Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
someone has had to lose some silver in order for you to find it. You did find a Silver ring,and clad adds up. Ive been saving mine, Ive a couple of hundred dollars in a container found with my md's. I've found mercs and silver quarters in a yard that was hunted out. Keep on hunting, the goodies will show up.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
location and persistance.add a little luck and skill with machine.....and patience !!!great finds happen,tho not often.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go all over Northern Ohio (within 50 miles of my house). I average 1 silver coin every 20 hours of detecting since last May. Most were found on private property with permission. You need to look for houses built prior to 1960 to increase your chances on finding silver. Now if you want older coins, you need to find homes built earlier or parks that date back to prior to the turn of the 1900's.

If you are discriminating anything above foil, you may be missing nickles, both new and old and Indian Head pennies. I sure there are other older coins that I did not list.

Remember this is a marathon and not a race. If you got into this hobby thinking you're going to find treasure on a daily/weekly basis, you're in for a unpleasant surprise.

Good Luck.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with other members, just have to do the research or go cold calling on private property to find the good stuff.
If you decide to upgrade , give me a call
thanks

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know its not top of the line but hey im working with what i got here lol i have a gold digger bounty hunter, cant really seem to find much of anything but clad, an one silver ring..... Any tips? Anything help!!!

Hey, I know the feeling. I've never found a single silver coin, and the oldest of the two IndianHead Pennies is from only 1940. I'm certain they just "happened" to be in regular loose change.

That being said, as a result of all the clad I've found, I now have a VERY extensive US coin collection dating back to 1802. While it would be great to "find" the coins, ultimately, they end up just being collected, (*or so I've told myself, because I can't find them!*)... to that end, I've used my clad coins to fund my e-bay coin buying.

I take the coins to the bank, deposit them, then use that amount of money to buy coins on eBay!

As a result of my clad finds (and I only got into this hobby in January!) I now have approximately $18.75 in silver coins, and full type sets of half-Cents(just completed that yesterday!), Large Cents, several 2 cent coins, 3 cent trimes and nickels, about a half-dozen half dimes, and type sets of Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars back to Capped Bust, and an example of a peace dollar, and several Morgans. I even scored a 20 cent piece! 100% funded by Clad, and a few sales of rings found by me.

When people come over and talk about my hobby, and I tell them I really only find clad, and they sort of dismiss it. Then I show them what all that clad has bought, and their attitude changes significantly. It really is a nice collection, and I'm only missing a few draped bust examples from dime, quarter, and half, a trade dollar, and seated liberty dollar, and I'll have a full 19th century type set. Those last few are going to take a while of saving, but I'll get them!

This year alone, I've cleared $300 in clad, and it's only half-way through the year! I pretty much go only at lunch time and a few nights a week for a few hours. A few trips are really great, but most of the time, it's about $3 in clad a trip. Half the fun for me, is selecting the coin I want, too, then finding a great deal on it on eBay. You can totally score this way, if you're patient. I have NO doubts, I could walk down to a coin shop and sell my collection for more than what I paid... Part of that is the completeness of it, part of it is that in some cases, I paid less than spot! (*aren't auctions great?*), and that doesn't account for the numismatic value!

Stay on it, collect your finds, and you'll discover your hobby will actually be VALUABLE (First hobby I've ever had where I MADE Money).

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And also...

The recommendation to stay persistent is a good one. I'll go several trips of boring finds, and then whammo, I'll have an outstanding one, where I'll find several nice rings. It's weird that way.

Best example I can give is that it's like fishing. You don't always catch the big one, but the more you go, the more likely you are to catch a lot, and occasionally catch a big one. ;) One thing is for sure, unless you're swinging the coil, you'll not catch anything...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know its not top of the line but hey im working with what i got here lol i have a gold digger bounty hunter, cant really seem to find much of anything but clad, an one silver ring..... Any tips? Anything help!!!

I haven't been doing this long either, I have not found ANY silver yet, but I did find a tungsten wedding band and I'm up to about $12 in clad. I've learned pretty quickly that timing and location are everything. It pays to work on strategy. Some of my best finds were with a $40 harbor freight metal detector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HistoryHunter22

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its deffinatly funall around even if i just pick up pull tabs, i was just wondering becouse i know i dint have the fancyest machine an everyone picking up the good stuff does, picking anything out the ground is excitment for me lol

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its deffinatly funall around even if i just pick up pull tabs, i was just wondering becouse i know i dint have the fancyest machine an everyone picking up the good stuff does, picking anything out the ground is excitment for me lol

Don't worry about it, just keep going. I can't imagine many people here started with a fancy machine. Definitely save for that next detector, but all it's really going to do is help you determine if a target is most likely a bottle cap or most likely a pull tab or a can, but much of the time YOU WILL STILL DIG IT if you are looking for gold because gold jewelery can fall anywhere depending on the composition.

I'd probably be using my $40 detector if the handle hadn't broken off! It's ok though it forced me to upgrade sooner than expected!

Last edited:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been doing this long either, I have not found ANY silver yet, but I did find a tungsten wedding band and I'm up to about $12 in clad. I've learned pretty quickly that timing and location are everything. It pays to work on strategy. Some of my best finds were with a $40 harbor freight metal detector.

My son KILLED it with the Harbor Freight Metal Detector. It forced him to dig up everything... it was a bit slower for clad, but he found lots of weird stuff. In the 2 weeks we had it, he found about $13 in change. Then we upgraded him to a Ace 250. The amount of trash has gone way down, but his finds haven't improved because now he thinks he can go fast, and misses stuff. LOL

Skippy

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah the cheap detector sort of forces you to dig, and the $ detector convinces you not to :D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember you have to get your coil over a good target to find it no matter what detector you use...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah the cheap detector sort of forces you to dig, and the $ detector convinces you not to :D

Yes, but once you hit the sweet spot of "knowing" your detector, you can spend a whole lot more time swinging and digging real targets, than you ever could with a cheaper model. Today I found $8.63, and literally dug only 1 piece of trash.. and that's because it was in the hole with the coin I targeted. I'm certain I missed some things, but my purpose was coin hunting, as much $$ as I could in 1-hour. No need for pennies, and I only found 3 (suckers rang as dimes, little liars).

EDIT: actually I did find two pieces of trash. one rang up solid gold and it turned out to be a pulltab. No surprises there, but I always dig solid targets that "might" be gold. I've been positively surprised 5 times this year already. :)

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions