the button drains it, and the associated "memory" in whatever chip is being powered by it. By clearing it all, it's like pulling the plug on a device that needs more than a reboot.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was informative, thanks! Good to know!

Mine started beeping like crazy before but I think it was caused by a low battery. It stopped when I changed it.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is how mine started. I will let you know later. Will check it now.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that was informative, thanks! Good to know!

Mine started beeping like crazy before but I think it was caused by a low battery. It stopped when I changed it.

A couple of things I've found on Pro Pointers:
1) They ground balance when you turn them on. If you turn them on near metal, you might discover your metal detecting ability with the pro pointer drops significantly or is non-existent. Hold it up in the air when you turn it on, listen for the beep set that indicates ground balance, then start pointing.
2) When the battery starts going low, if you leave the pro pointer "on" it'll start beeping erratically after a while. This is an indicator to me, at least, that it's about time to replace. Not right away, but close.
3) That stupid button design doesn't last. Eventually the button won't work, and you'll find yourself holding the button to get it to work. I have two pointers, they both lasted about 3 months before having this problem. Seems to come and go though... like when you first go out, the button will work for a bit, then stop after a few uses.
4) Remember the whole shaft is a detector. My son forgets this and tries to "point" to find. Start by wiping, then get specific.
5) Watch out for your own jewelry and metal on your knee pads. You'll spend several minute chasing your watch. I, uh, heard this one once... yeah.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it today after clearing the CMOS. It worked OK for a few minutes and started again. Can anyone advise if salt water or sand can cause this? I was hunting on the beach both times this happened. The Pointer did not get anywhere near the water but the sand under the surface was wet. I will have to test it again away from the beach to see if it still acts up. It is only 2 weeks old and I have used it about 5 times.
Thanks
Pete

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called the local distributor where I bought it. He is a strictly metal detector shop and has been in business for many years. He told me that it is the salt water and minerals in the sand. He told me to test it at another location with regular soil he said if it is faulty he will call the company and replace it.

He also told me that the new Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer (carrot) will react to the salt water and minerals in the sand.

Will test and advise.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is doing the same thing. It goes off in the hole and will not pin point. Replace batteries and ground balance. Have to turn it off and then back on. Getting to be a hassle. You get a fix hit the like button so I will come back and see. Good luck!

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you working at the beach? Near wet sand? I see nothing in any literature by Garrett that warns users about this. Also the guy in the metal detecting shop told me Garrett's water proof model will act the same way. (AT Pinpointer). I am now reading up on ground mineralization.
I will advise.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the guy is wrong. This is what it says on page 3 of Garrett's manual.
"The Garrett PRO-POINTER is ideal for the recovery of small items in a wide variety of hunting conditions, ranging from highly mineralized ground to saltwater- saturated sand."

See attached link:

MetalDetector.com › Garrett_pro_pointer

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe... grammatically... they mean that the Garrett PRO-POINTER is ideal for recovering small items [LIKE] mineralized ground [AND] saltwater-saturated sand.

hee hee.

-Skippy

I guess the guy is wrong. This is what it says on page 3 of Garrett's manual.
"The Garrett PRO-POINTER is ideal for the recovery of small items in a wide variety of hunting conditions, ranging from highly mineralized ground to saltwater- saturated sand."

See attached link:

MetalDetector.com › Garrett_pro_pointer

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine always worked perfect. It will find buckshot under water. I use shoe goo to water proof. It never got wet inside. I can shake it and it stops buzzing lol

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Detectnix is a pulse pinpointer- it does not false. It finds the radiator here at 12 inches plus. And it has a picture of a gorrilla on the box! Highly recommended!

9v rechargable.-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread