Why is it always a 1965!? Well...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son complains consistently, when he finds 1965 quarters and dimes. "Only ONE YEAR OFF!" he exclaims!

I keep trying to explain to him, that one year or ten, it doesn't matter. The reason the 1965s are showing up is because they're NOT silver. They get left in circulation on purpose. I've even pointed out that he simply throws his 1965 into the jar to be banked like the rest of the clad (thus, placing it BACK into circulation), but it doesn't seem to matter. "It's only ONE YEAR OFF!"

He makes me laugh.

It either IS silver, or it is NOT silver. There's none of this, "SOOOOOoooo close!" stuff. :)

I don't think he'll ever understand though, because the idea that it's just ONE YEAR OFF, absolutely, without a doubt, KILLS HIM. Ha!

-Skippy

Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 40...fully understand what you are saying....and it still kills me to be a year off.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1965 Quarters!!! Once I find one on a hunt, I feel cursed. I can find wheat pennies after the 1965 quarter but nothing else old:BangHead:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think he'll ever understand though, because the idea that it's just ONE YEAR OFF, absolutely, without a doubt, KILLS HIM. Ha!

I have a buddy like that. I tried to explain a few times, now I just laugh inside... as opposed to lol!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta admit...I've said it too...dam one year off !!! lol

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we all feel the same way...65 had a high year mintage...remember research location location location....and some luck! i spend 4-10 hours a week researching different areas picture photos and reading a bunch!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we all feel the same way...65 had a high year mintage...remember research location location location....and some luck! i spend 4-10 hours a week researching different areas picture photos and reading a bunch!

Oh, I'm pretty much guaranteed the only silver we'll come across will be in the form of jewelery Why? Location Location Location... :) All the places we hunt are city parks and schools. None older than about 1995.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate when you dig a 1964 quarter at 5" and then a 1965 quarter at 7"! I say, "that's not fair!" :censored:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I never hate when I dig a 1964 quarter! More accurately, I will never hate when I dig a 1964 quarter...

Beepndig

Aug 19, 2015
CO
Detector(s) used
Ace350, pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say i hate it either, cause i would rather dig a quarter than twenty five Lincoln's....... But i do get a bit of a rush when the third digit is a 6. and a bit of a let down when the fourth is a 5. of course, i havnt found my first silver quarter yet. but the thing i find amusing is how worked we get about a silver coin that may have up to a three dollar value. happy hunting

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I said this the other day when I thought I had found my first war nickle. I've only been metal detecting for two months now and I've said this three times so far. I have had a dime a quarter and that war nickel that all got me on the one-year-off

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldnt say i hate it either, cause i would rather dig a quarter than twenty five Lincoln's....... But i do get a bit of a rush when the third digit is a 6. and a bit of a let down when the fourth is a 5. of course, i havnt found my first silver quarter yet. but the thing i find amusing is how worked we get about a silver coin that may have up to a three dollar value. happy hunting

Actually, I think that's kind of the point... That quarter is worth up to $3! Awesome!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol I said this the other day when I thought I had found my first war nickle. I've only been metal detecting for two months now and I've said this three times so far. I have had a dime a quarter and that war nickel that all got me on the one-year-off

I think if MDers went coin roll hunting once in a while, they'd probably think a bit differently about the "one year off." they're so common that it's really not a big deal. People stripped out the silver, and left the rest. 1965 or 75, it's just a clad coin... (unless we're talking 40% halves!)

Skippy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never hate when I dig a 1964 quarter! More accurately, I will never hate when I dig a 1964 quarter...
I guess I worded that wrong. I don't hate the '64 quarter, I hate the situation where, after finding that beautiful '64 quarter, you get another similar sound, only to find a '65 clad 2 inches deeper! You expect it to at least be another silver quarter. based on depth. it should be older, maybe even a SLQ. Big let down when you see the copper edge.

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in late 1964, the government went into full panic mode. They had to manufacture enough new clad dimes and quarters to refill the countries coin supply because all the 1964 and earlier silver coins were hoarded out of circulation in a matter of just a few weeks. Every coin stamping machine was used to make 1965 clad coins, so if you look at the production numbers, 1965 was a huge year. The antique coin press located at the Carson City Mint was brought back into service to manufacture 1965 coins, so that is how tells us how big the problem was back then.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish they would have put the CC mint mark on them! Then everyone would be going crazy looking for the mint mark every time they found a '65!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last dime was a 67, it was only 3 years from silver!!! There has been two major spikes in silver price since the 60's. Back when the Hunt Brothers were messing with the market, and this last time which I still think it was someone messing with the futures market. Lots of stuff got melted during those times. Theres silver out there though, everytime you hunt the chances of finding some gets better and better.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug some 1965 quarters from depths that suggest they were dropped circa 1965. In those instances, they were just one year off. The person who dropped them could have just as easily dropped a silver quarter. Generally speaking though, the one year off philosophy is wrong since 1965 quarters are being dropped somewhere at this very moment.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what u mean 65 quarter, oh man I hunt my favorite park so far I found rosies, merc and wheats but no sliver Washington. I found 65,66,67 quarters but it's still cool when I get that quarter signal , this could be the one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread