Any hints?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Okay I live in an area that was established in 1793. The actual bulk of settlement activity did not take place until after the Louisiana Purchase and most of the locales around here date to early 1810s. I have been out a LOT and have found only one silver coin a 1957 silver quarter and 8 Wheat pennies dating from 1918-1956. What am I missing? I have three cheap rings, over 200 clad coins, some cool "relics" from this century and one button that may be around 100 years old according to the forum and a local Civil War buff. There was only one Major battle in the area during the CW but there were 4 forts, one of which is still standing. Any Idea why I am not finding any old coins? I am using a Deleon and the above mentioned quarter was dug at 7-8 inches(measured) I dug a 1940's coffee strainer basket last night at 9 inches!!! this thing is made of aluminum and is 3.5 inches around! I think my detector is going deep enough. I am guessing that the area is picked clean. Anyway I thought some of you may have some tips or hints on areas to try. Thanks

Upvote 0

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
Could be any number of things. While no place is ever really "hunted out", most of the old stuff may already have been found.

Another possibility is that they are just too deep. Coins migrate deeper over time depending on soil compaction and type. If there is no layer of clay to slow them down, they might just keep moving down. If your '57 was at 7-8", think where older stuff might be!

Sounds like you're doing it right, so don't get discouraged. Heck, you already found *some* silver :).

Wally

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Gee

Finding a 1957 quarter at 7" to 8" really means you do have unstable soil. Sandy soil? You might try areas such as hill tops or gravel areas, rocky areas where the sink rate is less. Here is an article by Dankowski.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/recentindex.htm

As he stated a deeper detector may not be the answer as coins still may be beyond present VLFs depth. It would be interesting to take a PI such as a GP 3500 to see beyond present day VLFs.

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As good as the Deleon is it might not be picking up the deep coins. If you are using to much sensitivity, you maybe nulling them out with the minerals. Have you tried All Metal? Are you overlapping your sweeps? You could have gotten the other coins by percentage sweeping. Keep the coil near the ground for the whole sweep and don't use it like a weed whacker. Have you tried a larger coil? Less discrimination helps get more depth too.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread