CEMETERY ETIQUETTE ??

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
EDDEKALB said:
i hate these threads
side note people die in spanish shipwrecks no ones crying about them getting "plundered"
pffft lame........
by the way thanks general sherm 8)

DeKalb,

"thanks general sherm". ;D

Yes, it has a certain ring to it.

General Sherm. ;)

They could name a town after me.
Just a small common mid-west town.
Generalville. ::)
Has a nice ring to it :P

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In rural NY I knew an oldtimer that detected in a cemetery (early 1800's) near his house. He didn't find too much. But he did have a habit of repairing the headstones, cleaning vines off of them, etc. because the cemetery was not being cared for at all. He said it helped clear his conscience.

I wouldn't detect in a "modern" graveyard regardless of the laws (just due to the fact that they are private property), but I would detect "derelict" ones.

I think the argument hear boils down to those people who are religious and see this as desecration of something holy, and those that just see it as a place where dead folks are buried, and since they're dead how can they mind a little digging.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
When one hunts in a cemetery, you do not know if you are over a gravesite or not. That's the rub. Many graves are unmarked. I personally wouldn't mind hunting a cemetery, the top three inches, anyway, but I have to consider others' feelings, too. I do not consider a cemetery "holy ground." I consider it a place where dead people are buried (and some of you would consider me "religious"). :) However, not all people think like I do. But in considering that people place momentos on graves that are special to them and the person buried there, I wouldn't want to disturb any of those items. So, what's left to hunt in a cemetery? Not much. So I don't.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well, since it seems to be a question of desecration, I guess I'll chime in:

1.) If the proper rules of detecting are followed (filling your holes, picking up visible trash, leaving no sign you were there, etc.) then there is no vandalism or desecration. We're not talking about grave robbing or digging for items buried with the deceased. One would be looking for items that were dropped by the living. Is a Barber dime that falls from a pocket in a cemetary and more sacred than one that falls in a park?

2.) Of course one should not detect in an "active" graveyard. Not because of some mumbo-jumbo about it being holy ground, but because it would make the mourners feel uncomfortable. In long defunct cemetaries, where the grandchildren of the ones buried are long dead, your only obligation is to not vandalize and not disturb the graves themselves. Christians themselves speak of "ashes to ashes, dust to dust"... the physical part of a person returns to the ground, while the soul travels beyond. Coins and such are not part of the spirit world, they're minted for the use of the living.

3.) Today, at least, people buy their burial plots, making the area directly over the bodies PRIVATE PROPERTY... and since the owner CAN'T give permission, don't detect directly over graves.

4.) Local laws and the rules of public vs. private property still apply

5.) The idea of "what will people think" should be considered, but not be the final decision maker. Every place we detect is considered "inappropriate" by someone. Its part of the game. If I stopped hunting in every public place that someone said "should you be hunting here?", I'd have no place to go. If your in the right legally, it only comes down to how much scorn can you take. I personally could care less about what others think of me, and I'll let them know that to their faces.

So, given these factors, I'd say I have no moral problem detecting for dropped items in 1.) long abandoned cemetaries, on 2.) public land, if the 3.) law permits, in 4.) areas not immediately around the graves. But would I do it myself, probably not... only because there are plenty of other areas that are far less hassle.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
aghhh ghouls gold :o

be sure to wear a black hooded robe while doing it,the looks you would get are
bound to be priceless. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that "park" is most likely a battlefield site ---the markers were site markers where people died or fought from at during the battle --the burial place for them was most likely a near by graveyard---some old vets or local historical sic. group most likely marked the spots from later and put stones to show people where things "happened"--folks may have died there but since some one cared enough to "remember" them --they were most likely "properly buried" as they would say back in those days in a graveyard near by---Ivan

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
When we hunt cemeteries we have a protocol which works... we get some old white sheets; cut eye holes in them and then don them at midnight. Any interlopers are terrified by the sight of these wandering specters and leave us alone. The tough part is getting the grass and dirt stains on our sheets after we dig a hole. ;D

Seriously though; If you had a loved one in a cemetery would you be comfortable with people tramping around digging little holes all over? One needs to think of the perception the public will have of MD'ers if they see us doing this. Where I live we have tons of abandoned cemeteries that date back to the mid 18th century - I often think - dang there must be some neat stuff dropped in there over the centuries - however the MD community frowns on crossing this line - and it is probably a wise decision not to.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Apart from all the reasons posted before my only question would be why? I mean, your best places to detect are where coins CHANGED HANDS. Not much buying and selling at cemetaries.... ;)

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
So...where did fastfingers go? Hasn't been here to respond. Hmmm. What's the matter fastfingers...afraid someone will tattle tale on you?

Here's hoping when you're slinking around the cemetery someone does see you and calls not only the police but the rich woman in town who is on the historical preservation society and doesn't like people like you. Every town and city has one of these women ( or men) and they are the ones that will make your life miserable. Forget about the police and any possible arrest for trespassing or vandalism.

It's the retiree know-it-all busybody or bored rich 'my husband knows the mayor' housewife you'll have to deal with. Heck, you'll be glad you were arrested so you can take shelter in the police car.

By all means... GO DIG A CEMETERY!

::)

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I've never mentioned this site on the board, but these have always been my best land sites ever. I've found large, 2 & 3 cent pieces, every kind of silver, stacks of indian head pennies. All in cemetarys. There were huge city cemetarys back home in Ohio and I had the blessing from the head of them So much that he stopped to see what I was digging one day, when I turned over the plug, it was an indian head cent. He went right out and bought a MD, we were good friends from then on. I walk the road side where they would have parked horse & buggy in the old day, and walk the isles in the old sections. Never once had a problem.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Tricia said:
Ah yes, but you asked permission in the first place. That's the difference.
Didn't notice that the original poster said he wasn't going to ask for permission. Also if you notice, on this and other posts on this topic, permission is always suggested.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have been asked to help find corner markers for the plots in a cemetary. I'm going to check it out. Then I have permission to hunt the church and grounds around the cemetary. I would not hunt in the plot areas even if given permission.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
The original poster made it sound like they were going to sneak in there and pull an Indiana Jones.

And as I said...where is the original poster? They haven't been back to discuss any of this, have they?

That leads me to think this original poster was in it for the treasure hunting adventure and not really all that responsible.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
fastfingers said:
What are the rules for MD'ing cemeteries? There's an old one down the street. The headstones are from the 1700's. I would love to get in there.

Tricia said:
The original poster made it sound like they were going to sneak in there and pull an Indiana Jones.

And as I said...where is the original poster? They haven't been back to discuss any of this, have they?

That leads me to think this original poster was in it for the treasure hunting adventure and not really all that responsible.
Sorry, but if someone was going to "pull an Indiana Jones" I really dont think they would care about the rules.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
>:( It's my interpretation of his tone. Not his words. Never mind. It's just a touchy subject for most of us.

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc
Just My 2 Cents
With the gaves being that old "1700s" there was most likely other structure such as a curch or homestead either one could be very productive. I personsally would not fell right about hunting around (ANY) well marked graves, or anyone that is still visited.
Silverhunter/dowser

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions