BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently signed up for a group of metal detector volunteers on lostmystuff.net . Are there any other groups or websites that help people recover their lost items? I know some people provide this service for a fee and even produce business cards. Although I haven't ruled out this method, I am just curious as to other ways to give back while exercising this hobby I have come to enjoy so much.

To each their own and I don't want to start any battles or conflicts as I am sure some of you are in this for everything you find and that is okay in my book too!

Upvote 0

Carpdogman

Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a ladies gold ring at a playground a few years back. I continued to detect finding some coins. Within the hour an older woman came to me and explained that she had her grandkids at the playground two weeks prior and had hunted for the ring numerous times. I did not tell her I had found a ring but asked her to describe the ring. Her description matched the ring I had found. I told her I had her ring and placed it in her hand. A flow of tears followed and I refused compensation. Her joy was enough for me to remember to this day.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently signed up for a group of metal detector volunteers on lostmystuff.net . Are there any other groups or websites that help people recover their lost items? I know some people provide this service for a fee and even produce business cards. Although I haven't ruled out this method, I am just curious as to other ways to give back while exercising this hobby I have come to enjoy so much.

To each their own and I don't want to start any battles or conflicts as I am sure some of you are in this for everything you find and that is okay in my book too!

I recently joined lostmystuff.net as well, no alerts in my area as of yet. I also ordered some business cards, mainly to hand out when I go door-knocking to hunt on private property. This is just a hobby for me, so I would try to return any identifiable item.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I signed up on many of those sites, but, the only one that I get hunting gigs on is TheRingFinders.com. I've been a member for about 5 years now and have dozens of successful returns. Not a peep out of the rest of them.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am a member of theringfinders.com a great operation.experts only however and high end equipment.greatest feeling ever handing back a sentimental item.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought about it, but there's a really top notch guy who does the ringfinders thing in our area. I'm not into this hobby as a "job" though, and would prefer to leave that portion to those that are.

I LOVE to return rings (it's a great feeling, as others describe), but at this point, I've decided I won't turn down any offers for compensation or reward.

That's my take on it though.

I've also developed a standard answer to "Hey, have you found my ring!?" to all the jokers in the parks who hope to score a free ring. "Nope! Not Yet, but for $20 an hour I'm happy to look for it! What's the description?" That shuts em down pretty quickly. :) I figure if they really DID lose a ring, a conversation would start.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is a "job", it's the most fun I've ever had "working"! :laughing7:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is a "job", it's the most fun I've ever had "working"! :laughing7:

I'm glad you think so... I think the moment I took money to "Look" for something it'd either become weird, or great. Not sure which, yet...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let them decide what it's worth. Doesn't seem weird at all doing it that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread