Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Stinkin' zincoln or maybe a sterling pendant

So I have adopted a habit of walking past any vdi of 76-78 on the ATP since every single time I have dug that number it has always been the same ticket, a nasty dirty rotten stinkin' zincoln.......until now. Every now and then I will dig those numbers just to confirm what I know ( or what I thought I knew). A couple weeks ago I got that same vdi and scratchy in between high and mid tone but it was just a touch different in its sound. It peaked my curiosity so I knelt, and dug this gold on sterling pendant...
IMG_20150814_185631.jpg IMG_20150814_190104.jpg
I still don't like digging those numbers since this is the first good target in over a thousand zincolns I am sure. I have heard of people digging gold rings in this range, but I have yet to see it. Oh the dillema....to dig or not to dig.

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skip a lot of signals in this range for the same reason. I've never found anything in that range but pennies or trash.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also skip that range because of those Zincoln's! Nice find, also just added Zincoln's to my spell check.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skip those readings too, if they're more than an inch down in grass and not in an area where Indian cents might be found. At the beach, I scoop them all. Now and then you'll find a nice little silver item in that range. In a junky park, it's just too much trouble for a possible decent find.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm the same way. It seems the rare find in that range isn't worth much anyway and time is better spent on the quality signals. I did find the hard way that a big honkin' 14k class ring that I found for a friend comes in pretty close to a zinc. Would have saved me a bunch of time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a different story if I'm looking for something specific. You have to dig anything close to what you're looking for, just to make sure your don't miss it.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, but that's where knowing your machine comes in.

You didn't dig this because it sounded like every other zincoln cent... it was "just" a bit different. I dig "different" as well, and find I'm pleasantly surprised quite often.

The hit ratio of digs to good finds, has definitely gone up, the more I get to know my machine. Am I missing things in the ground? I like to think Not. What's for sure, though, is that I'm finding a LOT more, so I can't complain!

SKippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread