Ignorance with people

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was metal detecting I had about an hour to metal detect before I had to go to work and I was metal detecting made it about 20 minutes and this van shows up a mobile dog grooming van. She pulls up in the grass where vehicles are not supposed to be. and then she yells to me that I need to move out of her way so she could do a photoshoot and it would probably take about an hour. I told her are you kidding me and she says can't you just go somewhere else . and I looked at her and said you know I was here first . then she asked me do you even have permission to metal detect here. and then I said as a matter of fact yes I do. and then she says can't you just go somewhere else for an hour . so I got mad and left. What would you do in this situation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would have been easy and quite tempting to spout off and give her a piece of your mind. After giving it some thought, I would have probably approached it as follows. If she was nice enough right away, I would probably have said ok, sure, I can move elsewhere. I would then maybe ask a question or two about her business, what does she do, what do the services cost, etc. Just to see if she's genuinely nice and not likely to be a trouble-maker at a later time. I would make it sound like I could be a potential customer; who knows, maybe I could be some day.

If she were rude right away, I would have said, "sure, I am just finishing up" and then would have taken another 10 minutes or so, just to establish the fact she couldn't push me off public land at her discretion. Overall, still best to leave and avoid a potentially nasty confrontation. Now if she did that to me a second time, I might not be so willing to budge.

As others have pointed out, there are glassbowls just about anywhere you go these days. Best to pick and choose fights wisely.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
if it were me I literally would have continued doing what I was doing, then paused when she was finished talking, looked at her and said "cool story", and then continued about my business. and if she called the law then she would look like an even bigger idiot. but in the spur of the moment you did the right thing.
Simply hit the ignore button. If that didn't work, I would turn up the threshold a little more, up the volume and begin singing "Amazing Grace" out loud. If that didn't work, I would probably begin praying out loud and asking God to forgive this lady for her rudeness and ask Him to open all of our eyes to the needs around us......If that didn't work then :violent1:
jk

Both too funny:laughing7:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have ignored her. Pretended I was deaf lol.

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all like you said you were there first so I would have smile at her and said have a nice day I have as much right here as you do (or did she ??)and go about my business oh and you said she was doing a photo shoot -- guess what I would still be smiling as I 'm walking by in the photo's:laughing7:

gunfighter6

Greenie
Jun 17, 2012
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett 750 (long time ago!)
Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled my pants half way down to make sure she can see my "crack" problem every time I dug a find, scratched my b%lls a lot when ever she was looking my way and generally been a redneck and kept my phones on and ignored her, anytime I caught her looking...... Having said that you probably did what was best.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
If she was a totally rude 6itch . I would have asked her if she had gotten her Rabies shots , was housebroken and had been spayed .
If she was halfway decent I probably would have stayed out of the camera angle and watched the shoot as I really like dogs .
Just kidding about the first part as I tend to stay away from all people when detecting anyway . Some people will "talk away" all your detecting time if given a chance .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread