At gold

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only had my AT Gold since January but this is what works for me. Ground balance often as soil conditions can change quickly and go slow until you get used to all the tones. I was a little overwhelmed by all the chatter at first but have gotten used to it now and only pay attention to the high/mid tones. The 5x8 DD coil works great in most conditions and if you pinpoint well your target will be right under where the shaft meets the coil. Invest in a good pinpointer, like the AT "carrot", this helps find things faster especially if the target is small. Use headphones to hear the faint signals. If you get a good repeatable signal, use iron audio to see if there is any iron content in the target and determine if you want to dig it or not. Gold, lead, nickels and aluminum pull tabs ring up with a VDI# around 53 and you have to dig them all if you want to find the good stuff. Lube up the o-rings for the coil, headphones and battery compartment before getting in the water. I just tried water hunting a couple of weeks ago and it was a great experience. Lately I have had the best luck with mine using disc 1, iron disc about 40, sensitivity 2 notches from max with the threshold at 0. I go detecting about twice a week and have dug over $300 in clad, many old coins and over 30 pieces of jewelry including many rings using these settings. Good luck and happy hunting! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and run an AT Pro, Love it, yours runs slightly higher frequency @ 18Hz I believe.

Same principal as mine...

1. Make sure the wire is wrapped TIGHT around the leg of the MD, and make sure all connections are TIGHT, this is super important.
(You do not want slack in the cable if you can avoid it, it can cause jumpy readings -So I have found)

2. Make ground balancing a hobby in itself. being these machines are very sensitive, it makes all the difference. IF you change from grass to hard soil, GB. If you go from DRY sand to WET, GB... and so on.

3. Get a 5x8 search DD coil. It will make your life so much easier, also, get coil covers for longevity.

Lastly... Have fun! Don't take it too seriously. Enjoy the adventure and good luck on your finds!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Pro and the Gold...I do like the Pro mode of Pro and its sounds better, BUT I've found way more gold with the AT Gold!

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Guys i sure appreciate the in depth responses, thank you very much! Going out tomorrow for my first outing with my Gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread